View Poll Results: Who do you think will join?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tama

    9 4.21%
  • Carrot

    70 32.71%
  • Caribou

    10 4.67%
  • Momo

    3 1.40%
  • Kinemon

    3 1.40%
  • Hiyori

    3 1.40%
  • Bonney

    7 3.27%
  • Pekoms

    4 1.87%
  • Vivi

    19 8.88%
  • Kawamatsu

    14 6.54%
  • None of the above

    72 33.64%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 166 of 185 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 164 165 166 167 168 176 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 3699

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

  1. #3301

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Carrot's case is just too strong. Oda did too much in WCI arc.
    He installed her as someone being important in the future One Piece arcs and having a connection with the Strawhats that goes deeper than many characters in the series have. He showed through her the importance of the New Dawn for the Minks and foreshadowed Sulong. So, I don't see why not stop at this and why it so important to take it for granted that she will join. She may. She may not. She will definitely play some role in this arc and likely the further ones untill... well the New Dawn.
    Last edited by Candide; September 9th, 2019 at 10:45 AM.

  2. #3302
    Stowaway w/ 18k posts Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    This will be so damn glorious... Can't wait for it.

    BTW
    Tama for nakama is stupid

  3. #3303

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Babanuki for Nakama! He could be nice addition for Thousand Sunny shower complex LOL

  4. #3304

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Nami was set up to be central ploint of the plot after Baratie, her absence/bertrayal was the big deal, there was even a scene of Luffy telling Zoro and Usopp to chase after her because he only wants her as navigator and nobody else.
    Carrot just does nothing and fade into irrelevancy.

  5. #3305
    Sanji is the best! caesar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Europe

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    Nami was set up to be central ploint of the plot after Baratie, her absence/bertrayal was the big deal, there was even a scene of Luffy telling Zoro and Usopp to chase after her because he only wants her as navigator and nobody else.
    Carrot just does nothing and fade into irrelevancy.
    There was the time she went into sulong mode and attacked the ships pursuing them, so she does do something.

  6. #3306
    Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mexico

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    There was the time she went into sulong mode and attacked the ships pursuing them, so she does do something.
    Ehm, we mean.. Since Wano arc started*

  7. #3307

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    I think it's kinda crazy to be certain one way or the other about Car. At this point, both outcomes remain possibilities.


    The Nami comparisons don't make sense for either argument (pro or against). Nami was already a Straw Hat (Oda assigns her number 3, not number 5) and left Baratie, ditching the crew, to go back to Cocoyashi Village. Of course there was foreshadowing because Oda was setting up the next arc and the reveal of Nami's backstory. Carrot's current absence needs no explanation / focus because she's not gone from the arc. She's just not in the spotlight right now, which is not at all uncommon. Luffy didn't think about Brook at all at any point in the middle of Thriller Bark (and there was nothing special about him inviting Brook at that time, from Luffy's perspective; Luffy invited a tree to join him a few chapters later; Of course, it was obvious Brook would join from the moment he was introduced and very few people doubted that would be the case). It may be more chapters sans Carrot, but this is a bigger arc with more characters.

    My post was simply stating that the 'absence' in Act 2 means nothing - for or against. Characters fade into the background and pop back into the forefront in major arcs frequently in this series - Straw Hats included. I think she fits well and feels like a potential candidate, but we'll see what happens in the rest of the arc once the Minks get involved. It's definitely not a sure thing, but there aren't hard and fast rules about what is required for someone to join. Robin stowed away on the ship, Mozu and Kiwi implored Luffy to invite (force by way of speedo theft) Franky, Nami formed a tentative alliance and bailed before her arc, Zoro invited Usopp, Sanji joined while most of the crew was off on another island, Vivi chose not to sail away at the end of Alabasta but made a promise with the crew for the future, Jimbei was introduced hundreds of chapters before joining and has been delayed multiple times by extraneous factors. My point is, there isn't a 'standard model.' It's not about checking off all the right boxes to be considered for membership.


