+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

Default Re: Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

Not interested in women isn't the same thing as gay.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Not interested in women isn't the same thing as gay.
    That's true, but asexuality wasn't common knowledge at the time and not being into women was an extremely common euphemism for homosexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    He wasn't gay, no matter what jokes people have made about the franchise.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    That's true, but asexuality wasn't common knowledge at the time and not being into women was an extremely common euphemism for homosexuality.
    Even two men just living with each other without a woman have been viewed as closeted homosexuals, even when one of them has a ton of female love interests; look at how many jokes have been made about Batman & Robin over the years.
    Complicating things since 2009.

To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The more I think about this series the less I understand the motivations behind it or why it's being handled this way.

The idea of a fight to the death flies in the face of the original series' themes and character motivations. If the new show is a gritty reboot with a much more intimidating or hateable Skeletor and a more badass/morally ambiguous He-Man, why even bother claiming that it's connected to the corny 80s show?

Why bother giving it such a terrible, misleading name when something like Teela: Quest For The Sword would work much better?

Why not renew She-Ra for another season and use that to promote the new Teela series as a spinoff?

Why not cynically put He-Man's name in the title anyway for recognition purposes? Barely anyone knows who the Masters of The Universe are.

Pretty much everything about it would make more sense if it was a continuation of the reboot rather than the original '80s series.
    Complicating things since 2009.

SInce its going to be in new shiny anime style animation anyway instead of trying to match the old clunky 80's stuff... (If they went and got the Castlevania guys I assume they're going to shoot for something at least a little bit grittier and not as goofy) will there actually be anything to really honestly tell the difference between the two? Something that any laymen would instinctively go "oh, that's from this version". The 2002 show updated all the visuals but kept the basic designs and plot entirely intact ANYWAY so...

The kind of voice they shoot for on Skeletor I guess? How buff Adam is compared to He-Man?
    Last edited by Robby; August 22nd, 2019 at 09:03 AM.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

I have the gut feeling that Skeletor is going to be voiced by Tom Kenny.

The "ferocious final battle that forever fractures Eternia" sounds more like Batman V Superman than He-Man 2003.

Yeah i could see the gay thing.

Sounds very 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I have the gut feeling that Skeletor is going to be voiced by Tom Kenny.
    Will he be imitating Sammy Davis Jr. for this too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Jason Mewes is gonna be cast as Mossman. Cuz....yannow.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information