+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 419

Thread: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

  1. #201

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHamster View Post
    You forget they can all fly while almost none of the Big Mom pirates can. Haki has a limited range, only people who have big enough range to detect where the SHs would go are Enel and Aisa.


    1.) I'm disappointed Luffy and Sanji didn't hold their own for longer. Didn't expect them to not get owned, but not owned THIS hard.
    Owned? what are you talking about? Luffy didn't take any damage, he ran out of Haki to fuel and G4 and they got taped down by candy when Sanji was probably trying to find out what's wrong with him.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

  2. #202
    UNTITLED xan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somwhere around the Indus Valley

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Well, his understudy cooks are soul-sucked, and any ingredients he makes via his DF Big Mom will not like. And the rare ingredients are likely all used up, too.
    Its not just about the cook and big mom but more importantly big moms crew. They should be in a position where they are desperate to let anyone save them from mom which in this case is their enemy Sanji. If we still had big moms old cook, it wouldn't make the crew more desperate to let someone like Sanji save them. The fact that its mentioned that the cook might be strong too by Bege late in the arc would probably further underline the strength of Big Mom when she takes him out of the equation in a hit or two during her rampage

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

  3. #203

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    It might've been ten minutes, but once again its the (lack of) transitions that make it jarring; we go from full power G4 clash with Big Mom to totally drained of power to fully recovered with no stages inbetween.
    I just chalk it up to the same reason we don't see Luffy shrink after G3 any more. The drawback was there in the beginning, but it slowly disappears over the course of the series

  4. #204

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Which was way after the initial motivator once again

  5. #205
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monkey D. View Post
    Now to wait for the big proponents of the cake theory like Greg and Count Mario.
    Sorry for the late entry. I honestly can't wait for next week's chapter. Thank God that there is not a break. What better time is there to debunk or confirm the Cake Theory than the week of One Piece's 20th anniversary? Months and months of debates, criticism, skepticism, evidence, red herrings, and community splits will finally come to a head. I can't freaking wait.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    Honestly, I don't see this arc lasting longer than Alabasta, which would mean a further 16 chapters. I think in around 10-12 we'll be out of Totto Land and looking towards the Reverie. But this is just my hunch. There is not that much story left that would warrant a longer arc, and this would still mean over 3 months until its end. That would make Reverie happen in October and Wano starting while we're still in 2017.
    I completely agree with this. I was always hoping that Totland would last until at least Chapter 880, so as long as it hits that mark, I'm golden. There's enough time in that amount of chapters to solidly tackle a realized Cake Theory and tie up loose plot threads of the arc.

    Beautiful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    The cake toppling was done pretty well. There were still some wonky transitions though; Not only did the SH alliance travel pretty far very fast, we never see Sanji and Luffy - the two main characters of the arc - make their escape from the top. Luffy seems completely recovered, and Germa is nowhere to be seen. Big Moms berserker state also feels a bit sudden, considering how she appears earlier in the chapter; building her cake-rage up from there would've made the cliffhanger land even better. Though I'm glad to see that Big Mom and her crew are still painted as a force to be reconed with. Everything to do with them is easily the best part of the arc, and I can't wait to see Big Mom hopefully make life hell for the SH alliance.
    I can agree with everything here, but for some reason, they don't really bother me like other things in this arc. I appreciated Big Mom saying that Streussen's powers can make food but food that's not tasty. That way, his powers don't automatically devalue both gathering ingredients and cooking. UNLIKE how Law's powers stole Chopper's thunder from Punk Hazard. And I might as well include Mansherry too now that I think about it. But I digress.

    Speaking of, especially with these last few chapters, it still feels so weird to be rooting this hard against the main characters. Its a big part of why the climax hasn't truly engaged me. I mean, in this chapter alone you have one character crying at the impending death of her mother and siblings, while an opposing character laughs at it evilly - and the former is an antagonist, and the latter an ally of the protagonists. You have civilians in peril, due to the fallout from a dirty bomb - and the one who gets the big heroic moment is Streussen of all people, with the protagonist side either not giving a shit, or annoyed that the chaos didn't kill their enemies.
    Sorry, but I loved it. Seeing the Big Mom Pirates having compassion and sadness for each other helped give them more depth as a family that I wish that I could have seen more of earlier in the arc besides maybe the Moscato and Cracker incidents. And Bege laughing at their demise cracked me up. It perfectly suits his character and I love seeing morally complex conflicts like this with grey characters than a strict black-and-white. It reminds me of how I felt reading Impel Down or instances of Doflamingo seemingly caring a bit about his crew members, which I would never mind seeing more of. Streussen saving the day works as a good way to show the crew's efficiency too.

    With a characters like Bege and Caesar- who feel like they've eclipsed the main crew as of late- it kind of works. Bege in particular comes out the strongest because he's been the most consistently underhanded/cruel, even if his "kill Big Mom for the lulz, then run" scheme is a bit too convenient. Caesar is a bit more iffy, because even if Nami pays lip service to not forgetting his misdeeds he's still karmically getting off scot free, at least for now. Though I have hopes he gets stuck on Whole Cake.
    I can't really say why I feel like this, but I have a feeling that he might get captured by Stussy. Her role in the arc seems the most intriguing to me. And while I expect her presence to somehow tie into Big Mom's flashback, it would feel a bit wasteful to have her leave without anything seemingly being gained from being her besides maybe reporting that Big Mom's territory is now somewhat weakened. If Stussy kidnaps Caesar (I imagine it would go down in a similar way like Pekoms vs Caribou, or she just uses seastone cuffs if Oda's not in the mood to give females good combat showcasing against males as usual), then that puts him in the World Government/Marines' custody and can easily tie into Vegapunk and whatever arc he finally appears in. There's not really a point in having him stay with Big Mom since he won't be able to complete the Gigantification process. And while he does tie into the whole SMILE subplot, I can't really see what role he can play in Wano Country without maybe helping out against the chemical weapons the Beast Pirates have like on Zou.

    But the Straw Hats, through their collusion with these people and indifference to the near-destruction of Whole Cake City just come off as...off. The troupe includes "Don't take life for granted!" Brook, "Cure everyone!" Chopper, Honorable mc Honorablington Jinbe and King Of Empathy Sanji, and somehow they're not the ones saving the imperiled townspeople, and I I don't want them to succeed in their goals. I can't recall another time where thats' happened.
    Okay, I can agree that I would have appreciated at least a couple speech bubbles about the Straw Hats being concerned about the Sweet City citizens.