    Personally, I'm in favor of Carrot joining. I think it's a distinct possibility, but I wouldn't at all say it's a sure thing. I don't jump at every new ally as a possible member. The last character I felt this way about was Jimbei at the end of Impel Down / Early Marineford. There haven't been many characters to form this close of a bond with the straw Hats. Kinemon has had similar chemistry with the crew, but has always felt more like an ally because of his mission and his seeming ongoing commitment to Wano. In Punk Hazard / Dressrosa, it was believed that Momonosuke was his son and it was difficult to imagine someone leaving their child to sail with Luffy (and difficult to imagine Momo sailing with the crew). Now that we know he's a vassal of the Kozuki clan, the nature of his commitment has changed, but seems as strong as before. Traffy has basically become a main character in the series without joining the crew. I don't think anyone has considered Law as a potential Straw Hat, but he has developed a unique relationship with the Straw Hats among allies. Camie, Pappag, and Hatchan had chemistry with the crew and stuck around for multiple arcs. They never really seemed like potential Straw Hats given that they would constantly be in danger in the New World, which isn't a good fit for people averse to or incapable of combat. Not to mention, they were overshadowed by Jimbei. Going all the way back, I guess there were Johnny and Yosaku. I wasn't a reader during the East Blue arcs, but they were never shown to be on par with the other crew members, despite sailing with them to Baratie and Arlong Park. That said, they probably could've continued sailing with the Straw Hats if they were interested and not out of their depth. On the other hand, there's Paulie, who was given a good number of interactions with the Straw Hats before fading into the background with the rest of Galley La during Enies Lobby while Franky moved further and further into the spotlight. I guess you could compare Carrot's current situation to Paulie in Enies Lobby, but she featured way more prominently in WCI than Paulie had in the early half of Water Seven. It was also a different situation. At the time, we knew the Straw Hats were actively seeking to recruit a shipwright, who ultimately turned out to be Franky. Paulie was put out there as a possible candidate, sure, and there was a lot of speculation about him joining - because we knew that it would be someone from Water Seven. However, it was obviously going to be Franky as soon as the Tom flashback happened.

    On the subject of Tama - maybe evidence of a second time skip at some point? Luff could make her a similar promise to Ace, which, perhaps we could see fulfilled if there is another jump forward in time, allowing for her to become a strong warrior? Just a random thought. I have no strong sense yet that she's being set up as a possible Straw Hat.
    Last edited by Vongola_Boss_XI; September 9th, 2019 at 05:42 AM.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

    "ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

  8. #3308
    Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mexico

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well, maybe with Big Mom joining Kaidou she'll finally get a chance to actually get revenge against Prospero.
    Ughh too much.
    Maybe she could support Inu or Neko into defeating Peropero. Facing him off by herself would only result in Carrot getting Rebecca'ed.

  9. #3309
    Division Commander Daz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Limbo

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Amount of chapters between debut and joining showing off their role

    Carrot>>>Sanji
    Carrot>>>Usopp
    Carrot>>>Zoro
    Carrot>>Chopper


    She's had a lot of focus...
    …what are you even saying here? First off, Carrot hasn’t joined yet, so this whole comparison is based on an unproven assumption. By this logic, Caesar Clown is even MORE likely to join than Carrot. Secondly, just because Carrot has been around a while doesn’t mean shes been continuously featured. She gets spotlight in WCI, yes, but in Zou and Wano she does next to nothing, whereas the crewmembers you compare her to were showcased consistently from their first appearance onwards. And thirdly, she has “chapters between debut and joining” because the other characters joined right away after having arcs explicitly lampshading their role on the crew and their dreams, sometimes from the very first panel showing them.
    You seem to fixate on the raw number of chapters featuring Carrot as if it somehow counts as a qualification, more than the actual content in them. This comparison does not help Carrots case, it hurts it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Someone said Inuarshi was the only mink in Act 2 tho

