+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 936: Sumo Inferno

Diabetic Empress Eleganza Miss Saturday's Avatar

Default Re: Chapter 936: Sumo Inferno

Hey, so.. speaking of sumo matches. What happened to Urashima? Remember when he was introduced as a big deal and hyped up for a few chapters then disappeared forever? What was the purpose of that character? I mean he may show up again at some point but it's been a while. I feel like Oda has been doing that a lot lately and it's a sloppy crutch: Irrelevant, hyped up one-off characters just there to pad out the story or keep Luffy busy while the clock runs out on another plot thread. See also: Cracker.

So no one is talking about Sanji seeing bobs and vagine?

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanErrorist View Post
    So no one is talking about Sanji seeing bobs and vagine?
    It's something I try to ignore as best as I can.

Just have to accept that Oda finds it hysterically funny. Or maybe his editor pushes him into these nosebleed jokes, I don't know.

Like someone in the Spoiler section said, it feels like there are two different authors. One comes up with the original and funny gags, like the crab smile user who got outmaneuvered because he can only walk sideways, and then there is someone who insists to play the exact same pervert joke we've seen 50 times already.

Never been keen on the "mink traitor" theory, for me it looks like they somehow made a vivre card from Zunisha or have a vivre card of someone there that they got their hands on somehow and use it to locate Zou.

But if it turned out that there is an actual mink traitor, depending on the timeline of Hawkins joining the beast pirates, his crew member Faust(that black cat mink) does seem like a good candidate.
    Last edited by Kaizoku_Ou; March 18th, 2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    Never been keen on the "mink traitor" theory, for me it looks like they somehow made a vivre card from Zunisha or have a vivre card of someone there that they got their hands on somehow and use it to locate Zou.

But if it turned out that there is an actual mink traitor, depending on the timeline of Hawkins joining the beast pirates, his crew member Faust(that black cat mink) does seem like a good candidate.
    Faust hails from North Blue though. Also I don't see how he'd know specifically that Raizou was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Hey, so.. speaking of sumo matches. What happened to Urashima? Remember when he was introduced as a big deal and hyped up for a few chapters then disappeared forever? What was the purpose of that character? I mean he may show up again at some point but it's been a while. I feel like Oda has been doing that a lot lately and it's a sloppy crutch: Irrelevant, hyped up one-off characters just there to pad out the story or keep Luffy busy while the clock runs out on another plot thread. See also: Cracker.
    I feel focusing on Urashima misses the point of the first sumo match. The point was not that you would expect this new character as a big deal, the point was to introduce sumo as a concept so it could be iterated on with the inferno version, and presumably one more later version towards the end of the arc because narratives love the rule of threes. Urashima exists because if Wano has sumo as a popular sport, it stands to reason they'd have popular and champion athletes to go with that sport. If we were just told sumo was a popular sport, we could assume those characters exist, but it's just a part of Oda's worldbuilding that we don't have to assume that; we get shown it.

It's the same principal as a lot of the minor pirate crews we see not really needing to be a crew, just a captain and a mob of namless mooks, to advance the story, but Oda can't help giving basically every captain at least one named lieutenant to play off of. Just something that's meant to make the world feel populated and lived in.

Do you think the act II will end with the prison break ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    I very much doubt it. I don't see it taking much longer, and we're also not even yet at Komurasaki's funeral either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    I think a little after. Act One gave us a relatively self-contained story in Luffy and Zoro helping out Okobore town and beating Holdem, then ended on the big developments of the Kaido reveal and Luffy's defeat. At the minute we have two plot threads that are starting to feel relatively complete, i.e. the prison break and the palace infiltration/bathhouse follow up. But we still need the big development to follow those up and make for an actual finale. If I had to guess it'll have something to do with either Big Mom or the lore surrounding Ryuma and his sword.

Cut back to Komurasaki's funeral after the intermission as a cold open to Act Three. That's my prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

Just have to accept that Oda finds it hysterically funny. Or maybe his editor pushes him into these nosebleed jokes, I don't know.

Like someone in the Spoiler section said, it feels like there are two different authors. One comes up with the original and funny gags, like the crab smile user who got outmaneuvered because he can only walk sideways, and then there is someone who insists to play the exact same pervert joke we've seen 50 times already.
    It's only the one and only guy behind all jokes. Taken from SBS 92:
    D: Back on Zou, when Momonosuke mentioned that he met Roger, I thought that for some reason or another, this was an adult that became a child and was using his position as a child to get spoiled by Nami-san and Robin-chan. Now that we know that Momonosuke is someone who leaped through time and whose actual age is still 8 years old, doesn't that mean he is just a normal Perverted Kid!? P.N. Taku Miso

O: Think about it. Remember what it was like when you were an 8 year old boy. That's right, you were a pervert. All young boys are perverted!!

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

^
    Can‘t argue with Oda there, I was a was a pervert too. xD
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Jokes on him. I was pretty much asexual until I turned 12.

Who the hell is a pervert at age 8!

12 sounds a lot more reasonable if I remember well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Faust hails from North Blue though. Also I don't see how he'd know specifically that Raizou was there.
    All minks can find Zou by instinct (IIRC), it is the beast pirates that were looking for Raizo(Zou), my thought is Faust only provided the vire card(s)/means to get there if he's indeed the mink's traitor(if there is one) .

IIRC The 3 samurais + Momo were being chased while heading for Zou, then they got separated from Raizo there(en route), then again at dressrosa they parted ways with Kanjuro, and then ended up on PH.

I was definitely a pervert by 8. Boobs were awesome then and still are now, though I didn't come to really appreciate butts until I was in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    *raises hand* <.< >.>;

Ha! I was already into this stuff at the age of 5.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Oda was. Me at 6, iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

Eh Meh, I think at some point Western audiences will just have to accept that they'll always be a cultural disconnect when it comes to certain aspects of the story.

I personally believe that a large majority of the audience that have a problem with the pevert jokes are western audiences and I absolutely understand that its largely influenced by their culture and how this kinds of jokes are unacceptable.

At the end of the day though its one stupid gag in a sea of stupid gags and I absolutely believe that the audience in Oda's culture have no problem with this(I am open to being proven wrong on this point.)

Personally I don't care for the gags. However, I understand that they are an intrinsic part of Sanji's character(Read up on why Oda chose to simplify the characterization of characters.). Just like Zoro will always get lost, Nami will always want money, Luffy will always want meat or get incapicated for a long period of time during an arc. Sanji will always want to be a pevert. Its that simple.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    All minks can find Zou by instinct (IIRC).
    Can't say I recall this. Where was this stated?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information