    Apart from that, Stussy remains the worst secret agent ever, and Big Bird Morgans remains is surprisingly endearing.
    And Smoothie is still as useless as always. Katakuri relies more on Daifuku than her lol. And seriously, where was Count Niwatori? I still can't even tell where he is in the chapter panels either, although I assume it's from somewhere within the castle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monkey D. View Post
    Okay cake stuff (I apologize ahead of time):
    That is a well summarized post of the Cake Theory and its plausibility. Great job! Katakuri remaining calm in this chapter compared to Galette and Brûlée helps assert him as someone who won't show fear (unless he sees a really bad future prediction lol).

    Although I would like to add one thing that I recently realized. One is that I can see Pound coming back to the story now that everybody is on the ground. Perhaps after Big Mom's illness is dealt with. The Straw Hats will have to at least go through the Seducing Woods to get back to the Thousand Sunny. Because of this however, I also have a hard time seeing that Bege is going to escape from the island this early either. Only because of the fact that Chiffon is currently inside of his body. If we're going to get a sappy ending with the whole Charlotte Family bonding with Big Mom and the latter changing into a better person, Chiffon and Pound should be there.

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    The Straw Hats and the Big Moms are going to team up to keep Big Mom at bay while Sanji saves the day with his cooking. During this time I'm pretty certain we are going to get direct comparisons between Mom's crew and Luffy's. Not that we'll see how they will fight each other but how they handle Big Mom's abilities in different ways. The Mom Pirates have wicked abilities that are absolutely nuts and crazy raw strength but outside of their captain they don't have a weather manipulator like Nami or a Soul manipulator like Brook. I've long said that we didn't see Brook deal with Big Mom or Nami deal with Zeus on panel because it was all being saved for the big action at the end. I assume that those are things that were supposed to keep us guessing and discussing with one another and now we are set to get a pay off. If not Oda can kiss my apples!

    I imagine we will get moments between the Straw Hats and Big Mom's that will give us the impression that the Straw Hats really could hang with them if circumstances were different. Same with Germa and Sanji. Watch Ichiji take a massive Mama hit that puts him out cold while Sanji receives the same attack but gets up and gets back in the make shift kitchen.

    Now about Linlin's sickness and Chopper's potential to shine. Chopper has already proven to be able to cure mental conditions that cause the patient to violently lash out indiscriminately at anyone around. The only thing is I'm not entirely sure Chopper solved his Monster Point issues with medicine at all. As a matter of fact I'm sure he didn't. Chopper learned kungfu and tempered his mind to be strong and in control of the raging monster. The Rumble Ball itself now allows Chopper to take the Monster form but it doesn't affect his mind. When Franky(In Chopper's body) tried to use a Rumble Ball his mind could not handle the wild monster so he just went nuts.

    I assume Chopper strengthened his mind with some kungfu style meditation but he may have very well developed some powerful medication that kept him from becoming insane while in Monster Point. What ever the case is I really hope that Chopper gets to help Big Mom in the same way that he helped himself giving us more insight into his time away on Birdy Island.
    I agree with all of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkestsith6 View Post
    I just chalk it up to the same reason we don't see Luffy shrink after G3 any more. The drawback was there in the beginning, but it slowly disappears over the course of the series
    Um, I thought that was because Luffy fully mastered Gear Second and Gear Third over the timeskip. There's not even a point in having the Gear Third shrinking when the Gear Fourth fatigue plays the exact same buffer function.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  6. #206

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkestsith6 View Post
    I just chalk it up to the same reason we don't see Luffy shrink after G3 any more. The drawback was there in the beginning, but it slowly disappears over the course of the series
    G3īs side effects did not slowly disappear, Luffy needed a timeskip to remove them

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I completely agree with this. I was always hoping that Totland would last until at least Chapter 880, so as long as it hits that mark, I'm golden. There's enough time in that amount of chapters to solidly tackle a realized Cake Theory and tie up loose plot threads of the arc.

    Sorry, but I loved it. Seeing the Big Mom Pirates having compassion and sadness for each other helped give them more depth as a family that I wish that I could have seen more of earlier in the arc besides maybe the Moscato and Cracker incidents. And Bege laughing at their demise cracked me up. It perfectly suits his character and I love seeing morally complex conflicts like this with grey characters than a strict black-and-white. It reminds me of how I felt reading Impel Down or instances of Doflamingo seemingly caring a bit about his crew members, which I would never mind seeing more of. Streussen saving the day works as a good way to show the crew's efficiency too.

    I can't really say why I feel like this, but I have a feeling that he might get captured by Stussy. Her role in the arc seems the most intriguing to me. And while I expect her presence to somehow tie into Big Mom's flashback, it would feel a bit wasteful to have her leave without anything seemingly being gained from being her besides maybe reporting that Big Mom's territory is now somewhat weakened. If Stussy kidnaps Caesar (I imagine it would go down in a similar way like Pekoms vs Caribou, or she just uses seastone cuffs if Oda's not in the mood to give females good combat showcasing against males as usual), then that puts him in the World Government/Marines' custody and can easily tie into Vegapunk and whatever arc he finally appears in. There's not really a point in having him stay with Big Mom since he won't be able to complete the Gigantification process. And while he does tie into the whole SMILE subplot, I can't really see what role he can play in Wano Country without maybe helping out against the chemical weapons the Beast Pirates have like on Zou.


    Okay, I can agree that I would have appreciated at least a couple speech bubbles about the Straw Hats being concerned about the Sweet City citizens.


    And Smoothie is still as useless as always. Katakuri relies more on Daifuku than her lol. And seriously, where was Count Niwatori? I still can't even tell where he is in the chapter panels either, although I assume it's from somewhere within the castle.
    I sincerely hope not. WCI ending with 875 would be perfectly fine but considering we have to deal with escape + BMīs rage in that time, it seems more and more unlikely.

    Maybe i missed it but where was this compassion and sadness?
    Nobody cared about Cracker being beaten for example, you ahve family members rejoicing at the thought that Lola died the most painful death, and in this scene we only had a scared girl asking for the help of her brother and he simply going "shut up". The bonds between DD and his family members were stronger than this. Letīs not attribute things that are not there.

