+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 950: A Soldier's Dream

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

Default Re: Chapter 950: A Soldier's Dream

This chapter has to hold some record in showing so many plotlines in a significant and entertaining way. From Lola to Law, I'm just pleased.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

I'm with Zoro there. How many of these stupid ninjas are there is a good summation of what i thought when they showed up in an already crammed arc. Atleast he's done away with like a third now so that's something of an improvement

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I'm with Zoro there. How many of these stupid ninjas are there is a good summation of what i thought when they showed up in an already crammed arc. Atleast he's done away with like a third now so that's something of an improvement
    I really think Oda has made cutoffs like this specifically for the anime to fill in so that there will be good and natural filler for the arc.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    They'll be back.

The only ones from the Oniwabanshu that Zoro has cut down are Raijin and Fuujin (one in this chapter, the other before escaping with Hiyori). They were the only two going for him anyway. The rest probably stayed in that whole mess in the capital. All those ninjas on the ground are just random footsoldiers.

The fact Stephen managed to make the "sunacchi" work in english... I'm impressed but not surprised.

So I decided to count all the graves of the people from 10 years ago, and I gave up after around 100 because I was losing track of which ones I already counted. But I think there's around 120.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Great chapter! Can't wait to see whats going on with Drake. I'm thinking Law managed to get some kind of important word out to Drake during that chaotic battle and Drake is stewing on it. Maybe something about their history and the Barrels Pirates? Though I think it's more likely that in the confusion Drake managed to get his personality swapped. Someone like Sanji could be infiltrating the Animal Pirates while Sanji's real body with Drake's personality is being tied down and gagged in safety.

I actually would have liked to have seen a seemingly related panel of Sanji being restrained by unknown hands and then later we learn he wasn't captured by the enemy at all. Just one of those all according to plan things.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    The fact Stephen managed to make the "sunacchi" work in english... I'm impressed but not surprised.
    Agreed! I remember I used to lurk around 2007 and a ton of the arguments would always be settled(more or less) with Stephen's scripts. To think that he'd eventually be the official translator is the stuff of dreams.

Hmmm now that I think about it I want Stephen's autograph! Next comicon I'm coming with his first translated volume and a sharpie.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Probably one of the more enjoyable recent chapters to me.

To shorten what I said in the spoiler thread. Momo's inner thought on how all these people just see him as his father and how much pressure he's starting to feel is a great Momo moment. Probably the first time I'm actually starting to like the kid and feel for his situation. Also starting to hate the "citizens of Wano" with their obsession with Oden. Acting like a child can really be their savoir just because he's their old Hero's kid.

Ashura is my favorite Scabbard now. Much better than Kawamatsu completely disregarding consequences of being jailed for all this time for a stupid barf joke. I hope we actually commit to the detail that some of these guys should be 20 years stronger than the time travelers, and it's not just a joke for this scene.

Would've liked a line or something from Killer. If he's just got the normal smile defects, he should've been able to say something. Kidd's more of a wildcard than I expected now, so eagerly await to see how he's gonna play in all this.

I'm really hoping for some fun shenanigans with Law/Hawkins/Drake. How long has Hawkins been part of the crew anyway (also being how long Kidd was in jail)? Week? Couple weeks? Also I guess I can't tell who's the one that's acting weird between Hawkins and Drake. My impression was Hawkins, but others say it's Drake?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcotty View Post
    Probably one of the more enjoyable recent chapters to me.

To shorten what I said in the spoiler thread. Momo's inner thought on how all these people just see him as his father and how much pressure he's starting to feel is a great Momo moment. Probably the first time I'm actually starting to like the kid and feel for his situation. Also starting to hate the "citizens of Wano" with their obsession with Oden. Acting like a child can really be their savoir just because he's their old Hero's kid.
    They don't necessarily see Momo as their savior, but rather as a goal/symbol to fight for. Him being here, along with the Scabbards, means Toki's words were true after all. Anyhow, after all of this is done, they need someone to lead them, and someone from the beloved Kozuki clan is the best choice to rally them to fight once more. As the title and Hyou both suggest, he represents their future after this is all over. Regarding the savior role, at least in terms of whom they hope can actually defeat Kaido and Orochi, that would be attributed to the Scabbards more than anything due to the prophecy.

I think describing it as an obsession is unfair as well. Oden is evidently a truly great man, its hardly any different from the adoration characters like Fisher Tiger or Otohime received. His era, although it abruptly ended, represents a time when Wano wasn't shit. It's not surprising they would latch onto anything that presents an opportunity for them to go back to those days, which of course includes Momo himself.

