+ Reply to Thread
Page 901 of 925 FirstFirst ... 401 801 851 891 899 900 901 902 903 911 ... LastLast
Results 18,001 to 18,020 of 18486

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

It's a relief that impeachment is finally starting, and these are certainly exciting times, however it's tough to be too glad about this until we see the next step. I don't believe in the whole "this is useless cause the Senate won't convict" idea, but a lot depends on what the House does next. I can only hope they bring everything to light, cause while this Ukraine thing is the easiest for the public to understand, there's also a ton of old dirt to dig up.

For me it's also nostalgic, cause I was a toddler during the Clinton impeachment. I remember the first day I heard "Bill Clinton was impeached" and wondering why he was still in office. I think only my Dad knew that the term meant, and frankly I wouldn't know know without that experience. I only hope the media educates people on this.

Oh, speaking of, New York Times has an article on how impeachment works. So, I guess that's a good sign.

Stage three: Bargaining

“The President actually said to Nancy Pelosi, ‘Hey, can we do something about this whistleblower complaint, can we work something out.’ And she said ‘Yes, you can tell your people to obey the law.’ So she quickly swatted that down."
    https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-...m_npd_ms_tw_ma
    Complicating things since 2009.

A little lengthy but this is pretty good catchup on some of the background.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-impea...nafort-1461143
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It would be nice if he did get impeached, I highly doubt it though

Does anyone else fear that if he is impeached but not removed it will only embolden and invigorate his cult? No?
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    Does anyone else fear that if he is impeached but not removed it will only embolden and invigorate his cult? No?
    Yes.

People are already comparing him to Jesus.
    https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article197962489.html/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioss mf

Because of course Jesus was a known and proud adulterer, who was twice divorced, and super rich. Very Jesus like that Trump fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    Yes.

People are already comparing him to Jesus.
    https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article197962489.html/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioss mf

Because of course Jesus was a known and proud adulterer, who was twice divorced, and super rich. Very Jesus like that Trump fellow.
    Jesus was an orange sexual predator as well, everyone knows this.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    It would be nice if he did get impeached, I highly doubt it though
    He is being impeached. That is officially started.

Being impeached is the process of discovery, not the actual removal. But if gives the dems a public platform to discuss the crimes without it being two talking heads yelling at each other, gets around some of the presidential protections and increasing the power of subpeonas, and increases the threat of jail time for disobeying.

Hopefully they follow through and the message is "we treated this lightly for the sake of the country and gave ya'll a chance to do the right thing up till now... now people start going to jail for not complying.

They have to, HAVE TO put the thumbtacks to the next person that disobeys them now. If they dont it'll be toothless and they'll just be ignored.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    He is being impeached. That is officially started.

Being impeached is the process of discovery, not the actual removal. But if gives the dems a public platform to discuss the crimes without it being two talking heads yelling at each other, gets around some of the presidential protections and increasing the power of subpeonas, and increases the threat of jail time for disobeying.

Hopefully they follow through and the message is "we treated this lightly for the sake of the country and gave ya'll a chance to do the right thing up till now... now people start going to jail for not complying.

They have to, HAVE TO put the thumbtacks to the next person that disobeys them now. If they dont it'll be toothless and they'll just be ignored.
    He won't be removed. If it goes to Senate trial, you need a 2/3rds majority to vote him out. Anyone see that many Republicans doing that?
    FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Very true. But also remember how much bullshit has happened in the Trump/Gulliani reactions to recent events.

Trump is unhinged.

Even if right now there isn't an indication of the Senate looking to stop sucking Trump off, the optimist in me hopes that both the coverage of Impeachment and for Trump specifically, knowing he will be one of the few Presidents to historically be impeached, will cause more outburst and moments of being unhinged. Things that may lead some of the GOP to make the completely selfish and self preserving choice to favor removing him from office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

They didn't have 67 peple ready to convict Nixon back in the day either. But as the facts about him kept coming out and the public opinion changed and his approvals plummeted, the republicans eventually switched to save their own hides.

Its more of a cult this time and Trump has done so, so many more crimes, but if the GOP wants to continue to even exist they'll have to draw a line somewhere.

We know where the republicans in Congress stand, but I'm most curious to see if this sways any of his supporters. He will have even more material now to complain about during his rallies. He will convince them he is the victim. Fox News will convince them he is the victim.

I'm not that familiar with Nixon but I doubt he had the same cult of personality going for him as Trump does. There was no twitter, no fox to spread his own version of events.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfWood37 View Post
    He won't be removed. If it goes to Senate trial, you need a 2/3rds majority to vote him out. Anyone see that many Republicans doing that?
    If I was a Republican, I would like to remove him and then run for the White House as the GOP candidate.

Another fun little fact is that impeachment requires a two-thirds majority of the members present, and that means that any Republican who is found to have had knowledge of Trump's actions can be made to recuse himself from the impeachment proceeding by calling him up as a witness during the House proceeding, and therefore the number required for conviction in the Senate falls below 67 votes.

I don't think teh dems will go that route because that WILL seem like a coup, but ya know....

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Another fun little fact is that impeachment requires a two-thirds majority of the members present, and that means that any Republican who is found to have had knowledge of Trump's actions can be made to recuse himself from the impeachment proceeding by calling him up as a witness during the House proceeding, and therefore the number required for conviction in the Senate falls below 67 votes.

