+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Default New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Shueisha just rolled out a new English-language simulpub website/app (called MANGA Plus) that provides the latest chapters of One Piece (and many other Jump titles) for free. Kind of like Viz's recent SJ overhaul? Minus the "vault"? But...
    The selling point this time is that it's GLOBAL. Every country in the world except Japan, S.Korea, and China.

Article about it:
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-01-27/everything-you-need-to-know-about-manga-plus-by-shueisha/.142401

Interview:
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-01-27/shueisha-launches-free-global-manga-plus-service/.142634

Pertinent details:
    -same ENG translations used by Viz (Stephen's, for OP!), when it's a series Viz already does
    -100% simul-release (same day/time as Japan)
    -first and last chapters of a given series are free, and you can also purchase digital volumes
    -Spanish version coming next month

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/#/updates
    Android app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...isha.mangaplus
    iOS app:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1442476536
    Last edited by CCC; January 27th, 2019 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

This came way sooner than I expected, but it's a pleasant surprise!
    Now my Malaysian friends won't feel left out.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)

Bond en Avant practices drawing in SAI

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Now Jaiminis Box has no business existing. Im ULTRA happy yet a little sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Trust me, a lot of people are still gonna use Jaiminis, simply because it releases a scanlation a few days prior than the official release

They don't clean the pages? Looks kinda dirty compared to the VIZ site?

Still great that things are developing faster than expected!

Anyone got a clue what the One Piece re-edition on the manga list page is? It goes to a 404 page when I click on it, but the regular OP release works fine.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

I like that I'm able to use this on my Fire HD 10 tablet since the Jump app doesn't work on it
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Whoo, way to go Shueisha!

Maybe this is why Viz launched last month despite the headache of holiday scheduling messing things up, instead of just starting in January, in order to get some of the kinks out.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

And so it was, that the sole reason to use scans became, "I'm impatient."

At the minute, having only looked at the desktop version of each, I like Viz's version better. It has more full series at the minute, and this new reader does a really awkward thing with some series if you set it to horizontal reading, where the pages don't line up like an open book the way they should, resulting in spreads being split over two pages. It also stops me from setting my browser to fullscreen if I have the reader open, which I guess is to prevent scraping but is still super goddamn frustrating, especially when Viz allows it.

At the minute
    No doubt.

This is a big *big* new thing. Expect it to be funky.

You know what the best possible thing you could do is? Tell them *exactly* all of that via feedback. Super important.

I did not expect Shueisha to move so quickly on a free digital app that is separate from the Viz one. This must mean the free chapters and subscription initiative has been a roaring success for them.

YES... Finally I can use this in my country as well

This app's reader is worse than the viz one, but the series presentation like the list of updated series is better.

I guess this wasn't made by viz but by shueisha itself right?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I dub the wWSJ as worldly weekly shonen jump.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I can't get the app to work. I get a "Load Error" every time I open it.

Still, it's cool that they're doing this. Feels like Shueisha is getting with the times and found a good way to combat piracy. Hopefully, the available languages expand from beyond English and Spanish. And they change the chapters to the first 3 and latest 3 like the Viz app. Higher quality pages would be nice, too. For both Viz and this Shueisha app.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    And so it was, that the sole reason to use scans became, "I'm impatient."
    Well, for Jump series at least. there's still other publishers lol. And non-English speakers.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

That’s really cool!
    But the UI is for me in Spanish and I can not find the possibility to change that.
    The manga itself is in English though. Just weird
    3DS FC: 0903-2798-9958
    PSN: H3kt1
    My YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw...yK6eHc5FiDIEOw

Hmmm, unless they configured it for "English if english, spanish if not" that is weird. I'm at spain and it downladed as the english version, even if my phone itself is in spanish.

You still can read the first and last 3, only is a little hidden, in any chapter of that series, lightly tap to show the menu and progress bar, and at the top right is the chapter list.

There is a "low res" and "high res" in the options. Try that if you will. Can't find language options in app, so it must be from the store, but again, my store is in spanish as well, so it must be my google profile? NOPE, it is also in spanish! So no idea.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

There is the final step to kill early piracy. Only with the end of the physical magazine the early scans will end, and with that, the revenue will not be enough to support those servers.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

wonder what this means for all those country-wide licensing contracts

That ammount of legalese is beyond me, but I'd guess centralization of the manga licensing to ease earnings distribution, or this one is only going to be free, and point to each editorial's page/app for archives.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

After Japan, France is the biggest manga market but it seems that it is not enough to be considered by the Shueisha...
    But i’m glad for the Spanish readers.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information