How long has Hawkins been part of the crew anyway (also being how long Kidd was in jail)? Week? Couple weeks? Also I guess I can't tell who's the one that's acting weird between Hawkins and Drake. My impression was Hawkins, but others say it's Drake?
    It's been 2 weeks minimum since 795.

And Drake is the one that's acting weird, evidenced by him brushing off Hawkins with "it's nothing". Also unlike Hawkins, he was technically unaccounted for, whereas with Hawkins we know that he was busy apprehending Law.

You'd be suprised by the kind of emotions a figurehead can evoke.

Now it's all for the motherland, for the royal family

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I really think Oda has made cutoffs like this specifically for the anime to fill in so that there will be good and natural filler for the arc.
    If only the anime actually took advantage of that. Instead they usually just pick a random gag and run it into the ground.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Hawkins : tell me your plans, Law
    Law: heh heh heh.. I will tell you everything.. *tells everything*
    Law: but do you think that Luffy will follow the plan? You have no idea!

Kid always finds a reason to not fight Luffy. It's entertaining. Wonder what will be the excuse next time. He needs to stop and admit he likes him like Katakuri did.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If only the anime actually took advantage of that. Instead they usually just pick a random gag and run it into the ground.
    They actually did a good job in Whole Cake Island with this. Example: they showed how Sanji managed to come back in his room after the meeting with Capone to do the alliance.

Quick thoughts cos I'm still pretty wiped out from a weekend illness.

Chiffon wanting to find Lola is a pretty logical for her as a character, but Lola was last seen heading the opposite way down the Grand Line, right? Going past Water Seven? So yeah, I don't think that's going to work out and the real plot of this cover story will jump us in the coming weeks (and then immediately be interrupted by another Stampede colour spread for the movie's release).

Kid rebuilding his arm is one of my favourite panels of recent weeks from a purely artistic standpoint. There's so much goddamn detail I love it.

The Momo spread sets the stage for the young man taking the throne at the end of the arc pretty well, but tbh King Riku got the same panel 20 volumes ago and I liked his version better. It's a little disappointing that after all the teasing Kawamatsu can't stick around any longer. I hope he transitions into Zoro's plot thread quickly.

The flashback sequence was a good and incredibly necessary one. It's realistic to show the weight of the last 20 years bearing down on the country, and how some absolutely would lose faith because of that. I think it puts the end of Zou into perspective as well: after 20 years of that kind of pressure and uncertainty, when proof that the prophecy would come true did appear its no wonder they were willing to hold to the last man to defend it.

The official explanation for Sunachi is surprisingly clever. I doubt it actually lines up with the Japanese version the same way, but it's great that it could be made to run so smoothly in English.

I'm looking forward to the lines about why it took 20 years to be used as theory fodder. We're being set up to believe Toki specifically chose this time period for a reason. Could she see the future? Or does she know something about a weakness of kaido or Orochi that only comes up however many years?

I think I saw some people upset Zoro got to take out so many ninjas all by his lonesome. Well, that's what they get for jumping him together like that. This is Japanese territory - the Inverse Ninja Law is in full effect!

Aaand Law is the captive. Right when everyone was expecting it to be a weaker Straw Hat, Oda was like "ha, you think I'd give Law a break from his suffering?"

My current pet theory about Drake acting strange is that the camouflage tech in Sanji's raid suit is also capable of illusions and he's used that to go undercover as Drake. Doing that Mr Prince thing for the first time in a long time.

Fun chapter overall, hard to say what could be focussed on next week with so many different subplots thrown up in the air on it. I'm hoping for more Law tho.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by NamiRobinFrankyAce View Post
    They actually did a good job in Whole Cake Island with this. Example: they showed how Sanji managed to come back in his room after the meeting with Capone to do the alliance.
    They also showed the offscreen parts of Brook's encounter with Big Mom, but the way it ended up looking and playing out was super disappointing imo. Sometimes ending on a dramatic point and letting the readers' imagination fill in the rest is a valid tactic for a better story.

You know what would have been a great filler opportunity though? Working some of the Ace novel into his appearance on Wano. Even a background cameo from Masked Deuce would have been a really neat way to solidify some of the psuedo-canon extra material in there. There's like 19 whole members of Ace's crew they could have fleshed out rather than stretching just the existing Wano characters.

Damn, my weekend was so crammed I just read the chapter now. It's a fun chapter. Not a fan of so many cutoffs but it is what it is.

As for Drake, I think Law managed to switch one of SH into him. Seems like a most fun development to me. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who thought of it, but haven't had a chance to skim through spoiler discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information