+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: One Piece 864: The Vinsmoke Family Slaughter Plot

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Default Re: One Piece 864: The Vinsmoke Family Slaughter Plot

• The official makes it clear that the "Magi" and "Giren" were part of the same attack: the former is translated as "Genie-uine..." (genuine), and the latter as "...Rage Split!", making the English attack name "Genie-uine Rage Split".
    Stephen is the translator this forum needs, but not the one that it deserves. That pun was more beautiful than the Beautiful Pirates.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    • Official English name of Daifuku's DF power: "Puff-Puff Fruit".
    So Daifukku is somewhat related to Puff Daddy?

Thanks BellisarioFaith

Discovered Stowaway

Thoughts.

Luffy and Jinbei's reaction to Brook breaking the photo reminds me of the Nintendo reaction shots lol.

Brook gag was funny.

Third son Daifuku vs Third son Sanji? Maybe this is what Oda is going for. Genie power is really strange to be honest. He's basically a Stand User. What's the relation between Daifuku and a genie?

Don't really care about Judge shedding tears, he deserves this and more to be honest.

And the funniest part/problem of the chapter.

Oven.

"Ah yes, Pedro I remember you. Let us engage in fisticuffs. Oh.. you're just going to leave.. Okay. Bye bye."

Honestly, what the hell.. You can't just say "I'll cook you to death." and then let someone walk away lmao.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Daifuku is a vape god.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by allbluebro View Post
    "You can see a bit into the future. That's all. But that ain't some special privilege. Everyone has an equal right to change the future!"- Bege

I have to admit his line sold me on this character. This whole arc made me grow really fond of him and also reminded me why Brook is one of my favorite SH's.

I find it amazing how much I enjoy Bege as a character. He felt always like the least interesting of the Supernova but man, did these last few chapters change my opinion on him!

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    The thing about the Reverie is that we don't know how long it ends. King Elizabello described it as a vacation, and the Reverie may actually last for several days instead of being a one-and-done conference.
    yeah, I'm too picturing The Reverie to last for 1 or 2 weeks, so they can discuss different stuff everyday, or due to some country leaders not getting well each other, make reunions for the ones that like each other, and others to fix stuff from the ones in war(or close to it).
    I'm not much into politics, but things like the Olympics or the World Cup Soccer taking longer than actual relevant stuff discussed in let's say the OTAN, or G20, or even the EU, this stuff goes up to months. So I'm pretty sure we're getting the beginning of The Reverie before Wano, to see how they all react at Kaido's beat down.

But the Grand Fleet is made up of recurring characters though, not just arc-exclusive characters. So Oda should go through a bit of effort to make most to the captains not look too flat. Not that they need to be as impressionable as Cavendish and Bartolomeo.
    Aaaaaand Sai!!, Don Sai!! his continent-splitting ability will come handy at the end

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Huh, I thought Dressrosa's ending was actually really strong. There were a lot of plotlines to resolve, but Oda put all the characters to good use and had a good culmination of all the Straw Hats' efforts with the formation of the Grand Fleet, while at the same time taking the time to hype up future plot elements. The only character arc that went out on a weak note to me was Bellamy's.
    Yeah but the thing with Bellamy is that he clearly will show up again...

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    I find it amazing how much I enjoy Bege as a character. He felt always like the least interesting of the Supernova but man, did these last few chapters change my opinion on him!
    Sehe das genau wie du... genau wie Urouge der bis zur erwähnung das er Snack besiegt hat nicht wirklich viel eindruck hinterlassen hat...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellamy_ View Post
    Sehe das genau wie du... genau wie Urouge der bis zur erwähnung das er Snack besiegt hat nicht wirklich viel eindruck hinterlassen hat...
    Dem kann ich nur zustimmen :)
    Seriously though, there's something about Bege's shit eating grin, he's got the perfect face for someone who looks like he'll fuck you over.

No Bege hype can beat the Urouge hype. Shun the none believers!
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    I'm not sure how much I agree with Oda having trouble with the New World arcs' endings. Of the four completed arcs, two of them (Punk Hazard and Zou) didn't really try to have big, climactic endings like Skypeia and such. They just ended setting up the next arcs, like Jaya and Water 7 did.

That just leaves Fishman Island and Dressrosa, and IMO Fishman Island's conclusion was mostly pretty good once the fighting stopped. Dressrosa was the only ending that felt relatively weak.
    Punk Hazard's ending had everyone of those apparently dead soldiers survive, and the children subplot felt undercooked, so it all kind of rubbed me off the wrong way.