    Maybe 929 and 938 didn't happen then...
    In chapter 938 Carrot has a completely stock line directed at DogKing, the more prominently featured character by far, and more prominently featured on the panel as well. The line is not character-specific or integral in any way, and literally any other mink could’ve filled this purpose.
    I had to reread chapter 929 several times to even spot Carrot, because shes in the background of a single panel with no lines.
    What are you trying to prove with these examples? That in a purely semantic sense Carrot is still around? And that her mere continued existence qualifies as her crewmate potential being stoked, as opposed to the actual content and context of her extremely limited appearances?
    Again, you showing these examples of her being extremely peripheral don’t build Carrots case, they actively hurt it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    The background>>>> missing for over 60% of the arc. Actually on a whole different island. Why did Oda do that to a future nakama? She has to be in every panel and speaking in every chapter, moving the plot along. Poor Nami
    At this point I almost think you’re either trolling, or willfully choosing to disregard the basic mechanics of storytelling. Because while you keep bringing up this comparison, you ignore the basic context of Nami leaving Baratie.
    When we first meet Nami we learn several things very quickly. She hates pirates, and only steals from pirates. She wants to buy a village. She loves money and tangerines. These are all obvious hooks setting up a future backstory. When she decides to tag along, its made explicit that this is for pure convenience, rather than full-on joining, again signaling that there is more to come with her bond with Luffy. And so she doesn’t just randomly vanish from the story - Rather, its these plot-points being paid off, and as she sails away, this is reinforced. Several characters leave to chase after her, and its made explicit that Namis arc and backstory is next on the docket.
    Yes, shes absent for a chunk of Baratie. But that absence is given a clear purpose, and we’re promised both on a meta and an in-universe level that getting Nami back is a top priority. And said promise is capitalized upon in short order. Namis absence is not equal to Carrots, because Carrot has none of this context.

    You seem fixated on breaking the manga up like an equation, focusing on stuff like amount of chapters featuring Carrot and occasional background appearances, but in terms of what the actual storytelling is showing us is there any indication that Carrot -at this moment – is being prioritized? Are there any promises that she's due some eventual spotlight, or explicit signals that she has unfinished business? Any indication that what shes doing during this supposedly Nami-equivalent absence has a specific point, that other characters take note of this absence, or even that she matters at all?
    All this despite being on the actual island and not having the excuse of Namis geographical separation for her complete lack of involvement. Her being around and completely inconsequential again hurts her case far, far more than being absent with explicit promise of eventual focus. If Carrot was indeed being groomed to join the crew it simply makes no sense to completely marginalize her like this, to a degree unthinkable with any other crewmember to date. Nami and Robin didn't fade completely into the background prior to the arcs dealing with their baggage.
    Last edited by Daz; September 9th, 2019 at 07:05 AM.

  10. #3310

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    He installed her as someone being important in the future One Piece arcs and having a connection with the Strawhats that goes deeper than many characters in the series have. He showed through her the importance of the New Dawn for the Minks and foreshadowed Sulong. So, I don't see why not stop at this and take it for granted that she will join. She may. She may not. She will definitely play some role in this arc and likely the further ones untill... well the New Dawn.
    Yeah, agreed. Possibly just an ally, possibly a crewmate

  11. #3311

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Carrot would be a nakama for the crew but not a member. She is too young for luffys crew, the crew have a "pet" with Chopper and she has no position.
    I see 2 solutions.

    1. Koby will join the crew after the Reverie cause I will find out the secret of the government and that Imu will kill someone of the nefetari family
    Or Garp fall in this battle verses the Revos Or he joins the fight verses the emperor's and fall there.

    2. We become a completely new character.

  12. #3312

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nero Hardy View Post
    Carrot would be a nakama for the crew but not a member. She is too young for luffys crew, the crew have a "pet" with Chopper and she has no position.
    She's 15... Chopper was 15 when he joined.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nero Hardy View Post
    I see 2 solutions.

    1. Koby will join the crew after the Reverie cause I will find out the secret of the government and that Imu will kill someone of the nefetari family
    Or Garp fall in this battle verses the Revos Or he joins the fight verses the emperor's and fall there.
    Sure Koby will find out a secret that's been kept since for ever. Yeah he should forget his dream to become an admiral and join the fun pirate side of life.

    Garp dying, good joke.

    "There will be an answer, let it be."

  13. #3313

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    There's a chance that some of the Scabbards die. Carrot and Pekoms or Wanda and Pekoms might become the new leaders. Wanda seems more leader like than Carrot. Pekom's fate is crucial. If he's ok, then Jinbei is as well.

  14. #3314
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    In OP, death is the exception, not the rule. Yes, Yasuie is dead. Pedro's been hammered in as truly dead, too. But any of the samurai dying is still absurdly unlikely. Yasuie pushed them forward and Pedro pushed on Carrot, but any of them dying too would be superfluous.

