+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 949: Mummy

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Default Re: Chapter 949: Mummy

"Why can't an outsider help protect your country?!!" I immediately had flashbacks to the Strawhats being outsiders help protecting other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee1000 View Post
    "Why can't an outsider help protect your country?!!" I immediately had flashbacks to the Strawhats being outsiders help protecting other countries.
    well...yeah? Lol what
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Discovered Stowaway

I didn't know Babanuki meant 'Old Maid' but considering all the card suit names and card game names in Kaido's crew it makes sense since Old Maid is a card game too. I'm used to names like Ginrummy and Holdem where it's pretty straightforward in English.

I'm guessing this Mummy disease is going to be as (in)effective as the Shinokuni gas, especially against Luffy where his Haki and Gear 3 made it not affect him at all once he bashed Caesar Clown.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by No Zaku View Post
    Did Oda straight up have Luffy kill/cause the death of Babanuki? I don't see how he'd survive that explosion in addition to the 200 doses of the viruses straight to his insides.
    He'll survive, but honestly, it would be kinda cool if he did die.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    He'll survive, but honestly, it would be kinda cool if he did die.
    Our first on-panel, undisputed death since entering the New World? Yeah, that'd come in handy.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Our first on-panel, undisputed death since entering the New World? Yeah, that'd come in handy.
    Well, I meant that people like him and Daifugo are such vile bastards, no one would really miss them or fault them for being killed.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Yasuie doesn't count?

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Yasuie doesn't count?
    Not until he's buried.

Discovered Stowaway

Yasuie doesn't count?
    There's too much craziness happening there yet. And with Hawkins' ability who knows, he might be playing both sides.

I'm a bit "Luffy'd out" at the moment, but still, enjoyable speech. Would've liked a little more from Chopper in the chapter, instead of just basic punching in Heavy Point.

I guess all the "actually brainwashed into fanatic loyalty to Orochi/Kaido" prisoners were just freed and enlisted into Kaido or Orochi's forces. I guess it makes sense. Just keep your basic or undesirable prisoners here in Udon, broken and hopeless and doing manual labor forever.

That or there aren't any actually brainwashed troops, the Beast Pirates are even more useless, and Killer's characterization when attacking Zoro and co was just really badly written.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I don't know about the exact connection to Japan, but I think this is embalming fluid. It's used as part of a process to preserve dead bodies and I think putting it in living humans can cause these same reactions from the chapter.
    I didn't realise embalming fluid could do that. Although, I also don't think any of the traditional mummy-making cultures would have used the same embalming fluid we have today.

May also be tied into the idea of a "Mummy's Curse".

Even without the shambling undead variant, having the people who unearth an ancient mummified pharaoh's tomb start to die off inexplicably soon afterwards, often linked to a curse or a disease, is a fairly common plot thread.
    That's not a bad idea. Old King Tut's curse came up in the news recently, actually, since they're planning to move his sarcophagus for display, and people are worried about the workers who have to touch it. I've never heard anything about it spreading from person to person after that though. Maybe it's something that just got lost in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    "Don't see how he'd survive that explosion" he he. he he he
    I understood that reference
    My Discord Roleplay! It takes place in modern-day Japan and features Japanese mythological creatures that players can play as and vampires and werewolves. Yakuza expansion is out too!
    https://discord.gg/sMsVfNX

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I didn't realise embalming fluid could do that. Although, I also don't think any of the traditional mummy-making cultures would have used the same embalming fluid we have today.

That's not a bad idea. Old King Tut's curse came up in the news recently, actually, since they're planning to move his sarcophagus for display, and people are worried about the workers who have to touch it. I've never heard anything about it spreading from person to person after that though. Maybe it's something that just got lost in translation.
    You know that Pokemon Confagrigus? It has the ability Mummy and if any Pokemon makes physical contact they also get the ability Mummy. Must be something in the lore of ancient mummies or something.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by No Zaku View Post
    Did Oda straight up have Luffy kill/cause the death of Babanuki? I don't see how he'd survive that explosion in addition to the 200 doses of the viruses straight to his insides.
    They'll probably give him a vaccine or something, it'd be pretty dumb to use a bio-weapon if they don't have a cure for it. Otherwise chopper will(should) make one. Other than Luffy who may be able to survive it, the other prisoners can't without the proper medicine.

It's a known fact a person turns into a mummy if bitten by one.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    You know that Pokemon Confagrigus? It has the ability Mummy and if any Pokemon makes physical contact they also get the ability Mummy. Must be something in the lore of ancient mummies or something.
    I did actually mention the pokemon ability in the comment before the one you're replying to. It's one of the reasons I was wondering if contagious mummification was a Japanese thing rather than just an Oda thing, since I'd never really heard of mummies having that specific property in western lore. (it's always more specific target curses in things I've seen)

Like was there a Japanese bit of pop culture that popularised it, or is it a trait that comes from Japan's own Buddhist mummies and their lore, or am I just overthinking it entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I did actually mention the pokemon ability in the comment before the one you're replying to. It's one of the reasons I was wondering if contagious mummification was a Japanese thing rather than just an Oda thing, since I'd never really heard of mummies having that specific property in western lore. (it's always more specific target curses in things I've seen)

Like was there a Japanese bit of pop culture that popularised it, or is it a trait that comes from Japan's own Buddhist mummies and their lore, or am I just overthinking it entirely?
    Maybe it just sounds similar to zombie (the first spoilers called the disease that) so the lore intermixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
    I understood that reference
    I did not to be frank. Would you care to explain ?

Lol like how no one dies in OP.

More specifically it's about Pell, the non-death that started it all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information