And so far, some things in this arc feel undercooked too. I guess "bad endings" wasn't the right word. But I feel that Oda's current writing style isn't really for the best.
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    No Bege hype can beat the Urouge hype. Shun the none believers!
    Praise the mad monk!

The face of a Straw Hat.

Urouge is a god he's not out here playing pirate games.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Stephen is the translator this forum needs, but not the one that it deserves. That pun was more beautiful than the Beautiful Pirates.
    But he is the translator One Piece deserves. So many scanlators seem to miss that it's meant to be a funny goddamn comic. It's not a good enough treatment to just say "t/n: this was a really good pun in Japanese actually" and assume it carries the same tone as there actually being a pun there. If the fanmade works actually played around with different jokes and puns and things to replace the old material with there could be some actual point of comparison between the two. Instead, all that shit gets to be a T/N and Mangastream decides Dogtooth is the hill they want to die on instead.

I grew up reading Asterix. It was hilarious, full of puns and language gags on top of its physical and character driven comedy. I had no idea it had actually been translated from French until much, much later, and that's what was so great about that translation. So smooth to read you'd never even know it was one. They would add jokes and puns that only worked in English in places there were none before, to make up for the ones elsewhere that they couldn't translate, and because missing an opportunity to make a joke wouldn't be true to the spirit of the original. The text of Asterix was elegantly woven into a new language, and the new language and the text were made to work together. With manga scanlations in general (and even some official releases), the text and the new language are awkwardly hammered into each other, with a T/N reminding the reader that this story wasn't written for them, foreigner that they are, and they won't be allowed to pretend otherwise.

I understand there's a pretty big difference in translating between two western languages and going between east and west, because the languages are fundamentally less compatible. And I get that the higher number of cultural differences and the right to left way of reading will probably create a harder to ignore feeling of foreignness for the reader regardless of the dialogue's flow. And hell, my perception of Asterix's translation's quality is probably influenced heavily by nostalgia. But it's so rare to get that immersion in the Japanese comics I read so many of today, and I feel like that's a huge shame.

So yeah, points to Stephen for his willingness to play around with the joke and pun opportunities the source material offers, and the general high quality of his work. He is, by a wide margin, the best I've seen One Piece get in English.

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    • Official English name of Daifuku's DF power: "Puff-Puff Fruit". Like Jaimini's says, Oven's is the "Heat-Heat Fruit".
    Whatever happened to the info from the spoilers saying Hoya means lamp or lampshade? All translations covered that Daifuku is a lamp man, but were the spoilers for the fruit name a mistranslation?

the pun is that hoya-hoya means puffing
    but hoya means lamp
    like a genie lamp
    daifuku is the genie lamp

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

So does anyone here remember when I took major issue with Pudding's crying scene, and I specifically stated that no male villain character in One Piece would ever have a moment like that?

Well, I stand corrected.

Was a pretty good chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    the pun is that hoya-hoya means puffing
    but hoya means lamp
    like a genie lamp
    daifuku is the genie lamp
    So both meanings are actually right, but of course the interpreted interpretation of hoya hoya is as onomatopoeia, since that's the pattern of fruit names. And the double meaning of hoya as lamp is something that would just refuse to translate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylor View Post
    So does anyone here remember when I took major issue with Pudding's crying scene, and I specifically stated that no male villain character in One Piece would ever have a moment like that?

Well, I stand corrected.

It's almost like Oda scowers the threads of AP and spies on us sometimes.
    The face of a Straw Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylor View Post

Well, I stand corrected.

Pudding....She is currently in the best fight going on right now. The emotional struggle for preeminence over her conflicting feelings for Sanji. The spiritual blows of love and hate tearing her apart. She almost buckles from Sanji's penetrating words of wisdom but finesses those gruesome attacks and continues on the march for victory. This battle is so fierce even her THIRD EYE is tearing up. There is no turning back now boys!! I can't wait for the conclusion!

The translation of the cover page in full reads:

"Limited Cover Series, No. 23: The saga of the self-proclaimed Straw Hat Fleet Vol 1. "The Beautiful Pirates beautifully sail the beautiful seas""

See, I am not convinced that the fleet would go help the Straw Hats without them asking for them. Like Bartolomeo said: "...but we don't wanna interfere with the adventurin' of the gods!!" Just because the vivre card starts burning is not an indication for them to go sailing directly to Luffy, because their captain is trying to become pirate king, it is obvious he is not going to have the healthiest of vivre cards. That's why I think the call for help is key to their return. I would argue that them being presented in a cover story scratches off their chances to appear on Wano, but that is always debatable.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Highlights of this chapter: Crying Judge and bad-ass Bege.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information