+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Ugh, I'm not a fan of hers. I think the best part she ever played in was The Brothers Grimsby.

And is it just me or did anyone else get a Judge Doom vibe off of Stephen Merchant's character?

How did I miss that Ryan Reynolds is making a new Clue movie?
    https://movieweb.com/clue-movie-rema...n1eiu60HRB4sJk

I want to believe in the Deadpool writers and Jason Batemen (who may or may not direct), but the original Clue movie seems so perfect I don't know why anyone would bother.

Sure the original CLue is great despite all odds but... thats largely on Tim Curry carrying the film. Everyone else in it is between fine and good, but he CARRIED it.

So theres room for the actual *film* to be better in terms of plot, pacing, jokes, characters, etc. Just gonna be super hard pressed to match up against Curry.
    Last edited by Robby; September 25th, 2019 at 11:41 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Natch. Maybe, MAYBE, Ryan Reynolds could live up to that, but I dunno. That's Tim Curry you gotta live up to.

And yes, Tim Curry is the best, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone else but those actors playing the characters.

Take note I'm apparently the only person in the world who is okay with the idea of them redoing Princess Bride, so my opinion may not count here either.

I like the original movie as much as anyone and I don't think it'll work without a super talented team, but I'm okay with them trying.

I'm also apparently the only person in the last 30 years that managed to somehow read the book before seeing the movie and got a completely different feel from the book than the movie delivered.

(The book was a straight adventure with some funny dialogue. The movie was a straight up comedy with some adventure. They both used the same basic script but the performances, budget, editing, choices made turned it into much more of a farce. Still a fantastic movie, but not what I imagined from the book.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

That happens sometimes, although often people just don't make a movie that lives up to the book.

I was looking forward to Gemini Man but it isn't doing overly well on RT at the moment (though the reviews are few). I had a bad feeling after I saw this clip:

Look at how he falls from the bicycle? Look at how the younger Smith smacks the older smith with the back of his bike. That look so damn unrealistic. Why even do this? And then the car at the end change color!!! And this is the clip you chose to share?

Do we have an SNL thread?

Ad Astra is the best movie of the year. Slow as I like it. I didn't love it, but that's the best thing that came out this year anyway

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Weeeiiiirrrrrddd . . . .

I mean, Eddie Murphy managed it but that's because it was a modern Dolittle. If they're doing another Victorian Dolittle then it'll be hard to imagine anyone but Rex Harrison doing it. But hey, if anyone can do it maybe it'll be RDJ.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Never mind, found the trailer. I'm not impressed:

No theaters near me are playing Jojo Rabbit or the Lighthouse.... what a bummer

Is Jojo Rabbit not getting a wide release?
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    Can't imagine why it wouldn't, the director is freaking awesomely famous now.

I watched Little Monsters on Hulu yesterday, expecting a bit more than I ended up getting. The protagonist is a completely unlikable prick so I didn't enjoy seeing him doing his thing before they give him the chance to start redeeming himself, though in fairness they did a good job helping him turn it all around in the end. But Lupita N'yongo's character was where it really shone, keeping her composure very well while defending a kindergarten class during a zombie outbreak. Josh Gad's character was perfect, a crude, cursing Krusty the Klown sort of bastard off-stage who destroys the kids' image of his performance persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    I don't think so, I can't find that or the Light House playing anywhere near me

Zombieland 2 was a really good movie. I have to say it's one of those sequals movies that just as good as the original movie.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    Zombieland 2 was a really good movie. I have to say it's one of those sequals movies that just as good as the original movie.
    I wholeheartedly agree, they're kind of two different animals so it's a little odd to have to compare them in that sense, but it's certainly as enjoyable as the first while bringing a lot of new fun to the table, and there's once again loads of potential for yet another sequel if they feel like going further with it:
    Spoiler:
    If they want to keep going with further zombie evolution they can have a hive mind sort of thing develop so that even from vast distances, zombies can hone in on the location of prey as long as one of their 'drones' in another location spots them. It would make sense given the cleverness of the Hawkings, so that maybe the same method of killing them won't work on the others who can learn from mistakes. I know the movies don't try to make the threat really seem all that serious until the climax but this one definitely had more serious moments leading up to that than the first one, so a third entry in the series could do that a bit more too. Also it might be fun to see them take it international, maybe have the family of homies go to Canada and/or Mexico if not any other continents.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't even HINT at Little Rock getting a boyfriend at the end, and hell, they made it seem like she was still a virgin by the time Wichita and Columbus got married. I mean, they could have rolled up on a well-armed hitchhiker around her age and she could have given the camera one of those smiles that lets us know, "oh hell yeah, we're getting another sequel, baby!"

Also, if Babylon didn't allow guns and disposed of all of them, what exactly was supposed to be keeping them from being taken over by a small but well-armed group? I mean, I get that after the great stampede they probably converted all their necklace peace signs into blades and spears and whatnot but did no one seriously think about defense? Pretty unrealistic, and even more so that they survived that long without being overrun sooner. Plus they even mentioned Dawn of the Dead, which ended with an unruly gang laying siege to the undefended sanctuary, so no one even made that connection to bring it around full-circle even as a criticism.

And if someone is going into anaphylactic shock, do they not need an epinephrine shot to undo their swelling and closing windpipe somehow as long as they don't pass out? I mean, I made it a point not to let those little plot holes bother me during the movie but afterward I was like, how'd that not occur to anyone to at least point it out and make a joke out of how silly those errors ought to be looked at as? On the plus side, though, it was genuinely a surprise that they brought Madison back since thanks to Albuquerque and Flagstaff, we know the symptoms of becoming a zombie are vomiting profusely and I don't think that's something we saw explicitly stated in the first film. Or maybe that's a unique feature of being bitten by and becoming the T-800 strain.

One last thing...if you were in Columbus' situation, would anyone have elected not to sleep with Madison in favor of staying faithful to Wichita, which at the same time would give Tallahassee some well-deserved female attention after such a long time? It would be like double-good-Samaritan points if you think about it but I'm curious if I'd be in the minority of being a gentleman under the circumstances (not to mention an airhead like her would probably be sporting loads of venereal diseases and not even be aware of it).
    Last edited by BattleFranky69; October 18th, 2019 at 10:40 PM.

I finally saw Won't You Be My Neighbor? It truly is a wonderful movie. One that inspires you to be a better person.

This world needs another Mr. Rogers, now more than ever.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information