+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chapter 950: A Soldier's Dream

Default Re: Chapter 950: A Soldier's Dream

Kidd is Vegeta with cool power but he is boring as him . I hope he will change his decision and he will help Luffy and co at the udon prison

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    I've been thinking that King vs Zoro and Sanji vs Queen is going to happen since the moment they were introduced together and insulting each other.
    Yeah that seems to happen a lot with there other enemies too, Mr1 and Mr2 and Jabara and Kaku were both like that

This chapter was a decent "cool down" after all the action we had last chapter overall. I have no issue with this chapter.

However, it does touch on something that I feel is a missed opportunity with One Piece as a whole. I'm referring to the page where the prisoners are questioning if Luffy can really be trusted, due to his being a pirate. Only to have Momonosuke end that uncertainty immediately. Now, I understand why Oda downplays the fact that his protagonists are outlaws. But I often wonder what interesting directions this series could go in if that aspect of the story wasn't de-emphasized as much. Attempting to live as a wanted criminal isn't easy, having that as an obstacle for the main characters could present some intriguing conflict, like the example I mentioned before in this chapter. It's not a big deal, the page I cite from this chapter just brings up "what could have been" possibilities I like to think about.

I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. Jun Fukuda

I don't even care about the SH reuniting anymore. I want to see the Scabbards together. They look so happy when they make up. Neko and Inu. Inu and Asura.

Kyoshiro was nonchalant about Yasuie's broadcast in 941 and death in 944. Doubt he's Denjiro

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    This chapter was a decent "cool down" after all the action we had last chapter overall. I have no issue with this chapter.

However, it does touch on something that I feel is a missed opportunity with One Piece as a whole. I'm referring to the page where the prisoners are questioning if Luffy can really be trusted, due to his being a pirate. Only to have Momonosuke end that uncertainty immediately. Now, I understand why Oda downplays the fact that his protagonists are outlaws. But I often wonder what interesting directions this series could go in if that aspect of the story wasn't de-emphasized as much. Attempting to live as a wanted criminal isn't easy, having that as an obstacle for the main characters could present some intriguing conflict, like the example I mentioned before in this chapter. It's not a big deal, the page I cite from this chapter just brings up "what could have been" possibilities I like to think about.
    no possibilities are required, because it doesnt matter whether the prisoners trust him or not. all along since the start, most of the villagers the straw hats have saved did not really trust pirates but they still went ahead and did their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post

Kyoshiro was nonchalant about Yasuie's broadcast in 941 and death in 944. Doubt he's Denjiro
    What if Denjiro was always evil?

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

I've also seen some suggestions that Kyoshiro is Denjiro's son or has some other kind of close connection with him. So that's something else to think about. Just to confirm, we don't know how old Kyoshiro is, right? (Since I'm curious how old he would have been when Orochi took over.)

I liked the chapter decently well. Nice to have Luffy reunite with Momo and Tama, and we now have Kin's and Inu's more minor current storyline about their conflict with Ashura resolved. I hope we can just stay away from Udon Prison for a few chapters now (unless Act 2 ends within like a couple chapters and we jump to it after a timeskip or something); gotten pretty bored of that. But then again, been saying that for a few chapters now, and it keeps showing stuff there.

Kid's decision doesn't really surprise me. He's much less friendly and open to people than Luffy is, and I don't really blame him for having a distrust of alliances after Apoo and Hawkins (seemingly) abandoned him. (But then again, seeing what his personality is like, I can't entirely blame them, either, for not wanting to stick with him, lulz.)

And, surprise surprise, they skipped over the stuff in Rasetsu Town. Ugh. Well, I'm hoping there'll be some kind of brief flashback or even explanation of what happened, so maybe that'll be satisfactory. Also, since I saw some people questioning it, I got the impression from all three translations that Hawkins thought Drake was acting weird, and not the other way around. Drake is the one who's brushing it off like "It's nothing".

I was a little surprised that Law was the one to get captured again, since that leaves him three-for-three with getting beaten up and/or captured in the major arcs he's been in post-TS. (Not counting Zou, where the only bad things that happened to anybody were in flashbacks before Luffy's group got there.) But I think I can be onboard with it. Maybe he's just smirking at Hawkins saying he'll force him to talk like "Fat chance, bitch"...or maybe he has a plan. The theory that he body-switched somebody (like one of the SHs) into Drake, and that's why the latter is acting weird, would at least be cool if for no other reason than to show that Oda hasn't just decided to conveniently pretend that power stopped existing.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Kyoshiro is the stereotypical japanese fox-face character (I forgot the official word for it, it's not Kitsune), so I wouldn't put value on anything he does or says.

Speaking of sly characters, I almost forgot about the fact that Hyori is a scheming bitch behind the scenes. All these panels with Zoro really did some work to make me forget about it for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpanman View Post
    no possibilities are required, because it doesnt matter whether the prisoners trust him or not. all along since the start, most of the villagers the straw hats have saved did not really trust pirates but they still went ahead and did their stuff.
    That's exactly what I was talking about, it doesn't matter. It's an element of the story that could have been played around with more, there have been plenty of chances to do so over the years. But I understand why that's the case, it's not the story being told here. What I said concerning this chapter is just another illustration of this, that's all.

I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. Jun Fukuda

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information