    I asked myself how CC can become relevant again, thatīs a good route really.

    Why should they care about the citizens again?

    No idea why Stussy should be deemed the worst secret agent? It is obvious that Morgan knew her identity beforehand and that they did the same thing before, meaning Morgan covering up one of her or CP0īs deeds.
    Everything else that happened was completely surprising and unexpected. She went to a Yonkou tea party/wedding and wanted to use one opportunity to get the box, not have to deal with Supernova fucking up the wedding, BM raging all over the place and a huge box exploding that would have killed her.

  7. #207
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    I sincerely hope not. WCI ending with 875 would be perfectly fine but considering we have to deal with escape + BMīs rage in that time, it seems more and more unlikely.
    I'd rather get one more whole volume dedicated to Totland. And that would mean it needs to last until at least Chapter 879. And I don't see how everything in this arc gets solved in three more chapters, especially when the end of Chapter 873 might be a cliffhanger where the Straw Hat Pirates decide to go back and help stop Big Mom's illness.

    Maybe i missed it but where was this compassion and sadness?
    Nobody cared about Cracker being beaten for example, you ahve family members rejoicing at the thought that Lola died the most painful death, and in this scene we only had a scared girl asking for the help of her brother and he simply going "shut up". The bonds between DD and his family members were stronger than this. Letīs not attribute things that are not there.
    Actually:

    Spoiler:


















    Cracker's defeat was a big deal for his family. Katakuri tells Galette to calm down, not to "shut up" (and even if he did, I wouldn't see it as being anything more than sibling banter or how Zoro and Sanji bicker while still helping each other). He's the type of strict brother to keep a cool head in situations like this instead of panic. That doesn't mean he doesn't care about his siblings, as evidenced by saving Galette from falling. As well as stealing back Brûlée from the Straw Hats.

    And they rejoiced over a TRAITOR to their family dying a painful death, not one of their own kin. Which is still messed up to a degree, but doesn't mean that they don't care about one another when on the same side. Actually, I just reread one of the Chapter 846 while typing this and Lola's siblings were actually horrified to learn that her Vivre Card may have been obtained from her getting killed:

    Spoiler:




    It's Big Mom and Big Mom only that absolutely hates Lola.

    Regardless, these types of interactions fit how they're a big time mafia family-styled pirate crew. Like with Moscato:

    Spoiler:












    So yes, these family bonds are there. Even Big Mom, as badly as she treats her family, has hints of caring about them. Although in her own special morbid/controlling way if they are on her side.

    Spoiler:






    There is that one scene where Daifuku hits Pudding. But as harsh as that was, I still see it as sibling/crewmate squabbling when one member is clearly holding the others back. Just notched up to action-adventure shonen levels.

    Spoiler:






    The family bond between the Donquixote Pirates got really damaged for me when Lao G was bragging about how the crew only thought of Baby-5 as a tool. And Oda's signature trait of making his villains irredeemable (Big Mom being the exception for obvious reasons) makes me think that he was trying to assert Rosinante and Law's opinions of Doflamingo being an evil-born, apathetic monster as fact rather than personal bias. Not that I think Doflamingo truly cares about them as people on his regally divine level, but I was really into how he at least appreciated them on the level of precious servants or pets he doesn't like to see wasted or undermined unless they absolutely need to be sacrificed.

    How the Big Mom Pirates regard Lola isn't anything different from how the Donquixote Pirates treated Rosinante and Law for trying to betray them.

    I asked myself how CC can become relevant again, thatīs a good route really.
    Awesome.

    Why should they care about the citizens again?
    Because the Straw Hats care about innocent people when they're about to be hurt in the immediate vicinity. They won't go out of their way to save islands until they make friends who are involved with those types of conflicts, but when somebody is being picked on or hurt in close proximity to them, they'll help out.

    Spoiler:












    Keep in mind that out of all the Straw Hats to do that, it was Zoro. And I'm not saying that he fought the Celestial Dragon after seeing that guy get shot (he was obviously oblivious to the situation), but still made sure to get that guy to a hospital once he noticed him while Bonney criticized the thought of pirates helping random people.

    No idea why Stussy should be deemed the worst secret agent? It is obvious that Morgan knew her identity beforehand and that they did the same thing before, meaning Morgan covering up one of her or CP0īs deeds.
    Everything else that happened was completely surprising and unexpected. She went to a Yonkou tea party/wedding and wanted to use one opportunity to get the box, not have to deal with Supernova fucking up the wedding, BM raging all over the place and a huge box exploding that would have killed her.
    I think Daz said that because she got caught by Morgans. I don't think he knew the truth about Stussy beforehand, he just has a cool head and is desensitized to this sort of thing. There would be no reason for Morgans to hide and regret that he got caught, thus not being able to write up a story on CP0's presence and had to only settle for the contents of the Tamatebako Box. Also, she TECHNICALLY could have used Soru and Geppou to grab the Tamatebako Box while it was falling, but I won't judge her for being too distracted and surprised to do that. However, I still think it's only a comedic hyperbole on Daz's part.
    Spoiler:




    Last edited by Count Mario; July 13th, 2017 at 12:17 AM.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  8. #208

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I'd rather get one more whole volume dedicated to Totland. And that would mean it needs to last until at least Chapter 879.


    Actually:



    Cracker's defeat was a big deal for his family. Katakuri tells Galette to calm down, not to "shut up" (and even if he did, I wouldn't see it as being anything more than sibling banter or how Zoro and Sanji bicker while still helping each other). He's the type of strict brother to keep a cool head in situations like this instead of panic. That doesn't mean he doesn't care about his siblings, as evidenced by saving Galette from falling. As well as stealing back Brûlée from the Straw Hats.

    And they rejoiced over a TRAITOR to their family dying a painful death, not one of their own kin. Which is still messed up to a degree, but doesn't mean that they don't care about one another when on the same side. Actually, I just reread one of the Chapter 846 while typing this and Lola's siblings were actually horrified to learn that her Vivre Card may have been obtained from her getting killed:



    It's Big Mom and Big Mom only that absolutely hates Lola.

    Regardless, these types of interactions fit how they're a big time mafia family-styled pirate crew. Like with Moscato:



    So yes, these family bonds are there. Even Big Mom, as badly as she treats her family, has hints of caring about them. Although in her own special morbid/controlling way if they are on her side.