I don't think teh dems will go that route because that WILL seem like a coup, but ya know....
    Yeah, that'd be like that recent stunt the GOP pulled in (I think) South Carolina where they overrode a gubernatorial veto because most of the (majority) Democrats were at 9/11 memorials, lowering the vote threshold.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Okay, I've been worried about the possibility of impeachment going wrong, and we're not out of the woods yet, but this is going hilariously so far:

White House Accidentally Emailed Ukraine Talking Points to Top Democrats

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

I feel like it's not being brought up enough that Ukraine's president is a former comedian who was most famous for playing the president of Ukraine on a comedy show.

Oh man. The memo, just the memo, has come out, and its baaaaad.

Media isn't sure what they're looking at yet, but every actual lawyer looking at it is saying its a baaaad time. "If the country was still sane, Trump would be planning his resignation today."

Trump is complaining to Zelensky that the relationship between the U.S. and Ukraine is "not reciprocal" because things are happening in the Ukraine that are "not good." As the call goes on, it's clear one of the not-good things is the lack of a Biden investigation.

By raising the Biden investigation and "reciprocity" in the same call, and raising both alongside a reference to how much aid the U.S. gives to Ukraine, Trump is saying that Ukraine owes a Biden investigation to the United States in recompense for U.S. aid to Ukraine.

Zelensky chooses to ignore Trump's comment and focus on another part of what Trump said, involving Germany. But he then raises the matter of getting Javelin missiles from the U.S.

Trump's *very first response* is to ask for a *new Ukrainian corruption investigation*.

This is, beyond a reasonable doubt, an illegal quid pro quo and a smoking gun national security offense, as well as a crime and impeachable. I don't know what the White House was *thinking* in implying yesterday that what we'd see would be otherwise. This is *bad*.

There are some very scary things in that call. Trump appears to issue a threat against America's own former ambassador to Ukraine. Zelensky implies he's willing to take evidence from Trump and insert it in his nation's corruption investigation of Biden. And much more.

Zelensky tries to score points by saying he stayed at a Trump property, which is *exactly* what the Emoluments Clause is intended to protect us against. Zelensky says Trump gave him some sort of covert, previously unknown warning about America's ambassador to Ukraine.

Last night, major-media and law enforcement analysts were saying there couldn't possibly be anything bad in this transcript or else Trump wouldn't be releasing it. Now, today, we're looking at this thing and it is *far worse* then I think anyone expected it would be.

Given that this is only an abbreviated transcript, I'm terrified to think what the rest of the conversation as heard on audiotape would reveal, and the notion this call is just one of a long series of events discussed in the whistleblower complaint Trump was blocking.

Let's be clear in saying this transcript contains evidence of multiple federal crimes, all of which are also impeachable high crimes and misdemeanors. In an America that still made sense, I'm saying to you seriously Trump would begin negotiating his resignation today.

Ryan Goodman (@rgoodlaw) writes, "DNI and [ICIG] 'each referred complaint for a possible criminal investigation into' Trump's actions but DOJ quickly declined (NYT)." But Barr was a witness in the potential criminal case, so he had *no business* making that decision.

If the New York Times is correct, Attorney General Bill Barr may also have committed a crime here, and there's literally no option right now but for a new Special Counsel to be appointed to investigate this rapidly expanding Trump-Ukraine scandal. This is *very* bad.

I'll admit that I woke up this morning thinking that we'd find little in the transcript, and would need to see the full whistleblower complaint to derive anything of value from this administration's new disclosures. Instead, everything is *way* worse than I imagined.

Giuliani admitted last night on FNC that he was working with Ukraine in his capacity as Trump's defense lawyer, but now that we know Trump told Zelensky that Giuliani would be working *with Barr*, it's clear the AG has indeed been acting as Trump's personal attorney.

I'm still waiting for anyone in major media to do the sort of deep dive on this transcript that's happening right now on this feed and elsewhere on social media. All I'm seeing are stories that report out the transcript as though we know nothing new from yesterday.

The good news is that the feeds I'm seeing that like this feed are authored by an attorney are coming to the exact same conclusions that this one is: this transcript is riddled with criminal evidence and bases for impeachment and a Special Counsel must be named. /end

Before this is over, I anticipate it will mirror the Russia scandal, and many will go back to those facts with fresh eyes.

Specifically, I'm thinking of suspicious firings that increasingly look like attempts to ensure Trump didn't get caught for what he did with Ukraine.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Oh man. The memo, just the memo, has come out, and its baaaaad.

Media isn't sure what they're looking at yet, but every actual lawyer looking at it is saying its a baaaad time. "If the country was still sane, Trump would be planning his resignation today."
    And this is the transcript the White House released willingly. Imagine what they're trying to hide.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

This kind of stuff is I thought was only possible in badly written fiction. Someone just spilling the beans for no apparent reason and so incompetent at hiding stuff it's a wonder how they got so far in life, especially becoming president. Most depressing part is all of this is out in plain sight and there are many people I know who ignore it or handwave it, but actual conspiracy theories about various Democratic lawmakers they believe no problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information