+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Matt Groening's Disappointment

Default Re: Matt Groening's Disenchantment

Yeah, in any long running show, characters are going to evolve, at least some of them will. What you see in Disenchantment now could change a lot in the next few years if it keeps going.

Another example for me is American Dad. I didn't like the show in it's first season at all, but now I think it's definitely far superior to Family Guy.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Heck, the characters already changed a bit from the beginning of the season to the end (albiet Elfo is mostly just because I think the writers wrote themselves into a corner with his character). My only hope (and I presume we are getting this) is having more of the world expanded as I think there is a lot of creative possibilities with this universe through the Futurama team with more parodies mixed with legit world building.

I hope they learned from their mistake with the weirdo pacing of the first season through the netflix format by giving us something more cohesive and episodic. It looks like this may be the case too with the characters all split up with various potential plot lines that may manifest which will give us a grander look at the world.

Plus more villains please!

Discovered Stowaway

Fucking FINALLY!

Its like they're pretending its a real show with new episodes only airing in the fall. (And it being hand drawn animation I'm sure it does take a year to make a batch.)

Which would have been fine if episodes had aired weekly and it took 3 months to get through them and paced some of it out so that the cliffhanger came closer to summer.

Awkward pacing when you burn through it in a day.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Discovered Stowaway

I don't like waiting after I've gotten a taste so I like being able to binge the whole thing even if it means waiting a tad longer to get the finished season.

Just watched the first two episodes of season 2.

Spoiler:
    So far, pretty much the same as season 1. Some of jokes land, but a lot of them fall flat because of weird timing and delivery. Episode 2 was pretty good though.

Discovered Stowaway

WOW, that was a huge disappointment for waiting all that time. And it left off at yet another cliffhanger. I think I'm done. There were numerous elements they should have used more of (the advanced, steampunk-ish civilization could have been much more prominent). Oona becoming a badass pirate was probably the high point and that happened very early on. I wish each of these 'seasons' was 13 episodes instead so they could more fully run with the potential that this genre has but the constraints are really limiting what they can show and it's hurting its quality.

Idunno what this series has, that I don't activelly enjoy it, but it is just so consumible that I kinda want to keep watching.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Two episodes into the season. ANd again, the show isn't really funny. It has a moment here or there, but the jokes don't land or they just aren't making them.

Are they taking this show, from the Simpsons and Futurama crews, too seriously? I just don't understand. We're not coming to you guys for the PLOT. Just make us laugh! You can get the feels in whenever you want, but...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: Matt Groening's Disappointment

Just finished Season 2 and, yeah, it's still pretty mediocre overall. I think one of the problems with this show is that, while it's good at making "small" or chuckle-worthy jokes, it never really lands any "big" jokes. You know, stuff that sticks with you. But still, I guess the show is just entertaining enough and the characters endearing enough that I guess I'm willing to watch Season 3 and hope that, by some miracle, it gets a lot better.

As Bojack Horseman said about Becker, this show has all the right pieces, but they just can't seem to put them together.

I think it might help if the show just didn't have the Groening art style. If it looked serious or like, say, Archer, a lot of the comedy would be in normal fantasy looking characters being doofs and the more subtle humor would hit home and feel more appropriate. But with the Simpsons art style, and resuing basically the entire Futurama voice cast, you just expect it to be that kind of really over the top delivery and joke every 30 seconds style that those shows excel at. Rather than the slower paced, trying to be serious ongoing... thing... that this show is.

The show does feel a bit stronger than it's first season where it ACTUALLY got some laughs out of me (albiet, nothing super memorable aside from MAYBE Jerry and even then I'll forget about that exchange within a year or so). It isn't necessarily all that bad, but it isn't really that great or memorable either aside from looking gorgeous really. I was honestly hoping for more opportunities to explore stuff like steampunk land which was probably the most interesting element of this show so far but...yeah it was short lived.

Another gripe I had is that we're still stuck in Dreamland with MOST of the status quo intact whereas the end of the 1st season seemed to promise that we might see more of the world (Well...more of Maru and anything around it)...but now we are pretty much doing exactly the same thing with the end of the 2nd season with A FEW plot based things shuffled and revealed.