    There is that one scene where Daifuku hits Pudding. But as harsh as that was, I still see it as sibling/crewmate squabbling when one member is clearly holding the others back. Just notched up to action-adventure shonen levels.



    The family bond between the Donquixote Pirates got really damaged for me when Lao G was bragging about how the crew only thought of Baby-5 as a tool. And Oda's signature trait of making his villains irredeemable (Big Mom being the exception for obvious reasons) makes me think that he was trying to assert Rosinante and Law's opinions of Doflamingo being an evil-born, apathetic monster as fact rather than personal bias. Not that I think Doflamingo truly cares about them as people on his regally divine level, but I was really into how he at least appreciated them on the level of precious servants or pets he doesn't like to see wasted or undermined unless they absolutely need to be sacrificed.

    How the Big Mom Pirates regard Lola isn't anything different from how the Donquixote Pirates treated Rosinante and Law for trying to betray them.


    Awesome.


    Because the Straw Hats care about innocent people when they're about to be hurt in the immediate vicinity. They won't go out of their way to save islands until they make friends who are involved with those types of conflicts, but when somebody is being picked on or hurt in close proximity to them, they'll help out.



    Keep in mind that out of all the Straw Hats to do that, it was Zoro. And I'm not saying that he fought the Celestial Dragon after seeing that guy get shot (he was obviously oblivious to the situation), but still made sure to get that guy to a hospital once he noticed him while Bonney criticized the thought of pirates helping random people.


    I think Daz said that because she got caught by Morgans. I don't think he knew the truth about Stussy beforehand, he just has a cool head and is desensitized to this sort of thing. There would be no reason for Morgans to hide and regret that he got caught, thus not being able to write up a story on CP0's presence and had to only settle for the contents of the Tamatebako Box. Also, she TECHNICALLY could have used Soru and Geppou to grab the Tamatebako Box while it was falling, but I won't judge her for being too distracted and surprised to do that. However, I still think it's only a comedic hyperbole on Daz's part.

    Yes, because he is one of the commanders, the highest authority and strength in their crew, there is nothing that suggests they caer about Cracker specifically. Itīs the same as BM herself, she did not send Cracker out after Snackīs defeat because she cared about Snack but because beating him was an insult to the BM Pirates and more importantly herself.
    Stealing Brulee was a tactical move and saving Galette keeps another crewmate but not showing a bit of sympathy is proof enough there is no love between them. Heck even when Moscato died, nobody was heartbroken, they were just fearful because BM does not even stop at her own family.

    They are not, thatīs just the surprise speaking out of them since she has been a target since she left. No caring person immediately asks with a stone face "what was her last words"..
    And it just shows how little they think of each other. Lola is no real traitor yet the moment she did something that did not benefit the crew and BM, they would like to kill her, this is no loving family man.
    And she does not treat them like children, but like toys and puppets she can control and like, thatīs not love though.
    At least in DDīs case, he saw Vergo as a partner for example with a clear understanding between them, DD is the superior one, everyone needs to die when it benefits him. In this case, as long as they do fine, they are ok, if not, they are goners.

    You mean sibling squabbling like one sibling trying to kill the other. I donīt know what kind of siblings you had my man, but thatīs not normal, whether itīs for crewmates or siblings. Thatīs why Sanji had to step in, Daifukuīs genie did not attack him but Pudding, going for the kill, hence "your turnīs up", she failed, she is sueless now. Not to forget the reason why Pudding is so twisted is literally because nobody ever showed her any kind of love in her entire life.

    That was Lao G, we are talking about DD. Even in Lawīs case, DD was shaken up by the memories of Law as a child which is why he got hit that much by Lawīs attacks. Just before he cut Lawīs arm off, he actually put those feelings and his doubt aside and got serious and that was the moment Law looked like a child in front of him.
    DD had no reason to apologize to Vergo since he knew he would die, yet still showed sympathy.
    He had no reason to apologize to Monet since she would ahve done so anyway and he had no reason to look completely distraught when nobody was in his room besides him.
    DD cared about his family, it was a twisted love since ultimately, his fate and purpose outranked those of his subordinates (though thatīs not unusual for a king and his subordinates) but he never felt good about it and he cared deeply.
    And even while killing Corazon, DD never shows any kind of joy about it, he even asks why he has to force him to kill another family member, itīs just as a child, he has chosen to walk this path (even that is debatable since there is a clear influence by Trebol and the rest), so nothing can stop him from following it even further.
    BM is killing her own children and all they do is be fearful that even they themselves are not safe anymore, there is no remorse, nothing, no bad feelings.


    They help out if they do not suffer negative effects from it. Zoro did not attack the Tenryuubito, like you said, because the guy was hurt but because he attacked him (and he did not even know that he is a Tenryuubito). Carrying a wounded guy to a hospital is not even remotely comparable to helping out now when they barely escaped with their lives. Heck,
    Luffy did not even want to safe the children for himself but because Chopper and Nami asked him to, they had a personal stake in it becuase "medicine and children". There is no situation like that here at all.

    I got the impression from that encounter that Morgan does this pretty often. Whether he personally knew Stussy is a CP0 agent is secondary, Stussy needed a cover for the actions here and Morgan could provide it.

  9. #209

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Hag: We were goners just now and got super lucky to have a shot at escaping. Letīs go to the ship and get the hell out of here.
    Jimmy: We need to move quick, theyīll surely pursue us.

    ...

    BM catches Smoothie by her long legs and slams her around like a hammer.
    After a few swings that deal almost no damage, she hammer-throws that good-for-nothing bartender daughter which is useless even as a smacking tool into the ocean.
    BM lustfully turns to Pudding.

    ...

    Sanji: Wait a second guys, I sense that BM is rampaging all over town.
    Hag: Yay, our chances of escaping are growing!
    Sanji: Oh no a beautiful girl is in grave danger now! You know what? I gotta go see a chick and bake a cake really quick, cya laterz.
    Hag: ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
    Hag murders Sanji.
    Brook: Thumbs up. But I donīt have a thumb. Yohoho.
    Chopper: Well deserved, what a fucking tool.
    Luffy: Bbut, what about my food?
    Jimmy: Iīm here now, donīt worry. I can catch fish on they way no problemo, weīll have plenty of food.
    Luffy: OK, we have Jimmy, fuck Sanji. Leave that corpse where it lays.

