+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

Default Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/kev...es-1203305649/

Netflix is doing He-man now. It seems like it will be unconnected to She-Ra and in more of an anime style... and picking up directly where the 80's show left off? So not a reboot, and not counting any of the other series that came after it?.

It's also being led by Kevin Smith.

Um.

Kevin Smith has done some okay movies, a good tv show, a good standup routine, and a lot of terrible movies, but there is literally nothing in the man's career that convinces me Silent Bob is the right one to head a project like this beyond the fact he is eternally stuck in the 80's.

Going to keep this seperate from the She-Ra thread for now since it seems like they're going to be separate properties. If they end up sharing they can be merged at a later date.

Kevin Smith surprised audiences at Sunday’s annual Power-Con convention by announcing a new anime “He-Man” series for Netflix.

The new series, titled “Masters of the Universe: Revelation,” will take place in the Mattel toy inspired world and will focus on some of the unresolved storylines of the classic ‘80s show. Smith will serve as showrunner and executive producer.

“I’m Eternia-ly grateful to Mattel TV and Netflix for entrusting me with not only the secrets of Grayskull, but also their entire Universe,” Smith said. “In ‘Revelation,’ we pick up right where the classic era left off to tell an epic tale of what may be the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor! Brought to life with the most metal character designs Powerhouse Animation can contain in the frame, this is the Masters of the Universe story you always wanted to see as a kid!”

Mattel Television is producing alongside executive producer Rob David, the vice president of Mattel TV and author of “He-Man: the Eternity War.” Writers include Eric Carrasco (“Supergirl”), Tim Sheridan (“Reign of the Supermen”), Diya Mishra (“Magic the Gathering”) and Marc Bernardin (“Alphas”). “Castlevania’s” Powerhouse Animation will oversee animation for the series.

“’Masters of the Universe’ has been a cultural phenomenon for generations, inspiring fans to discover their own power within,” David said. “Fans of this franchise have been waiting for the continuation of these characters, and Kevin Smith, as a ‘Masters’ superfan himself, is the perfect champion and partner to expand the canon through a dynamic animated series on Netflix.”
    How many Star Wars references is it going to have? Will Jason Mewes be cast as a main character? Will there be hundreds of gay jokes?
    Last edited by Robby; August 18th, 2019 at 11:11 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

If we don't get a reference to "Why are we walking like this?" from Clerks: The Animated Series, I would be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Kevin Smith has done some okay movies, a good tv show, a good standup routine, and a lot of terrible movies, but there is literally nothing in the man's career that convinces me Silent Bob is the right one to head a project like this beyond the fact he is eternally stuck in the 80's.
    Sounds like he'd be perfect.....if this was a comic project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I mean, are we just going to ignore that the 80's cartoon canonnically continued into
    ?

Or ignore that we got a much better show that rebooted it, kept to the core idea, improved on everything about it, and never finished

Or even the "only got 26 episodes event hough we were clearly promised 52"
    ?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Ah, 2000s He-man... I still have the collector's edition DVD set with all the extra stuff. Color me interested.

It'd better have those cheesy "lesson of the day" endings though.

There is better have a 4 Non Blondes reference as well.

I mean, are we just going to ignore that the 80's cartoon canonnically continued into
    What the hell was this?

Or even the "only got 26 episodes event hough we were clearly promised 52"
    ?
    Why you had to go here Robby?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Don't remember if I ever watched the New Adventures of He-Man, but I did have some awesome action figures.

The last reboot was pretty awesome. Art, animation, storyline, action, everything hit a good spot. Really shame it was never finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    What the hell was this?
    The 90's He-man cartoon. He-man in space, basically. All the characters were less muscular and more slimmed down. No one remembers it because if it didn't have the name "He-Man" on it you'd never know it was the same franchise.

Somehow, even though it came later, it looks like it was made in the 70's.

And yes, canonically its the continuation of the 80's show. Changed the voices on the only returning characters though. SKeletor very different. It's more a precursor to Skeleton Warriors than a sequel to He-man really.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Apparently the whole thing is up on youtube.

Last edited by Robby; August 19th, 2019 at 05:19 AM.

The only episode I barely remember of the reboot was the one about the guy that could extend his neck.

The reboot was still pretty meh but its about as good as you could possibly expect while still keeping all the core aspects in place and not being allowed (or not wanting) to jettison or rework even the stupidest of characters.

He did Zack and Miri. That is good enough for me.

Besides its not like he could possibly make he-man worse

Fun fact: Mekaneck (spelling?) was my favourite character as a kid. Nowadays I'm just wondering who thought that it was a good idea for a character. I mean, you have a guy who can bulldoze whole buildings by ramming into them, a half-bird thing that can fly, a cyborg, a waspman, a gal that has some serious martial arts skill and a weapon-master man with a bitchin' moustache.

Oh, and he's a guy who can extend his neck. Here, have an episode where he feels inferior and useless!

and picking up directly where the 80's show left off?
    There's no way this will be an improvement over those supermarket commercials.
    Complicating things since 2009.

The show's apparently going to be called Masters of The Universe Revelation.

A radical return to Eternia, Revelation is a direct sequel series to the classic era of Masters of the Universe. Featuring fan favorites He-Man, Orko, Cringer, and Man-At-Arms, the story pits our heroic warriors and guardians of Castle Grayskull against Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Beast Man and the vile legions of Snake Mountain! But after a ferocious final battle forever fractures Eternia, it's up to Teela to solve the myster of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to prevent the end of the Universe! Her journey will uncover the secrets of Grayskull at last. This is the epic He-Man and the Master of the Universe saga fans have waited 35 years to see!
    It sounds like He-Man dies early on and the show will star Teela.

Oh geez. I can just hear the cries of the neckbeards that were outraged over the new She-Ra not looking like a sex doll, if He-man died 10 minutes into his show to be replaced by Teela.

I'm all for it. Let's make it Transformers the Movie up in here.

When I was a kid I stumbled onto some He-Man comic book at my cousins'. Had He-Man's grave and some stuff. Details are fuzzy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Oh geez. I can just hear the cries of the neckbeards that were outraged over the new She-Ra not looking like a sex doll, if He-man died 10 minutes into his show to be replaced by Teela.

I'm all for it. Let's make it Transformers the Movie up in here.
    I think it's a huge missed opportunity, since He-Man was pretty much the first gay protagonist in a kids show.
    It's 2019 now and they could properly explore that. But no, let's make another MOTU show starring a teenage girl.

Either way I'll watch it and support it if it's decent.

He wasn't gay, no matter what jokes people have made about the franchise.

He wasn't gay, no matter what jokes people have made about the franchise.
    They made an entire episode poking fun at the fact that he wasn't attracted to women.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information