Would you guys say there is a chance for it to really pull its boots up for the next seasons onward, like how Korra's stronger back half kinda made up for the disaapoiting front half?

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    Would you guys say there is a chance for it to really pull its boots up for the next seasons onward, like how Korra's stronger back half kinda made up for the disaapoiting front half?
    I mean...anything's possible. The show has potential, it's just a matter of whether the writers can figure out how to bring it out. Not exactly getting my hopes up, but it's possible.

Sure... its got a lot of the talent from other shows, there's always a chance of them figuring out what's wrong with it. Even though Netflix split the episodes a year apart, all of the first 20 episodes are still listed elsewhere as one season and have production codes backing that that up, and the were all ordered at the same time, so they may have all been written and started at the same time with no true opportunity to get feedback on the first season, despite the year long gap between halves.

They got an *actual* season 2 order later, so seasons 3 and 4 might actually be improved whenever they show up.

The executive producers are largely different though, and they're missing Ken Keeler who wrote most of the best episodes of Futurama, (Including all four finales) and David Cohen has only written 2 episodes and is just producer instead of executive producer, and those guys were responsible for a lot. So it may just be they're missing some people that made the old stuff really work. But that can change with a single hire or change in goals.

Or they realize what they have isn't working and change the format/location, or add more characters to bounce off of. One reason Futurama worked was because it went all over the place and could get fresh material every episode.. and also helped that it had a core crew of like 7 characters, not just 3. Plus regulars like Scruffy, nibbler and Zap and Kiff.

That said, I don't know how much more leeway Netflix will give them.
    Last edited by Robby; September 29th, 2019 at 10:47 PM.

I finally finished this season. I did not enjoy it. I was vaguely curious where this cliffhanger would take us. But I realized I mostly don't care. I don't think I like any of the characters enough. They're all hit and miss with mostly a lot of misses.

I wanted more of that Steampunk city...

Discovered Stowaway

If they listen to the feedback appropriately, maybe.

I think the biggest problem is sticking to a season-long story arc really boxes them in, which is kind of the formula for South Park post-season 16 and it noticeably has hurt the quality of that show as well.

Naw, the thing that's hurt the quality of SOuth Park is the fact that Trey and Matt were ready to be done with it 16 years and 200 episodes ago. They very pointedlly said in episode 100 "there's no point for a show to go more than 100 episodes, its said everything it has to say." And they insulted the making of the show, and had episdoes like where Stan was like "everything is shit now" that seemed like it could be a series finale till it wasn't.. (and that was 8 years ago now) . And whenever you see them in interviews or behind the scenes they shit on the show and have every sign of not wanting to be there, and there's a reason they make the episodes in a week, and only have 8-10 peisode seasons now.

They are super duper burned out on it and they don't want to do it, but its so lucrative and relatively low effort (only working 2 months of the year) they can't say no. And after 22 years and 300 episodes, with no other writers or directors the entire time?

If anything, doing the season arcs and having the status quo change is the thing that most energized them and got them excited again, though yes they've pretty much dropped the ball on the ending every season.
    Last edited by Robby; September 30th, 2019 at 09:34 PM.

Doesn't help that everything bad that happens in the world can be turned into a South Park episode.

And the Simpsons on that note.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Naw, the thing that's hurt the quality of SOuth Park is the fact that Trey and Matt were ready to be done with it 16 years and 200 episodes ago. They very pointedlly said in episode 100 "there's no point for a show to go more than 100 episodes, its said everything it has to say." And they insulted the making of the show, and had episdoes like where Stan was like "everything is shit now" that seemed like it could be a series finale till it wasn't.. (and that was 8 years ago now) . And whenever you see them in interviews or behind the scenes they shit on the show and have every sign of not wanting to be there, and there's a reason they make the episodes in a week, and only have 8-10 peisode seasons now.

They are super duper burned out on it and they don't want to do it, but its so lucrative and relatively low effort (only working 2 months of the year) they can't say no. And after 22 years and 300 episodes, with no other writers or directors the entire time?

If anything, doing the season arcs and having the status quo change is the thing that most energized them and got them excited again, though yes they've pretty much dropped the ball on the ending every season.
    Well I think the show peaked at the Black Friday trilogy so they reached their pinnacle just after saying that, so it was worth keeping it going at least until then.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information