    Sorry, I couldnīt resist.

    On a more serious note, I loved the color spread and Odaīs note.

    A manīs dream will never die!

  10. #210

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    With the castle completely gone, that means the treasure room is completely gone...leaving her 3 poneglyphs out in the open....

  11. #211
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Yes, because he is one of the commanders, the highest authority and strength in their crew, there is nothing that suggests they caer about Cracker specifically. Itīs the same as BM herself, she did not send Cracker out after Snackīs defeat because she cared about Snack but because beating him was an insult to the BM Pirates and more importantly herself.
    There's also nothing suggesting that they don't care about Cracker. They saw he was beaten, became shocked and outraged, and went out for revenge. I agree that there could be more done to make the Charlotte Family's bond feel like there was more frequent compassion between them, which I actually said in my reply to Daz since I do think we can get more from them to see how much they do care about each other. But I do think there's enough evidence to say that they do regardless. I liked seeing Brûlée care about her siblings and mother along with Katakuri saving a crying Galette.

    I'm talking about the Charlotte Family specifically, not Big Mom herself. If they cared about Moscato enough to frequently warn him to not try calming down Big Mom and feel fear, and then screamed that Big Mom killed her own son (or maybe some citizens said that), I don't see why they can't also feel some compassion towards other siblings like Cracker. The way that they did the body might seem cold, but that's probably because they're used to this and know that Moscato isn't truly dead in typical Oda fashion or have some way to help him, which we see revealed later (hence why Mont-d'Or emphasized that every second be picked up).

    Stealing Brulee was a tactical move and saving Galette keeps another crewmate but not showing a bit of sympathy is proof enough there is no love between them. Heck even when Moscato died, nobody was heartbroken, they were just fearful because BM does not even stop at her own family.
    Just because somebody doesn't outwardly show emotions in tense situations does not mean they don't care about other people, including their family. It only means their personality and composure is different, perhaps with a focus on remaining professional instead of breaking down. That's all. Saving Brûlée was a tactical move, but he recognized that she was forced to help the enemy. Not that this is compassion, but it helps show that they're level-headed comrades. Saving and telling Galette to calm down was to keep their focus on track and can be a hint of legitimate compassion. I don't see this as anything different from how calm and collected Zoro, Sanji, and Robin act most of the time like with Merry's funeral or Usopp leaving the crew. That doesn't mean they don't care about their respective families, it's just who they are as people. I'd expect characters like Batman to do the exact same thing with Justice League teammates that he is close to. Not showing emotion doesn't mean he doesn't value his friends or their lives. They're in a deadly situation and there's no time to be getting touchy-feely when there's a lot of work to do and every bit of attention is needed to turn the tides instead of acting hysterical.

    They are not, thatīs just the surprise speaking out of them since she has been a target since she left. No caring person immediately asks with a stone face "what was her last words"..
    And it just shows how little they think of each other. Lola is no real traitor yet the moment she did something that did not benefit the crew and BM, they would like to kill her, this is no loving family man.
    "What was her last words" sounded like panicking or a demand to me. It's weird, but I've seen lines like that in fictional series before. it fits in with One Piece. And Lola is a traitor because she ran out on a valuable marriage. That doesn't mean she is a bad person, but it also doesn't mean that it isn't understandable for Big Mom or the Charlotte Family to hold that against her from their unethical perspective. I never said that they were great ethical people. They're big time pirates. That doesn't mean that they don't care about people who are in their own ranks and loyal.

    And she does not treat them like children, but like toys and puppets she can control and like, thatīs not love though.
    Hence why I said "in her own special morbid and controlling way". I never said that Big Mom wasn't a terrible mother or that she doesn't use her children as tools to further her own goals if need be. Just that she can care about them to some degree.

    At least in DDīs case, he saw Vergo as a partner for example with a clear understanding between them, DD is the superior one, everyone needs to die when it benefits him. In this case, as long as they do fine, they are ok, if not, they are goners.
    I do not see that line of thinking isn't just as twisted as hating traitors like Lola.

    You mean sibling squabbling like one sibling trying to kill the other. I donīt know what kind of siblings you had my man, but thatīs not normal, whether itīs for crewmates or siblings. Thatīs why Sanji had to step in, Daifukuīs genie did not attack him but Pudding, going for the kill, hence "your turnīs up", she failed, she is sueless now. Not to forget the reason why Pudding is so twisted is literally because nobody ever showed her any kind of love in her entire life.
    They're a messed up and quirky (by One Piece standards) family. In a crew of pirates, an impulsive sociopathic child fits. They're all still kids. I never said it was normal, I only said that I can see this happening in a world like One Piece. Daifuku didn't try to kill Pudding either. He only knocked her aside after she failed her role in the plan and wasn't contributing to hitting Sanji. It's wrong and abusive, but that's not on the same level as trying to literally kill her. It's sibling fighting and abuse upped to shonen levels. The Charlotte Family is obviously not normal, but you can still see how dynamics between them work similar to a family in general, except in a pirate world where standards are darker.

    That was Lao G, we are talking about DD. Even in Lawīs case, DD was shaken up by the memories of Law as a child which is why he got hit that much by Lawīs attacks. Just before he cut Lawīs arm off, he actually put those feelings and his doubt aside and got serious and that was the moment Law looked like a child in front of him.
    I agree, but I don't trust how Oda portrayed that moment with Baby-5 and how he usually characterizes his arc antagonists.

    DD had no reason to apologize to Vergo since he knew he would die, yet still showed sympathy.
    He had no reason to apologize to Monet since she would ahve done so anyway and he had no reason to look completely distraught when nobody was in his room besides him.
    DD cared about his family, it was a twisted love since ultimately, his fate and purpose outranked those of his subordinates (though thatīs not unusual for a king and his subordinates) but he never felt good about it and he cared deeply.
    And even while killing Corazon, DD never shows any kind of joy about it, he even asks why he has to force him to kill another family member, itīs just as a child, he has chosen to walk this path (even that is debatable since there is a clear influence by Trebol and the rest), so nothing can stop him from following it even further.
    BM is killing her own children and all they do is be fearful that even they themselves are not safe anymore, there is no remorse, nothing, no bad feelings.
    So Doflamingo's family is the one that's allowed to act twisted while the Charlottes can't? Rosinante also says that Doflamingo is lying about feeling unsettled by having to kill his brother. If anybody else was writing this series, I would think Doflamingo has complex character depth and empathy. Under Oda's pen, I think he's trying to insert how his villains are irredeemable as always. And Doflamingo was a bad apple from the start, Trebol and the others only made him a worse person.

    And they're still being fearful for the lives of their siblings, not just themselves. Not emoting
    They help out if they do not suffer negative effects from it. Zoro did not attack the Tenryuubito, like you said, because the guy was hurt but because he attacked him (and he did not even know that he is a Tenryuubito). Carrying a wounded guy to a hospital is not even remotely comparable to helping out now when they barely escaped with their lives. Heck, Luffy did not even want to safe the children for himself but because Chopper and Nami asked him to, they had a personal stake in it becuase "medicine and children". There is no situation like that here at all.
    That doesn't mean that they can't notice that the giant castle is going to fall on a city of civilians and either feel bad or wish they could do something about it. That's perfectly in character, even if they prioritize escaping. When Luffy heard Bege's backstory about decapitating animals and gangsters, he went "Wow, that's terrible." Luffy was also getting pissed off when he saw a Celestial Dragon abusing his slave and was forced to stay bowing down by Hachi.

    I got the impression from that encounter that Morgan does this pretty often. Whether he personally knew Stussy is a CP0 agent is secondary, Stussy needed a cover for the actions here and Morgan could provide it.
    I can agree with that.
    Last edited by Count Mario; July 13th, 2017 at 02:08 AM.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  12. #212

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    There's also nothing suggesting that they don't care about Cracker. They saw he was beaten, became shocked and outraged, and went out for revenge. I agree that there could be more done to make the Charlotte Family's bond feel like there was more frequent compassion between them, which I actually said in my reply to Daz since I do think we can get more from them to see how much they do care about each other. But I do think there's enough evidence to say that they do regardless. I liked seeing Brûlée care about her siblings and mother along with Katakuri saving a crying Galette.

    I'm talking about the Charlotte Family specifically, not Big Mom herself. If they cared about Moscato enough to frequently warn him to not try calming down Big Mom and feel fear, and then screamed that Big Mom killed her own son (or maybe some citizens said that), I don't see why they can't also feel some compassion towards other siblings like Cracker. The way that they did the body might seem cold, but that's probably because they're used to this and know that Moscato isn't truly dead in typical Oda fashion or have some way to help him, which we see revealed later (hence why Mont-d'Or emphasized that every second be picked up).


    Just because somebody doesn't outwardly show emotions in tense situations does not mean they don't care about other people, including their family. It only means their personality and composure is different, perhaps with a focus on remaining professional instead of breaking down. That's all. Saving Brûlée was a tactical move, but he recognized that she was forced to help the enemy. Not that this is compassion, but it helps show that they're level-headed comrades. Saving and telling Galette to calm down was to keep their focus on track and can be a hint of legitimate compassion. I don't see this as anything different from how calm and collected Zoro, Sanji, and Robin act most of the time like with Merry's funeral or Usopp leaving the crew. That doesn't mean they don't care about their respective families, it's just who they are as people. I'd expect characters like Batman to do the exact same thing with Justice League teammates that he is close to. Not showing emotion doesn't mean he doesn't value his friends or their lives. They're in a deadly situation and there's no time to be getting touchy-feely when there's a lot of work to do and every bit of attention is needed to turn the tides instead of acting hysterical.


    "What was her last words" sounded like panicking or a demand to me. It's weird, but I've seen lines like that in fictional series before. it fits in with One Piece. And Lola is a traitor because she ran out on a valuable marriage. That doesn't mean she is a bad person, but it also doesn't mean that it isn't understandable for Big Mom or the Charlotte Family to hold that against her from their unethical perspective. I never said that they were great ethical people. They're big time pirates. That doesn't mean that they don't care about people who are in their own ranks and loyal.


    Hence why I said "in her own special morbid and controlling way". I never said that Big Mom wasn't a terrible mother or that she doesn't use her children as tools to further her own goals if need be. Just that she can care about them to some degree.


    I do not see that line of thinking isn't just as twisted as hating traitors like Lola.


    They're a messed up and quirky (by One Piece standards) family. In a crew of pirates, an impulsive sociopathic child fits. They're all still kids. I never said it was normal, I only said that I can see this happening in a world like One Piece. Daifuku didn't try to kill Pudding either. He only knocked her aside after she failed her role in the plan and wasn't contributing to hitting Sanji. It's wrong and abusive, but that's not on the same level as trying to literally kill her. It's sibling fighting and abuse upped to shonen levels. The Charlotte Family is obviously not normal, but you can still see how dynamics between them work similar to a family in general, except in a pirate world where standards are darker.


    I agree, but I don't trust how Oda portrayed that moment with Baby-5 and how he usually characterizes his arc antagonists.


    So Doflamingo's family is the one that's allowed to act twisted while the Charlottes can't? Rosinante also says that Doflamingo is lying about feeling unsettled by having to kill his brother. If anybody else was writing this series, I would think Doflamingo has complex character depth and empathy. Under Oda's pen, I think he's trying to insert how his villains are irredeemable as always. And Doflamingo was a bad apple from the start, Trebol and the others only made him a worse person.

    And they're still being fearful for the lives of their siblings, not just themselves. Not emoting

    That doesn't mean that they can't notice that the giant castle is going to fall on a city of civilians and either feel bad or wish they could do something about it. That's perfectly in character, even if they prioritize escaping. When Luffy heard Bege's backstory about decapitating animals and gangsters, he went "Wow, that's terrible." Luffy was also getting pissed off when he saw a Celestial Dragon abusing his slave and was forced to stay bowing down by Hachi.


    I can agree with that.

    True, but if Oda wanted to show family bonds, he would have shown them caring about Cracker, thatīs the point. There was no need for Oda to show DD in his dark room being sad when he asks Vergo and Monet to die besides showing the inner workings of the family, or particularly how DD feels about the family.
    A scene like that here, and i would jump on the "BM family is a loving bunch" train, only that there is not one scene that articulates that.

    The thing is, trying to warn him in that situation is not really something extraordinary. Of course they do not want anybody to die they think do not deserve it, but nobody is really heartbroken when he is gone, after that itīs business as usual. I am not gonna fully claim thatīs the case 100%, since who knows, something might come up regarding the lifespans which makes a death not ultimate and absolute (it seems far-fetched but who knows) but nothing in or surrounding that scene had me like "wow, they care about him, it sucks that he died".