    Look, Cockycent, I do still think Carrot could join: she's far and away the most likely out of anyone on Wano. But she's honestly dying on the vine. Jinbe has his promise to keep the fire going, but Carrot has been given squat to work with for over a year now. Until that changes, there's nothing worthwhile to argue about. Best to let it lie and wait for something new of substance, because everything else has been examined to death.



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  15. #3315

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    In OP, death is the exception, not the rule. Yes, Yasuie is dead. Pedro's been hammered in as truly dead, too. But any of the samurai dying is still absurdly unlikely. Yasuie pushed them forward and Pedro pushed on Carrot, but any of them dying too would be superfluous.

    Look, Cockycent, I do still think Carrot could join: she's far and away the most likely out of anyone on Wano. But she's honestly dying on the vine. Jinbe has his promise to keep the fire going, but Carrot has been given squat to work with for over a year now. Until that changes, there's nothing worthwhile to argue about. Best to let it lie and wait for something new of substance, because everything else has been examined to death.
    Interesting that you mention me, as if I started to argue over anything. Diablo mentioned some characters and I expounded on Vivi being a diplomat. I then mentioned Carrot among a bunch of other characters as possible (even ones that I disagree with as less likely) and someone else decided to initiate a discussion over Carrot. Maybe your message is really for them and not me.

  16. #3316
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Interesting that you mention me, as if I started to argue over anything. Diablo mentioned some characters and I expounded on Vivi being a diplomat. I then mentioned Carrot among a bunch of other characters as possible (even ones that I disagree with as less likely) and someone else decided to initiate a discussion over Carrot. Maybe your message is really for them and not me.
    No, I'm talking to you, specifically. I think you're barking up the wrong tree with some of your arguments, especially about Nami and the Akazaya.

    I do agree with you that the development Carrot had in WCI is legitimately important. But there's no point in denying that so far, Wano hasn't given her anything substantial. There's time, there's potential, but once again, there's not much new to say.



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  17. #3317

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    No, I'm talking to you, specifically. I think you're barking up the wrong tree with some of your arguments, especially about Nami and the Akazaya.

    I do agree with you that the development Carrot had in WCI is legitimately important. But there's no point in denying that so far, Wano hasn't given her anything substantial. There's time, there's potential, but once again, there's not much new to say.
    You said that there's nothing to argue with, but not directing your stance at the person that wants to initiate a discussion/argument over Carrot? Also, the "Carrot is a traitor" meme that is talked about for 5+ pages never caused you to feel the need to address those individuals. It's not about disagreeing with Carrot as potential or not, when you're trying to tell me to not respond to those that initiate a Carrot convo.

    Also, i've said it multiple times and just in case you didn't understand. I don't think Nami being missing in Baratie matters. I'm displaying how a character's chapter count, panel time, or relevance to an arc doesn't take them out of the possible nakama convo. Obviously, many others agree because they are repetitively saying what I already know about Nami and why her absence doesn't matter. Carrot's absence doesn't matter.

  18. #3318
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    You said that there's nothing to argue with, but not directing your stance at the person that wants to initiate a discussion/argument over Carrot? Also, the "Carrot is a traitor" meme that is talked about for 5+ pages never caused you to feel the need to address those individuals. It's not about disagreeing with Carrot as potential or not, when you're trying to tell me to not respond to those that initiate a Carrot convo.

    Also, i've said it multiple times and just in case you didn't understand. I don't think Nami being missing in Baratie matters. I'm displaying how a character's chapter count, panel time, or relevance to an arc doesn't take them out of the possible nakama convo. Obviously, many others agree because they are repetitively saying what I already know about Nami and why her absence doesn't matter. Carrot's absence doesn't matter.
    Robby will never be convinced, and honestly, I currently don't have the energy to try, not without some fresh ammo. And the idea of Carrot being a traitor has always been so laughable and no one has seemed to make a serious case for it, I've never bothered to worry about it.

    The major issue with Carrot being out of the picture vs Nami or someone like Jinbe is the explicit promise that those characters' stories would be revisited by Oda. They both had reasons to be out of the picture, so whether it was half a year like Nami or five years like Jinbe, their future importance was never called into question.

