+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Volume 92 Predictions/Discussion

Default Re: Volume 92 Predictions/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Dunno somehow strange... Don't see the point in the dark coloring in the chapter if both are clearly bright colors
    Probably because Oda thinks about the character aesthetics in b&w and in colors separately. A page back you can see the process of colorization of this cover and at first he was going with purple and black for their hair, so it seems like until now he didn't thought of those characters "in colors".

I suppose that must go for many mangakas as well. I remember people complaining about Karin having red hair in Naruto when other red-haired characters were drawn with white hair and she with black. They probably just have an idea of how they want that character to look in b&w and then in colors, instead of following a fixed conversion table.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Oda's been choosing the blacks and whites for the comic with no regard for his official colour schemes for clothing for years. It shouldn't be suprising it extends to hair as well now. The inked in/not inked in areas will always have character design and readable silhouettes prioritised over accurately depicting colour.
    Yeah I know but I see no point with this 2 characters. Especially with Komurasaki who looks a lot like Robin now in the manga because of this.

Uhm yeah, Kaido's color scheme is really lacking. But maybe it won't be as bad when we see his real-deal hybrid form.

Also curious that Kaido isn't red/rose-colored like Momonosuke.

Maybe that's why Vegapunk considered the artificial fruit a failure. No swirls + wrong color. Unacceptable!

Good thing that the manga is B&W, I'll just imagine Kaido black for now. I also had this moment of disbelief with the Germas but I got used to them through the anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Also curious that Kaido isn't red/rose-colored like Momonosuke.
    Those seem to be most popular picks among readers (red because more menacing, pink because Momonosuke), but now that I think about it each Emperor has a color theme and those already belong to Shanks and Linlin.
    A golden dragon would be cool, though, but maybe too tacky... Light blue may give of a more regal old dragon feeling (I am still holding to the belief Kaido is an actual dragon rather than a dragon fruit user).

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    No swirls + wrong color. Unacceptable!
    literally uneatable

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

And green would´ve looked too ´Dragon-Ballish´

I was expecting any color but blue tbh.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

I believe it's blue due to the Azure Dragon of the chinese legends, but I'm not a fan of this kind of blue either.

I was picturing green scales similar to Shenron.
    Now, the blue is more reminiscent to the mythical dragons on Japanese woodprint paintings and it contrasts with Luffy's red motif.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    And green would´ve looked too ´Dragon-Ballish´

I was expecting any color but blue tbh.
    U guys are all weird. I was expecting either Black, Blue or Purple. I knew he wouldn't be Shenron Green, but I did think he'd be darker than he is, the light blue is a nice surprise
    =D

What I'm now imagining

AP Forums:

"He can't pick color X, Y, and Z because these other character already have em"
    "This color is clearly a reference to some cultural folklore related to the story's themes"
    "It's gotta be this color because of what it represents in these three societies"
    "According to color algebra, and plugging in the double rainbow constant, the most likely color is definitely this one."

Oda:

"Time to color Kaido. Hmmmm iunno I think I'm feeling blue today. Yeah I like blue lol."
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

I really like the fact Komurasakihas turquoise hair. She and many others already look too much like the Robin archetype. at least some distinguishable characteristics

I know it's made on purpose but those horizontal separations that separate halfly perturbate me. Has he used such a trick already ?

Oh geez oh gosh those faces are even better in color. This cover sorta encapsulates a lot of what makes this series so great. We’ve got fantastical elements from Kaido, the sort of fighting elements from Kidd and Luffy (more arguing than fighting but still) and of course that bottom third representing the ridiculous moments that are sprinkled throughout.

Odas blue period comes after his rose period. Interesting.

And Kaido isn't on the possible Nakama list anymore. Same colour theme with Franky and all :D
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Dunno somehow strange... Don't see the point in the dark coloring in the chapter if both are clearly bright colors
    Black and white visuals are different than color visuals. He has to have some concern about how the character is going to look 99.9% of the time in the manga, versus how they look on a single color splash. Otherwise the entire series would be a coloring book because almost nothing would be solid black.

Just look at Kuma. Oda originally had him in a bright orange suit, but still inked him in solid black (which is what the anime ran with) because it looked better that way in the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    I know it's made on purpose but those horizontal separations that separate halfly perturbate me. Has he used such a trick already ?
    Yeah, he's done that on a few covers. Nami at Arlong Park, the introduction of Ace, farewell to Vivi, the war with the admirals on it, the end of fishman island where Luffy and Jinbe are seperated from the rest, several during Dresserossa like the Doflamingo pirates, and the one with Big Mom pirates all come to mind.
    Last edited by Robby; February 19th, 2019 at 09:48 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

That is Blue Raspberry Icee blue.

I'd imagine Kaidou in red and gold because of the tatoo.... but that IS Shank's color and Luffy's theme, so it makes sense that he's not. he was obviously NEVER going to be green cause Dragonball, and pink is Big Mom's theme and already Momo's color. Yellow is cowardly (possibly Orochi's color?) gold too noble, black would look like a mess, orange would be kind of garish, purple too feminine....

Blue works, and while it's a little off on this super busy cover, it'll look good in the sky at night sky and against the moon, which is when the BIG battle is supposed to be.

Last edited by Robby; February 19th, 2019 at 10:06 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Thing is, it looks super-non threatening with it, doesn't really go too well with Kaido's natural aggresiveness and super angered facial expressions.

Feels like realizing the guy who kicks ass in prison is a big fan of Peppa Pig.

Well, he's going to have a hybrid form at some point. So.... mayb the red tatoos and blue scales will do something interesting then. As is, the red tatoo still shows up on the blue dragon,so that's something.

But given that he's got a giant dragon form, I can't imagine that not being what Oda has Luffy fight.

Fully Body CoA Kaidou will look great.

BTW I see nothing wrong in the color

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information