    But thatīs the problem Mario, you need to show something like this. Nothing says he needs to be all over her in this situation but even calm characters can show emotions and compassion, even if the degree is lower than other characters. There is nothing for Kata, his face is hiding behind his stupid scarf and he is an extremely stale character in that sense.
    Oda is pretty straightforward with his characterization really but there is nothing like that for Kata or any of the BM Pirates.

    Gotta consider the visuals as well. Nobody is affected in that scene besides surprise and anger regarding Lola, Bobbin does not even speak her name but simply calls her "little runaway" like itīs an insult.

    BM cares about them when they are useful, i think thatīs shown, like toys she can control but if a toy is broken, you throw it out.

    Twisted or not is not the issue. Of course it is twisted. But the difference is, for DD these were still a family, as long as it did not completely oppose him, he gave them their freedom and even tolerated failure because that was his crew. He does not punish Baby 5 and Buffalo for their failure but consoles them instead. These defining scenes are completely missing for the BM Pirates.
    And while the degree between the two families seem minuscule, the premise behind the two crews are different really.
    DD surrounded himself with a family that still served his purpose, BM surrounds herself with people that fulfill a purpose for her and it happens to be her biological family since she likes collecting different stuff, or you could say itīs likelier they fulfill their purpose because they are her biological family. Itīs like they are bred for a specific purpose, 1) having as many races as possible, 2) do something to advance her dream.

    No i mean the scene after he punches her away. Sanji jumps in to save Pudding from the genie, at least thatīs how i remember it but nevertheless, itīs still no normal thing at all, even among crewmates.

    I am not condoning what DD did or what he is, but the visuals speak for themselves. DD is angry and disappointed in that scene, he has no need to pretend because the entire crew was for killing Corazon, so he did not need to show them "i feel bad for killing a family member but i have to do it nevertheless". The same for the scene in his room, there is no reason why Oda drew this if thatīs not the intended message, meaning caring about the DD family members.


    The giant castle already fell and they did not give a fuck about it.

  13. #213
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    True, but if Oda wanted to show family bonds, he would have shown them caring about Cracker, thatīs the point. There was no need for Oda to show DD in his dark room being sad when he asks Vergo and Monet to die besides showing the inner workings of the family, or particularly how DD feels about the family.
    A scene like that here, and i would jump on the "BM family is a loving bunch" train, only that there is not one scene that articulates that.

    The thing is, trying to warn him in that situation is not really something extraordinary. Of course they do not want anybody to die they think do not deserve it, but nobody is really heartbroken when he is gone, after that itīs business as usual. I am not gonna fully claim thatīs the case 100%, since who knows, something might come up regarding the lifespans which makes a death not ultimate and absolute (it seems far-fetched but who knows) but nothing in or surrounding that scene had me like "wow, they care about him, it sucks that he died".

    But thatīs the problem Mario, you need to show something like this. Nothing says he needs to be all over her in this situation but even calm characters can show emotions and compassion, even if the degree is lower than other characters. There is nothing for Kata, his face is hiding behind his stupid scarf and he is an extremely stale character in that sense.
    Oda is pretty straightforward with his characterization really but there is nothing like that for Kata or any of the BM Pirates.

    Gotta consider the visuals as well. Nobody is affected in that scene besides surprise and anger regarding Lola, Bobbin does not even speak her name but simply calls her "little runaway" like itīs an insult.

    BM cares about them when they are useful, i think thatīs shown, like toys she can control but if a toy is broken, you throw it out.

    Twisted or not is not the issue. Of course it is twisted. But the difference is, for DD these were still a family, as long as it did not completely oppose him, he gave them their freedom and even tolerated failure because that was his crew. He does not punish Baby 5 and Buffalo for their failure but consoles them instead. These defining scenes are completely missing for the BM Pirates.
    And while the degree between the two families seem minuscule, the premise behind the two crews are different really.
    DD surrounded himself with a family that still served his purpose, BM surrounds herself with people that fulfill a purpose for her and it happens to be her biological family since she likes collecting different stuff, or you could say itīs likelier they fulfill their purpose because they are her biological family. Itīs like they are bred for a specific purpose, 1) having as many races as possible, 2) do something to advance her dream.
    Well after reading all of that, I can agree with everything you're saying. This really all goes back to my reply to Daz where I said I appreciated the compassion and sympathy respectively shown in Brûlée and Galette's panels in this chapter. Seeing Brûlée care about her family was nice and seeing a Big Mom Pirate emotionally vulnerable made them feel slightly more humanized and rounded out as a character (not by much at all, but a tiny bit). However, I didn't mean to blow that out of proportion to say we got memorable emotional scenes between this family. You are right that we really have nothing solid for the Big Mom Pirates truly caring about one another as people. I just wasn't a fan of how you worded that they didn't care about Cracker or rejoiced about Lola's death. I understand what you mean now and agree that Cracker is more about his status considering visual context and they don't have a good opinion of Lola (I don't think they specifically wish she died, but were still surprised nonetheless that a family member they knew died whether they cared about her or not), but I sincerely thought you weren't remembering things correctly.

    However, I do think that the groundwork is there for it. Focusing on everybody else aside from Big Mom, I don't think they're necessarily as bad for the sake of being bad as plenty of pirate crews in the past (barring Perospero's sadistic treatment of the Vinsmokes, but at least they're still bad people). Big Mom doesn't appreciate her children and uses them like tools, but I do think that there is room in the future to show that, yes, she does care about them at least to some degree and could learn a lesson or two on parenting. If the Cake Theory comes true, then that could be a good opportunity to finally show that. Whatever the case is, we do certainly need to see more to get a proper impression of them being able to care about each other.

    No i mean the scene after he punches her away. Sanji jumps in to save Pudding from the genie, at least thatīs how i remember it but nevertheless, itīs still no normal thing at all, even among crewmates.
    It's definitely bad, but I can still see how it can work in a "normal" family context. Not in a GOOD family context, but an abusive family context where they pride themselves in their roles in a "each family member is obligated to pitch in with this specific job because family comes before everything else or they're only a nuisance". Zoro and Sanji's bickering was an unfair comparison though, what Daifuku did was messed up. But messed up in a realistic family way. And by realistic, I mean how bad family relations can get in certain time periods or parts of the world. We've still seen way worse though. When it comes to your argument of how the Charlotte Family members don't really care about each other, yeah, I'm still pressed to agree with you.

