+ Reply to Thread
Page 578 of 593 FirstFirst ... 78 478 528 568 576 577 578 579 580 588 ... LastLast
Results 11,541 to 11,560 of 11848

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Apparently Disney was asking for a ridiculous cut of the profit to continue universe sharing, like a full 50%. I don't blame Sony for refusing that deal.

Thei current Spider universe is already set, with Tom Holland apparently willing to play the part for basically forever, so the next one at least will be fine, (in terms of box office if not quality). Venom somehow did well despite being garbage, and Spiderverse is one of the best comic movies ever madeand won an Oscar. Oh, and Sony just bought Insomniac games who made that awesome Spiderman game.

The Sony handling Spiderman right now isn't teh same Sony that was trying to rush the SInister Six and made Amazing Spiderman 2.

Outside of all the Iron Man stuff, there's not a whole lot Spidey needs to interact with, especially since all the other avengers were older than him, and Tony was the only one he really got time with.

It's also possible they can still make deals to have Spidey show up in Avengers, just not have their hands in the solo movie production.

Of course, maybe they'll change their minds when Morbius, Kraven, and Silver Sable all flop.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Apparently Disney was asking for a ridiculous cut of the profit to continue universe sharing, like a full 50%. I don't blame Sony for refusing that deal.
    Why the hell am I not surprised.

Of course, maybe they'll change their minds when Morbius, Kraven, and Silver Sable all flop.
    That's if either don't wind up pulling a Venom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    That's if either don't wind up pulling a Venom.
    Venom succeeded because its VENOM, the inexplicably most popular SPidey villain.

No one gives a crap about those other characters, certainly not as solo projects. Kraven people could get behind in a Spidey movie, and even then thats just hardcore comics fans, not on his own.

They'll have to pull out actual Marvel quality to make the no names work. An awful movie won't skate by on the popularity of its lead with any of the others, the movie will actually have to be good.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

We can get actual Spiderman movies now instead of Iron Man Jr.? And actual Venom cross-over? And Disney doesn't get their grubby hands on every single dime in hollywood?

Hallelujah.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

I knew that getting two actually good Spider-man movies was too good to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I knew that getting two actually good Spider-man movies was too good to last.
    Status Quo comes at you fast.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Like Disney, who wanted 50% of the profits.

If they'd negotiated for 10%, or maybe given Sony some of the merchandising cash, they might have reached a deal. But they were basically offering... dead Avengers in trade for 600 million dollars per movie.

Thei current Spider universe is already set, with Tom Holland apparently willing to play the part for basically forever, so the next one at least will be fine, (in terms of box office if not quality). Venom somehow did well despite being garbage, and Spiderverse is one of the best comic movies ever madeand won an Oscar. Oh, and Sony just bought Insomniac games who made that awesome Spiderman game.

The Sony handling Spiderman right now isn't teh same Sony that was trying to rush the SInister Six and made Amazing Spiderman 2.

Outside of all the Iron Man stuff, there's not a whole lot Spidey needs to interact with, especially since all the other avengers were older than him, and Tony was the only one he really got time with.

It's also possible they can still make deals to have Spidey show up in Avengers, just not have their hands in the solo movie production.

I 100 percent agree with all of this, from it clearly being Disney's fault (at least from our vantage point of reading a few articles), to all of the other Spidey Universe films flopping. Except into the Spiderverse 2, of course. Still hard to see a Spidey film really flopping. Even amazing Spidey 2, which was atrocious, made money.
    Last edited by andre; August 20th, 2019 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Even amazing Spidey 2, which was atrocious, made money.
    It cost upwards of 300 million to make and "only" made 700 million. Generally advertising budget is close to half of the production budget.

Studio doesn't get all that money, and even less from foreign box office.

It at best broke even, but it probably lost money.

Venom cost 100 million and made 850 million. Actually profitable.

(And Deadpool 1 cost 55 million and made 800 million, even rated R... Deadpool 2 cost 110 million and also made 800 million.)

It might not be over yet

Looks like negotiations are still ongoing. This makes a little more sense since the original story said Disney's "50/50" split was supposed to be them splitting the COST as well as the profits, and that it was just supposed to be the first offer but that Sony walked away immediately without trying to negotiate or make any counteroffers.

The idea that the negotiations are still ongoing means they DIDN'T just pass and maybe they WILL throw in some counter offers and the like.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

So . . . . does this mean Disney can't make any single Spiderman movies, or can they as long as it's part of the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    So . . . . does this mean Disney can't make any single Spiderman movies, or can they as long as it's part of the MCU?
    Disney has yet to actually make a Single Spider-Man movie.

Sony was paying to produce them and getting 95% of the profits.
    Marvel was putting in some of the creative legwork and only getting 5% of the profits but they also got 100% of the merchandising rights and the ability to use Spidey in team-up movies.

If the deal falls through, which again it MIGHT NOT HAVE yet, then That's it for MCU Spidey. Sony could technically keep making Tom Holland Spidey movies but they'd have to be very careful about what elements they use from the prior two movies.

Like, No Happy, No Fury, No mentioning The Avengers or Tony, none of that.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Ouch.

We can't stop having Tom Holland as Spidey, he's like the best yet.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Welp.
    Now´s up to Brie Larson and Benedict ClimberCa$h to fight over the leading figure of the MCU.

I mean to be fair they both are leader characters in the comics.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

The new leader of the MCU will be Professor Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    since the original story said Disney's "50/50" split was supposed to be them splitting the COST as well as the profits,.
    Yes, and that's still a shitty deal for Sony. Disney throws in 100 mill on the budget, takes 500-600 mill of the profits?

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Benedict ClimberCa$h
    I know people make fun of his ridiculous name but seriously?

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I know people make fun of his ridiculous name but seriously?
    Eeh? Is that a Benedict CumberChallenge??
    Show me what u got!

No. I'm not going to make fun of the man's name.

I question what the hell you think you're saying about him.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information