+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat 11

Default Re: Mortal Kombat 11

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post

Also it seems we've got the Shang Tsung from Ermac's MKX ending.
    Apparently Ermac got bottled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Nightwolf character trailer:

https://youtu.be/f10CF7COBVk

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

They just revealed Terminator and Joker from Batman for DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    They just revealed Terminator and Joker from Batman for DLC.
    Nightwolf is also now available for purchase/download.

https://youtu.be/f10CF7COBVk

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

That's only news if it's for the Xbox One
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    That's only news if it's for the Xbox One
    Is there some reason it wouldn't be for Xbox One?

Waldorf:

Is there some reason it wouldn't be for Xbox One?
    Some people were complaining about not being able to download Nightwolf on the system the day he released for some reason.

Either I'm late to the party or this is new, but we have Stage Brutalities again. While trying out the Terminator I did one on the Blood Sea when my last attack was throwing that starfish on the rock at the other guy.

See it here: https://youtu.be/HAvuJdbrJDM

EDIT: Looking into it some, seems there were some Brutalities already (I was under your impression they weren't there initially), but this particular one is new.
    Last edited by sgamer82; October 8th, 2019 at 07:07 PM.

Waldorf:

NO THIS IS PATRICK!

Also the Terminator's intro dialogues. I haven't watched yet but I'm curious to see what his interactions with Johnny Cage are like, since his intros and outros feature him riding what is apparently Johnny's motorcycle

https://youtu.be/epMSKYPtX6c

Waldorf:

I watched those they're kinda of stiff (I mean the Terminator is a machine after all) but there's some nice references and funny dialog here and there.

Mortal Kombat 11 receives free trial period this weekend including most of the base game and a taste of the DLC characters including Terminator

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/...ng-terminator/

Waldorf:

Sindel came out this week, and on my birthday no less, which is nice because Sindel was always a favorite of mine to play. I played with her to learn how she plays (streamed it, too) and had fun with it.

Really the only complaint I've really seen is how Sindel's backstory...

Spoiler:
    ...retcons her into having always been evil, rather than just forcibly brainwashed. I don't mind, personally. It's even kind of fun figuring out how to fit it with the story as we know it. My running theory is that Sindel is, above all else, an opportunist.

Waldorf:

Spoiler:
    ...retcons her into having always been evil, rather than just forcibly brainwashed. I don't mind, personally. It's even kind of fun figuring out how to fit it with the story as we know it. My running theory is that Sindel is, above all else, an opportunist.
    That's not a theory that literally is her gimmick (can't explain the ambiguous BDSM fetish) the question is to what end exactly. Something that comically enough people insist makes her less complex than she's ever been in the games in a series that originally was never known for complex or deep writing either for the lore or the characters.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; November 28th, 2019 at 05:15 PM.

Yeah no. In Mortal Kombat Deception, Sindel was a major character, not brain washed and morally good. Kitana had been enslaved by Onaga to serve in his army of the dead. With the help of Jade, Sindel led the Edenian army against Onaga (and Tanya, who betrayed Sindel and Jade to help Onaga). Canonically, Sindel helps Shujinko in gaining the strength needed to defeat Onaga. And in Sindel's own ending, Sindel manages to defeat Onaga with Jade's help, saving Kitana.

Hidden:

Compare this to now, where Sindel's MK11 has her murdering Jade and chaining up Kitana as a slave. If anyone was renown for being a backstabbing bitch and being an opportunist, it was Tanya.
    Last edited by Insider2000; November 28th, 2019 at 06:10 PM.

That's not a theory that literally is her gimmick (can't explain the ambiguous BDSM fetish) the question is to what end exactly. Something that comically enough people insist makes her less complex than she's ever been in the games in a series that originally was never known for complex or deep writing either for the lore or the characters.
    Not really. Her lore had always been she was forced into serving Shao Khan until she committed suicide, then was brainwashed when she was resurrected for MK3. After that she was always we m explicitly one of the Good Guys.

Her ending opens with...

Spoiler:
    ...her saying all that was a lie she maintained so people would continue to revere her.

That suggests her thing is wanting to rule but not with fear. She wants to be worshipped. To me, this can be kept when with her as a good guy. She joins the winning side and becomes part of Team Earthrealm.

Waldorf:

Not really. Her lore had always been she was forced into serving Shao Khan until she committed suicide, then was brainwashed when she was resurrected for MK3. After that she was always we m explicitly one of the Good Guys.
    Like I said not terribly deep or complex and looked at in certain context a tad bit problematic.

That suggests her thing is wanting to rule but not with fear. She wants to be worshipped. To me, this can be kept when with her as a good guy. She joins the winning side and becomes part of Team Earthrealm.
    I mean sure if she gives up on goal of subjugating those around her along with the rest of the realms.

Otherwise she essentially essentially becomes a less murderous version of Shao Khan.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; November 28th, 2019 at 06:22 PM.

What makes even less sense is, MK3's plot explains that:
    -Shao Kahn wanted to conquer Earthrealm after Edenia was taken.
    -Sindel, wanting to protect Earthrealm, created a barrier that Shao Kahn couldn't invade through, and then killed herself so the barrier couldn't be broken
    -Shao Kahn has to win (whatever amount of) Mortal Kombat tournaments to merge the realms

But now they want to act like:
    -Sindel was totally cool with everything Shao Kahn wanted to do
    -Quan Chi killed her, made the barrier around Earthrealm, and framed Sindel because... He wanted Shao Kahn to lose the tournament to force an invasion with Sindel corpse so that a bunch of people would die and then Shinnok creates a revenant army...

That is some Zodd is Magneto is Zodd level stupidity. Especially when the original plot was simple and understandable.

Sure if you could ferret some of it out by reading books or other stuff since fighting games back in the day weren't too fond of explaining things up front or treating it with less attention than it deserved

Which is why Kabal is randomly hanging out with Kira and Kobra after being missing for two games.

Or how Cage gets killed off screen between 2 & 3.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; November 28th, 2019 at 06:36 PM.

I forget the specifics but in MK9 Shao Khan invading Earthrealm was part of Quan Chi's and Shinnok's plans, so it's within reason Quan Chi made the barrier specifically to be broken when he needed it to be.

I feel it may also be worth mentioning that at the time of mk3, which is what's being referred to above, Quan Chi did not exist yet. He wasn't introduced until Sub-Zero Mythologies, education I recall came between 3 and 4. So him being part of things at all was a retcon.

Even the brainwashing of Sindel can be reconciled with current lore. Either Quan Chi did it to keep Sindel compliant, or Shao Khan did it because he (reasonably) wouldn't put backstabbing him past her.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Sure if you could ferret some of it out by reading books or other stuff since fighting games back in the day weren't too fond of explaining things up front or treating it with less attention than it deserved

Which is why Kabal is randomly hanging out with Kira and Kobra after being missing for two games.

Or how Cage gets killed off screen between 2 & 3.
    The story of most fighting games is mainly an Excuse Plot. Something that explains why they're fighting but has no bearing on the game besides that. My understanding is that was the whole point of mk9's turning back the clock: to restart things from a fresh starting point and tell a more coherent story.

Whether or not they succeeded is up for debate, but I always took that as the intent.

Waldorf:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information