+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: why do people hate James Cameron's Avaturd?

Default why do people hate James Cameron's Avaturd?

Hm. There wasn't a thread for this. Whatever, I will be quick.

James made a new movie. James has made great movies before. James likes 3D. Yoska is casually curious, albeit sceptical but still hopeful. Yoska hasn't seen a 3D movie before so this might take Yoska's 3D virginity.

Trailer:
    [youtube]aVdO-cx-McA[/youtube]

Looks pretty cool from the trailer. It's supposed to be similar to Dances With Wolves though right? Does that mean it's going to be 4 hours long? There've been some good sci-fi movies out this year (though the only one that comes to mind right now is D9 ) so hopefully this one is good as well.

Smurfs .

Seen a few clips & previews on TV of this. Seems very hyped and looks to be quite good.
    Last edited by Flux; November 21st, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
    Smurfs .
    Quoted for the truth.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
    Smurfs .
    I was thinking "Andalites" myself.

But yesh, weird looking aliens who are also humaoid.

I suspect cross-breeding potential. :/
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

I can't help but feel I have seen a plot line like this somewhere before. Douchebag humans discovering a new world only to find it inhabited by some other native humanoids. As the humans try to fight the natives to take the land, one man on the side of the humans falls in love with one of the natives...
    Wait a minute!

Yup. Pocahontas. James Cameron literally just took the exact same plotline and added science fiction elements and aliens instead of native americans. Congratulations James Cameron on ripping off other peoples ideas and selling them as your own.

Originality (or lack there of) aside, this movie doesn't look awful. The story of Pocahontas isn't a bad one by any means-but to me it seems they are focusing more on the CGI and special effects than actual story or character development. Hopefully, the man who wrote the Terminator series will prove me wrong.

There's only like, 6 stories in all of human telling when you boil them down to basics anyway. Its about the details and execution. Clashing of culture romance was done at least as far back as Greek myth, in any story involving an amazon tribe.

The fact that the only movies anyone pull up are Dances with Wolves or Pocahontas, from 14 and 20 years ago respectivley, says to me, its NOT a theme thats been overplayed recently.

I know everyone keeps making the comparison mockingly, but Dances with Wolves was an excellent movie, award winner, and it came out in 1990. The comparison is a hopeful one, rather than a negative, in my book. Most people that disparage DwW offhand just don't have the patience for a 3 hour movie or have never actually watched it in full. The ending with Socks gets me every time. And heck, its probably an older movie than some of the people in this forum.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yeah, it's more like Pocahontas than Dance with Wolves. Although I doubt those movies were first to tell this archetype story. Terminator was basicly just a slasher movie rip-off with sci-fi twist, too.

Edit: And, yeah, Dances with Wolves was a damn excellent film. So let's hope Avatar can be even half as good. Well, at least it is going to be an almost 3 hour movie. That's a start .
    Last edited by Yoska; November 22nd, 2009 at 04:48 AM.

Lawrence of Arabia is also a flik that had a "man goes to another culture and adopts their ways" sort of thing that turned into a total war picture, and its typically considered one of the best movies of all time.

Of course, no one is pulling up THAT reference, because that movie is, you know... 40 years old.

Or hey, Princess Mononoke has a guy leaving his home and meeting up with a bunch of natives and hanging out with beasts, and falling in love ith a wild girl, in a jungle even, and its not even remotely the same movie as Dances with Wolves.

Avatar isn't out yet, no one but the people that worked on it knows exactly what its going to be, just what a couple minutes of previews give away.

The 3 hour run time make me hopeful, rather than scared. And Cameron's track record of Terminator, T2, True Lies, Abyss, Alien, Aliens, Titanic, etc. means he gets the credibility and benefit of the doubt.

Seriously, if you're going to insult a movie that no one has yet seen, based on 30 seconds of promotional material because you absolutley MUST scorn it, don't compare it to the 1990 academy award winner for best picture, and don't just rehash the easy South Park joke. Pick something stupid and insipid that has the same theme.

Like Ferngully.
    Last edited by Robby; November 22nd, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Saw half of Lawrence of Arabia and thought it was pretty good up to the part I got to. Never seen Dances With Wolves but that's what this movie is mostly compared with. I hope it's good, it looks really good.

Looks preachy as hell
    buttcheeks

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

The trailer looked terrible. If this wasn't a James Cameron film, there's no chance I'd watch it.

Will wait for reviews.

The film looks great. The plot sounds boring. Pass.
    So many people in the world. And so many bullets. Lots and lots of bullets.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar

the visuals are amazing

everything else is shit.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Looks great visually but I doubt the plot can keep up.

I'll probably end up watching it just to see the cross species mating...
    Last edited by SMUDGE; November 22nd, 2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: that is a lie

Quote Originally Posted by Bad-Beat View Post
    the visuals are amazing
    Half a billion dollars will do that.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar

yes, yes it will.

But then it will probably make a billion in returns. so...

Reminds me of what Nostalgia Critic said about Batman and Robin. "Aren't you glad that so much money was spent on special effects for this piece of shit?" Then again, I highly doubt this will be Batman and Robin quality bad. That's pretty low.

Off-Topic: "What killed the dinosaur's? The Ice Age!" That had nothing to do with the conversation, Mr. Freeze! That makes as much sense as "I was frozen today!"

Anyway...

Everyone I know is getting this movie mixed up with the anime and movie based off of the anime, Avatar the Last Airbender.

I mean, they are obviously very different. But for those who have never seen a single second of ATLA, I suppose I can understand.

And of course, since I'm the anime/video game freak of the family, everyone comes to me asking "Do you want to see it/Does that seem like a good adaptation to the real show?".

1) I've never watched the show.
    2) A live action anime movie has to be PRETTY GOOD LOOKING for me to consider watching it in theaters. I'm still shocked I watched Dragonball on DVD (which it wasn't that horrible).

Quote Originally Posted by Bad-Beat View Post
    But then it will probably make a billion in returns. so...
    Possible, but it's hard to believe.

Films that have passed the billion dollar mark in a single release:

Titanic - Was the beneficiary of massive repeat business and also a year devoid of any real competition at the box office; it also helped that it was in theaters in the US for ten months.

Return of the King - Third in a series based on books that had been popular for half a century and that were generally very well received by fans of said books.

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Sequel to one of the biggest surprise hits in film history.

The Dark Knight - Massively hyped sequel; had massive media coverage from tragic death of star during production.

Reputedly, it can turn a profit if it passes the 250 million mark because of how it was paid for, but I don't know it'll make it to even that level.
    Complicating things since 2009.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information