    Carrot had developed immensely during the escape from WCI, especially because of Pedro's death. However, one could argue that she fulfilled her story arc already, having her moment to shine like Pedro said, by toughening up and saving the crew. She has not had anything to do since then, with no promises for doing more than any other ally on Wano. That's not good no matter how you slice it. Certainly anything could call Carrot to the front at any time, and I'm holding out hope that will happen. But her separation from the drama is not the same as Nami's, not in the least.



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  19. #3319

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Robby will never be convinced
    Not true at all. That would imply I'm just staunchly anti-Carrot, rather than pro-proof. I won't be convinced by the arguments that have been used thus far... because they're not convincing because nothing currently in the story is convincing.

    But at any time Oda could have
    -give more depth to her backstory
    -give more depth to her dream
    -add some sort of detail to her design to give her more history and thought in her design. If she got a scar or an earing or was given a more unique weapon (the way Nami got a bracelet, compass, tatoo, and magic staff as she went, but didn't start with any of those) or kept some of her sulong traits or SOMETHING to indicate her plain early design was a holder till the real design came in. Like her Sulong form has a fluffy neck collar thing, a giant not-Rabbit like tail, and unusual eyes unlike much else in the series. Still not a design that's 100% there in the unique category, but it was more. Those are exactly the sort of touches I'd expect a crewmember to have... but from the start, not just a temporary powerup.

    The fact that he hasn't done those things to any significant degree after nearly 200 chapters makes me more confident than before that he never will though.

    Or, more simply, had she continued having a major active role this arc. I was starting to cave a little when she was in the group shot where they all got new Wano costumes and she was prominently with the crew again, because it seemed like she was going to be front and center for another big multi-year arc which would be a lot harder to argue, at which point I'd concede a lot and chalk it up to Oda just not nailing it.

    But then it was announced she was going to pair up with Chopper again and go rejoin the minks, which seemed like she was being set up to be sidelined... then she went and left the story. Had she stayed active in this arc, even if just as Chopper's counterpoint again, I'd have conceded a lot by this point but she fell firmly into the secondary character slot that, to me, she seemed to always be in.
    Last edited by Robby; September 9th, 2019 at 11:08 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  20. #3320

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Robby will never be convinced, and honestly, I currently don't have the energy to try, not without some fresh ammo. And the idea of Carrot being a traitor has always been so laughable and no one has seemed to make a serious case for it, I've never bothered to worry about it.

    The major issue with Carrot being out of the picture vs Nami or someone like Jinbe is the explicit promise that those characters' stories would be revisited by Oda. They both had reasons to be out of the picture, so whether it was half a year like Nami or five years like Jinbe, their future importance was never called into question.

    Carrot had developed immensely during the escape from WCI, especially because of Pedro's death. However, one could argue that she fulfilled her story arc already, having her moment to shine like Pedro said, by toughening up and saving the crew. She has not had anything to do since then, with no promises for doing more than any other ally on Wano. That's not good no matter how you slice it. Certainly anything could call Carrot to the front at any time, and I'm holding out hope that will happen. But her separation from the drama is not the same as Nami's, not in the least.
    For most of July and August, most of what I see on Carrot has to do with the traitor meme. It is this same thread for multiple pages. Some have been offended when I question why the meme is plausible to them.

    Another thing. I am not a Youtuber. They take what they want to happen and ramble on a soliloquy with like 1 piece of proof for 14+ minutes and it's usually an idea from a forum poster. Youtubers want to convince and persuade others into what they want to happen. Their fans/following keep that spirit alive on forums. When I speak on nakama, theories or speculations, they are takes based on the manga. I have and will never use what I want to happen or try to convince anyone to go with my perception of the manga and where it might go.

    I bring this up because a theory or speculation gets mixed up with what people want to happen or a persuasive essay. These are not theories. A theory (for manga at least) questions manga moments and occurrences, then formulates a possible outcome. I question things that come up in abundance and come up with what I think they are leading to. When someone agrees or disagrees, I try to see how they got to their point. When someone shows that they are going off the "I want this" mindset, I will not take it seriously. That will always be the disconnect. There's no convincing or voting for a SH nakama from me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts