+ Reply to Thread
Page 598 of 599 FirstFirst ... 98 498 548 588 596 597 598 599 LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,960 of 11966

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

It's kind of amazing how all these movies are now coming out years later. Consider how so many of the actors chosen for these roles are not exactly young it's amazing to me that the planning wasn't tighter for schedule. Even before COVID-19 there was a bit of an odd gap between Phase 3 and Phase 4 that I'd have expected to be filled.
    Julie|She/Her|Bi|

Do you guys think that the new release dates will hold? Or will they have to delay the movies yet again? I mean I assume the studios did some research and didn't just put out random new release dates right? What are your thoughts?

For the business in general, no one wants to say anything final, but some are budging. They are a business and if they feel they can convince people to risk their lives for entertainment, they will do it. They might hit you with "so many people need to be paid" or "we invested so much", but anyone in common sense knows that they are asking you to fill their pockets, while putting your health at risk.

They all need to movie their dates. They have the time, so they don't have to decide now. Every film comes with a campaign full of merch, toys, commercials, fake sob stories, and tacky tales of philanthropy. They might even milk someone's death if they are connected to the film. They have a whole strategy to get people in seats and this is the perfect time to rework it.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYBM View Post
    Even before COVID-19 there was a bit of an odd gap between Phase 3 and Phase 4 that I'd have expected to be filled.
    Things started sliding all the way back with Civil War in 2016. The inclusion of SPiderman proper into the Marvel U meant they had to start clearing time for him properly, so his film pushed back Black Panther which in turn pushed back Ant Man and Captain Marvel.

Black Panther and Captain Marvel were untested properties, so they didn't get greenlit until after their films came out. Thor 4 wasn't greenlit till after 3 caem out and Helmsworth said he was still up for doing more, plus now being tied to Guardians....

Guardians 3 was supposed to be out either already or soon, and would have followed Avengers 4 to then lead to Thor 4... but fake outrage about James Gunn and his new committments to Suicide Squad pushed that back. They already had a script and had started production before that got shut down.

Black Widow was supposed to be out two months ago and is now pushed to who knows when, and that pushes everything else back.

Plus Marvel has that massive TV slate that is actully most of phase 4. That Bucky and Falcon show, the Loki show, the Scartlett Witch show that has to come before Doctor Strange...

And now they own Fox so they have to figure out what to do with the X-Men and Fantastic Four...

Its just a series of dominos that Corona only made worse.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

imagine this mess was last year and endgame was the delayed one.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The flood of fanboy tears would have buried this country.

I would have laughed so hard if Endgame had been delayed. Poor RDJ and Evans would've had to stay "in the game" for even longer.
    Julie|She/Her|Bi|

Think James Cameron would've been pleased.

So if any rumors about Daredevil showing up in Spiderman 3 (as Spidey's lawyer) are true, it won't be Charlie Cox:
    https://movieweb.com/spider-man-3-da...0PPPnTEdhJx1b8

Noooooo.

Why the trouble of recasting a hero actor from tv when he is bound to appear in a movie? Especially when said series is well cherished by critics and fans alike. Is because they are smaller names and won't bring enough cash for the studios?
    Well the last part is stupid, this is Hollywood of course cash speaks larger than common sense.

But the fans already love Charlie Cox, wouldn't casting him be just an even bigger theater draw?

There are issues between the Marvel movie slate and the marvel TV slate, they're basically different companies answering to different bosses and they don't like each other and contracts might actually be contradictory. So that's part of it.

Aside from that, the Netflix TV slate got a little more R rated in spots than the PG-13 they'd prefer. So they want to be able to pretend that branch of the tv stuff didn't happen where applicable.

Fantastic Daredevil and Kingpin, but they might be a bit much for the Marvel U as is. If they include THOSE versions then suddenly Kingpin bashing a guy's head in with a car door is officially integrated.

And while Jessica Jones was well recieved, basically none of the rest of the slate was, especially Iron Fist which was outright disliked, and carried its baggage to Defenders.. No one talked about Luke Cage outisde of "it's one of the Netflix shows", and while Punisher was fine, it came late and no one cared about that either... and also way more violent that the PG-13 films.

They'll want to be able to recast or reboot most of those properties in some way eventually... so holding those licenses ransom to a too-dark version is iffy.

Or of course they can always go the Hulk/War Machine route. Recast, and just sort of vaguely indicate what happened did happen but don't go into any details on it. The basic backstory remains intact for anyone that wants to look, but they aren't 100% beholden to it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Is because they are smaller names and won't bring enough cash for the studios?
    Nah. If anything smaller names are cheaper and don't ask for huge salaries out the gate. Plus that doesn't stop them from doing things no one has heard of like Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man. Consider that the entire first wave of movies they were *all* unknowns. No one had heard of Helmsworth or Hiddleston, and Chris Evans was small time. Johansaan was probably the best known but mostly for indie films, she certainly wasnt the super-star action film carrier she is now. Or go back to the X-Men movies, where Hugh Jackman's career was made by Wolverine.

Even headliner Robert Downey Jr. who carried the franchise on his back and managed to get by far the sweetest paycheck deals due to being there first, was a D-list past his prime actor with a history of drug addiction and jail time, made famous and popular again by Iron Man.

I know ten years later that's hard to remember, but RDJ was like fifth billed in The Shaggy Dog. His career was DEAD before Iron Man. He was the perfect choice for the role BECAUSE of his real baggage making him the character, but still he was a risk... and cheap. (At the time.)
    Last edited by Robby; April 30th, 2020 at 04:12 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

First half of Luke Cage was great, until Cottonmouth got got.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    And while Jessica Jones was well recieved, basically none of the rest of the slate was, especially Iron Fist which was outright disliked, and carried its baggage to Defenders.. No one talked about Luke Cage outisde of "it's one of the Netflix shows", and while Punisher was fine, it came late and no one cared about that either... and also way more violent that the PG-13 films.
    I thought people liked Luke Cage. I certainly remember hearing lots of praise about it. Iron Fist . . . . ruined all the potential it had.

I know ten years later that's hard to remember, but RDJ was like fifth billed in The Shaggy Dog. His career was DEAD before Iron Man. He was the perfect choice for the role BECAUSE of his real baggage making him the character, but still he was a risk... and cheap. (At the time.)
    What better way to method act for a character than to be an actual alcoholic and drug addict? Seriously, it's like he spent his life preparing for Iron Man.

Yeah Luke Cage was very well regarded. The Netflix series basically went 3 for 4 on the starting series.

The real issue with the Netflix shows is that the Marvel movie and TV division actually split back in 2014/2015 right as Daredevil and Jessica Jones took off. It's why Agents of SHIELD went it's own direction away from the movie continuity. Marvel Studios had it's own jurisdiction over its film content but Marvel TV still had to answer to Marvel Entertainment, who infamously opposed Black Panther and Captain Marvel films for not being bankable. Probably what happened is the hoops they had to go through werent worth the cost and headache to deal with Marvel Entertainment, and the shows were likely abandoned when Marvel Studios started it's own TV wing. I'm wondering if rights and contract issues might be making things the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I thought people liked Luke Cage.
    People liked it, and it didn't make anyone angry... but they didn't *love* it either. It was a "I guess I'll watch the third marvel show" sort of thing, but no one was excited about it or talked about it like Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

That may just have been a side effect of it being in the timetable where it was and Iron FIst immediately following, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    First half of Luke Cage was great, until Cottonmouth got got.
    And became a vampire...
    FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    People liked it, and it didn't make anyone angry... but they didn't *love* it either. It was a "I guess I'll watch the third marvel show" sort of thing, but no one was excited about it or talked about it like Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

That may just have been a side effect of it being in the timetable where it was and Iron FIst immediately following, I dunno.
    Black people loved it. I cosplayed as Luke (pretty lazily, might I add) at a convention and got lots of love.

I loved Luke Cage and was anticipating S3 Crime Boss Luke. Bushmaster and the Stokes conflict was well written. Iron Fist was just a let down. In the end, Jessica Jones season S2 was the best season of any of the shows.

5 Iron Fist S1>>S2
    4 Luke Cage S2>>S1
    3 Punisher S2>S1
    2 JJ S2>>S3>>S1
    1 Daredevil S3>>S2>S1

I just remember sitting through all of Daredevil Season 1 thinking: "Put on the red suit already!"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information