    I am not condoning what DD did or what he is, but the visuals speak for themselves. DD is angry and disappointed in that scene, he has no need to pretend because the entire crew was for killing Corazon, so he did not need to show them "i feel bad for killing a family member but i have to do it nevertheless". The same for the scene in his room, there is no reason why Oda drew this if thatīs not the intended message, meaning caring about the DD family members.
    I interpreted the scene in Doflamingo's room as Doflamingo experiencing traumatic memories of what he suffered when being persecuted by island citizens and the life his father forced him to live through. Not actually regretting killing his father. There's even a graphic match segue between being tied up and about to be burned alive to waking up in his room with a cold sweat if I'm correct.

    The giant castle already fell and they did not give a fuck about it.
    And that's because of the awkward pacing skipping to the Straw Hats having already escaped to an area away from the cake. Daz is critiquing both the pacing and Oda not writing them having empathetic concerns about the situation instead of completely ignoring it like they did in this chapter. He sees that as being out of character, which I can agree with. But we never really see them aware of the cake on a collision course with the city below, so we don't even know if they willfully ignored the citizens' lives. It can leave an impression that they're still apathetic though, which can reasonably be taken to issue with.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  14. #214

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I can't really say why I feel like this, but I have a feeling that he might get captured by Stussy. Her role in the arc seems the most intriguing to me. And while I expect her presence to somehow tie into Big Mom's flashback, it would feel a bit wasteful to have her leave without anything seemingly being gained from being her besides maybe reporting that Big Mom's territory is now somewhat weakened. If Stussy kidnaps Caesar (I imagine it would go down in a similar way like Pekoms vs Caribou, or she just uses seastone cuffs if Oda's not in the mood to give females good combat showcasing against males as usual), then that puts him in the World Government/Marines' custody and can easily tie into Vegapunk and whatever arc he finally appears in. There's not really a point in having him stay with Big Mom since he won't be able to complete the Gigantification process. And while he does tie into the whole SMILE subplot, I can't really see what role he can play in Wano Country without maybe helping out against the chemical weapons the Beast Pirates have like on Zou.
    I wonder how much Stussy actually knows about Caesar's activities. If she is behind the Girls' Ship there's a good chance that these girls in fact are spies. So Stussy really might turn Caesar's life into hell - hopefully.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

  15. #215
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    I wonder how much Stussy actually knows about Caesar's activities. If she is behind the Girls' Ship there's a good chance that these girls in fact are spies. So Stussy really might turn Caesar's life into hell - hopefully.
    Okay, now I am fully on board with my theory. I didn't even think of that, and I've actually seen other people suggest that right after the chapter where Stussy was introduced!

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  16. #216

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    The "what were her last words" bubble clearly shows it is being screamed, not said calmly. It's pretty obvious by that panel they are concerned about her, Mont d'Or is drawn completely that way, you even have the two longnecks crying while screaming her name.

    As for Moscato, I am pretty sure I remember Mont d'Or ordering the black thingies to be extra sure they collected everything BM extracted from him, so the family not caring about his death seem unlikely.

    As for this chapter, we see Katakuri saving Galette, then telling her calmly to calm down (again, look at the bubble. It shows you if the character is screaming/being rude or speaking calmly. Katakuri is doing the latter) to which Galette answers with a confused "!?". Remember Katakuri can see the future and that Streussen acted just a few seconds after this scene and he telling Galette to stay calm seems more like he was reassuring her than anything else.


    Remember they are a family of pirates. They were born in a family of pirates and grew as such, they are pirates from the day they are born, don't expect Oda to show their bonds in a mellow way. We'll have to accept the small things as signs of bigger emotions.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; July 13th, 2017 at 04:10 AM.

  17. #217
    the answer is screaming zachri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In my body I hope

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Hidden:


    Best part of the chapter

  18. #218

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    The "what were her last words" bubble clearly shows it is being screamed, not said calmly. It's pretty obvious by that panel they are concerned about her, Mont d'Or is drawn completely that way, you even have the two longnecks crying while screaming her name.

    As for Moscato, I am pretty sure I remember Mont d'Or ordering the black thingies to be extra sure they collected everything BM extracted from him, so the family not caring about his death seem unlikely.

    As for this chapter, we see Katakuri saving Galette, then telling her calmly to calm down (again, look at the bubble. It shows you if the character is screaming/being rude or speaking calmly. Katakuri is doing the latter) to which Galette answers with a confused "!?". Remember Katakuri can see the future and that Streussen acted just a few seconds after this scene and he telling Galette to stay calm seems more like he was reassuring her than anything else.


    Remember they are a family of pirates. They were born in a family of pirates and grew as such, they are pirates from the day they are born, don't expect Oda to show their bonds in a mellow way. We'll have to accept the small things as signs of bigger emotions.
    Agree with everything you said, nicely put.



    Year of Sanji, let's go!

  19. #219
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    As for this chapter, we see Katakuri saving Galette, then telling her calmly to calm down (again, look at the bubble. It shows you if the character is screaming/being rude or speaking calmly. Katakuri is doing the latter) to which Galette answers with a confused "!?". Remember Katakuri can see the future and that Streussen acted just a few seconds after this scene and he telling Galette to stay calm seems more like he was reassuring her than anything else.
    I didn't think of that possibility. That's how I'll interpret the scene from now on.


    Remember they are a family of pirates. They were born in a family of pirates and grew as such, they are pirates from the day they are born, don't expect Oda to show their bonds in a mellow way. We'll have to accept the small things as signs of bigger emotions.
    I agree with this. And if Carmel did such a half-assed job in raising Linlin, then imagine how Linlin must have raised her kids. There aren't particularly strong/obvious moments of the Charlotte Family vividly caring about one another, but I reckon that is part of Oda's style of subverting our expectations with the finale of the arc in the same way as using the shock value of Big Mom "killing" her son to make her seem completely evil.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  20. #220
    Discovered Stowaway Torao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    People blame TOEI for the bad pacing of One Piece episodes...Wonder how the anime is gonna work with a castle falling for a whole chapter.
    probably the same way they handled zoro in midair for half an episode in dressrosa.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts