View Poll Results: Best 2010's Cartoon TV Series?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steven Universe

13 50.00%
  • Gravity Falls

9 34.62%
  • Bojack Horseman

5 19.23%
  • Adventure Time

5 19.23%
  • Over the Garden Wall

1 3.85%
  • Ducktales (2017)

5 19.23%
  • Regular Show

4 15.38%
  • Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

2 7.69%
  • The Amazing World of Gumball

2 7.69%
  • Venture Bros (is still going on??)

8 30.77%
  • other

6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best 2010's (Western, duh) Cartoon TV Series?

Default Best 2010's (Western, duh) Cartoon TV Series?

Just 3-4 months to the end of the decades, which of these will be to this decade as what Batman/The Simpsons was to the 90's or Kim Possible/ATLA was to the 00's?

what's a Rick & Morty

EDIT: aw crud, I forgot about Young Justice - apologies in advance y'all :<

Default Re: Best 2010's (Western, duh) Cartoon TV Series?

I'm shocked that Venture Bros is losing.

No Star Vs?

Boooo!

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    No Star Vs?
    Star Vs. knows what they did with that fucking finale

Steven Universe: Bright, fun, creative, both in its character designs and writing, astonishingly gripping and emotional, and it provides important life lessons to kids (and adults). I can safely say it gets my pick for best animated western show of the 2010's. And it might be my favorite Cartoon Network show of all time.

Gravity Falls: Another fun and creative show with some of the best humor in a kids show in recent years. I don't think the writing was as strong as SU and it could have used an extra season to flesh out its world a bit more, but still one of the best cartoons of the decade.

Bojack Horseman: Somehow manages to balance absurd humor with incredibly heavy subject matter. Pretty much a must-see for anyone who has suffered depression, anxiety, or existential crises. If not for SU, this would probably be my pick for best animated show of the decade.

Adventure Time: It was a great show that broke new ground and laid the foundation for future cartoons to follow. That said, it did go on too long and kinda lost its mojo partway through. And, for some reason, the writers were deathly afraid of ever changing the status quo, which really hurt it in the long run. Still, it managed to go out on a satisfying note.

Over the Garden Wall: Never really bought into the hype surrounding this show. Yeah, it was good, but I'm not sure I'd consider it one of the best ever (or even best of the decade).

Ducktales (2017): As someone who never got into the original Ducktales (never watched it as a kid and it does nothing for me as an adult) I think this is really great modern update of the series. Not amazing or groundbreaking, but still a lot of fun.

Regular Show: Never watched it

Scooby-Doo Mysteries Incorporated: Only saw the first episode. Eh, just not really a Scooby-Doo fan.

Amazing World of Gumball: Seen bits and pieces of it and what I have seen actually does look pretty good.

Venture Bros: Yeah, hard to believe this is still going and still only on its seventh season. Of course, when it does air it's still pretty dang good, but I would not object if they decide Season 8 is the last one.

And in addition, some shows not on the poll...

Spoiler:
    Rick and Morty: Loved the first season, but the second and third seasons, while good, I think tried too hard to appeal to its teen fanbase by being edgy and dark. Plus, the whole show is kinda overblown at this point.
    Spoiler:

Young Justice: Only watched the first two seasons and...yeah, it was good. Technically, I suppose it is a great show, but I don't think it resonated with me that much for whatever reason.

Archer: I really enjoyed the first few seasons, but after season 5 or 6 it kinda just...hasn't made me laugh as much. I don't even mind the coma seasons, it's just...I dunno. Maybe it's the humor being repetitive or just not as strong, but sometimes I almost feel like I'm watching it just out of obligation. And yeah, somehow this thing is still running even though no one really cares about it anymore.

The Loud House: Aside from the unfortunate revelations about the show's creator, this is still a really nice show. The writing isn't always the best and can be pretty cliched at times, but it makes up for it with a great cast of characters who all share relatable and heartwarming relationships.

Bob's Burgers: Nothing groundbreaking, but the cast is incredibly likeable and it actually has some really clever humor.

Legend of Korra: I suppose most people consider this to be the inferior follow up to The Last Airbender, but in some ways I actually prefer this series. Mainly in that it didn't have a MC that constantly got on my nerves.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: If nothing else, it proved that shows for little girls don't have to be just for little girls. Though the writing isn't always the best, the Mane Six are all adorable and lovable, and the show delves into some surprisingly wacky humor at times. Though, like Adventure Time, it really didn't need to go on as long as it did. Season 4 would've been a nice stopping point.

Phineas and Ferb: Kinda surprised how much I loved this show. Yes, the format of the show is highly formulaic and repetitive, but...yeah, that's kinda the point? It's almost like poetry in that its limitations paradoxically result in some wonderful creativity. Plus, the show is just charming and hilarious with its rapid-pace humor. One of my faves.

Star vs. the Forces of Evil: Not as cohesive or well-written as SU or AT or GF, but still a mighty fine show to come out of the decade that has good characters and also teaches great lessons to kids.

Teen Titans Go: The show everyone loves to hate on, but...I dunno. I like it.

Simpsons, Family Guy, and SpongeBob: END! EEEEEEEEEEEEND!

Phineas and Ferb all the way.
    Last edited by Riddler; September 10th, 2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Gravity Falls as a close second.

Does anyone here likes Miraculous?

Venture Bros isn't a 2010's show, it started in 2003. You might as well throw Simpsons, South Park and Avatar in if you're not going to have an actual hard line.

Also missing Rick and Morty, MLP:FIM, Young Justice, Korra, Axe Cop, Ok Ko, Infinity Train, Volton, a whole mess of Netflix shows, really a whole slew of things.
    Last edited by Robby; September 10th, 2019 at 05:28 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Axe Cop had a cartoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Venture Bros isn't a 2010's show, it started in 2003. You might as well throw Simpsons, South Park and Avatar in if you're not going to have an actual hard line.
    In my defense, Venture Bros at least had about half the episodes come out this decade, which makes more sense than Simpsons and South Park.

Also imo I don't think any of those shows you mentioned are up to par with the ones I already specifically mentioned in the poll (especially the first one lmao)

either way I think we can all agree that SU would still end up winning (and deservedly so, but it's nice to see which cartoon comes in second place...)
    Last edited by Pachylad; September 10th, 2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Robby edited his post and now I look like a jackass for seemingly deliberately missing OK KO D:<

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    In my defense, Venture Bros at least had about half the episodes come out this decade,
    55 episodes in its first four seasons, 26 episodes in its three 2010 seasons.

which makes more sense than Simpsons and South Park.
    Simpsons has had 220 episodes come out since 2010, and still another 22 or 23 episode season before 2020 hits. It's more pure screen time than a lot of those shows (many of them in the 10 minute format) combined. It'll be *pretty close* to half its total episodes by 2020.

Also Futurama had its final two seasons in the 2010's.

Also imo I don't think any of those shows you mentioned are up to par with the ones I already specifically mentioned in the poll (especially the first one lmao)
    Your opinion. I wouldn't say Rick and Morty is the best either, but its absolutely a strong show and its going to be running for years. And Ponies absolutely had strong early seasons and the episode count to at least be considered. It ran too long and folks lost interest after season six or seven (like a lot of these shows) but go back and look at the old thread here and see jut how much fun people were having with it for a long time....

either way I think we can all agree that SU would still end up winning (and deservedly so, but it's nice to see which cartoon comes in second place...)
    I give credit to Steven on a lot of fronts, and its probably the overall best in terms of being progressive and growing its characters, but they reeeeally blew their final season and had a loooot of padding and filler episodes along the way. It's super strong but I wouldn't just give it "the best" by default.

I probably have to give it to Adventure Time where, even thoguh the second half kind of sucked, it's what launched and set off the 10 minute "lets do crazy stuff" genre that many of these shows have followed and imitated. Regular Show and SU wouldn't exist without it.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Axe Cop had a cartoon?
    Last edited by Robby; September 10th, 2019 at 02:09 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'd put Avengers EMH,Thundercats, & Beware The Batman.......then I'm forced to remember one ended awkwardly the other two were fucked on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

There have been so many great animated series in the last decade that it's almost unfair to compare them all.

In terms of overall impact, Adventure Time takes the cake. Honestly I forgot to throw it a vote because I forgot it was even a 2010s cartoon, but it managed to encompass the entire decade, all while influencing the shape of western animation and promoting a lot of important staff who would later go on to make other great things within this decade (most notably, Steven Universe).

In terms of major impacts, Steven Universe is probably the most worthy for the way it single-handedly pushed forward LGBT rights and representation in western animation and media as a whole. On top of that it is an incredible show oozing with talent, style, charisma and important messages that have had a good influence on many people's lives, including my own.

In terms of overall best package, Over the Garden Wall is something I consider to be one of the greatest animated series of all times. It is a very tightly-written, memorable, emotional show that benefits greatly from being a miniseries. It's a masterpiece that combines incredible artistic talent with an instant-classic narrative to create a visceral sense of style that lingers long after the credits roll.

In terms of personal favorite: OK K.O. really deserves to be on that list. That show takes full advantage of what it means to be a cartoon to tell stories full of comedy, action and sincere, heartwarming messages. The whole thing is brimming with love and passion, and just about every frame of it fills me with joy. It's a celebration of creativity that is infectiously positive. It ended way too soon, but it still managed to have one of the greatest series finales of all time? If any of you slept on this show, please give it a chance!

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The OK K.O. extended theme song video is a great representation of so much of the good in the series, so ima post it:

Last edited by Wagomu; September 10th, 2019 at 02:40 PM.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I'm shocked that Venture Bros is losing.
    I haven't voted yet. Venture Bros is my favorite, but most of its seasons are pre 2010's. I would for sure consider Rick and Morty and Star Wars: The Clone Wars, as well.

but

It's probably Adventure Time. Steven Universe is neck-and-neck, but I think Adventure Time did a better job of "filler" episodes and preferred its extended cast. I think the whole storyline with Finn's father and backstory is among the best stuff of the decade, anywhere. So interesting, unique, and heartbreaking.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I'd put Avengers EMH,Thundercats, & Beware The Batman.......then I'm forced to remember one ended awkwardly the other two were fucked on.
    Avengers EMH is definitely my favorite Superhero Show of the Decade. It was so freaking comfy and might be the best Marvel Comics adaptation from top to bottom. I didn't watch Beware the Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Also missing Rick and Morty, MLP:FIM, Young Justice, Korra, Axe Cop, Ok Ko, Infinity Train, Volton, a whole mess of Netflix shows, really a whole slew of things.
    Yeah... maybe this poll should be restarted.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information