+ Reply to Thread
Page 251 of 929 FirstFirst ... 151 201 241 249 250 251 252 253 261 301 351 751 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 18580

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: The Art of the Fail

Amazing how that isn't obvious to some adults, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    In what way?
    Who labeled the third one anyway? It should be right up your alley. It's mostly making fun of white California style hippies, with it's real issue actually being about alt-medicine.
    It's just really bizarre that they put a race-themed standup routine right in the middle of an episode that had absolutely nothing to do with race. Outside of that segment, the show went out of its way to avoid discussing alternative medicines/treatments that weren't invented by white people in the US.

No seriously am I missing something here, or is one of those videos about sex ed....because none of them appear to be about sex ed.
    Two of the three clearly are. They "discuss" sexuality and various sex acts for educational purposes.

I was going to ask if Robo grew up in like Arkansas or something, and never had sex ed. But considering he's like....right across the Sound from me I'm going to have to just keep violently doing Jerry Seinfeld shrugs at the heavens above.
    I didn't have sex ed until college. Is that not the norm for most parts of America?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The episode wasn't even about *sex*, it was about *sexuality*. As well as personal preferences and rights.

They're different things and different lessons.
    Given the low quality of sex ed in many parts of America, I still think taking five seconds to encourage condom use would do a lot of good.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I didn't have sex ed until college. Is that not the norm for most parts of America?
    I could be wrong, but that sounds very, very weird to me. My first experience with sex education was in 7th grade, as part of my general science course - we touched on it twice over two semesters, learning first about human sexual anatomy and intercourse and then about sexual reproduction and mitosis/meiosis.

We learned about it again as part of a required biology course in high school, though this time we focused more on the science of cell division and gene inheritance.

Finally, I think that everyone in my high school was required to take one semester of health. And this class was overtly about sex education, we learned about abstinence, birth control, sexually transmitted infections/diseases, etc.

This was through the Maryland public school system. If you're truly from the (north)east coast, then I'm extremely surprised that you didn't have a similar experience in your basic education before college.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

I got a sex ed presentation in school in 5th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Now that you mention it, if I reach into the foggy recesses, I do seem to recall that there was one period of our science class in elementary school where we watched the miracle of childbirth video or some-such presentation.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

I remember being taught about wet dreams around 5th grade or so. Mostly because I didn't understand then what differentiated it from bedwetting.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Generally there's basic sex ed in elementary school, (Boys and girls are different) then detailed anatomy stuff in middle school, (here's a diagram of a cow head, also you're going through changes) and then sex related lessons in high school, (pregnancy is a bitch. Avoid it if you can) if not an entire semester based around health. Though even there they tend to have a "don't talk about condoms" policy because they seem to think teaching abstinence rather than safety is really the way to go.

It boggles my mind that it would be possible to have *zero* sex ed until college though.

That seems, frankly, unlikely.

Given the low quality of sex ed in many parts of America, I still think taking five seconds to encourage condom use would do a lot of good.
    I think taking five seconds to talk about how cool the Super Nintendo was would also have been appreciated.

But that wasn't the subject of the episode. If he was doing an episode about sex, sure. But it was an episode about SEXUAL SPECTRUM. Of which there are many myths, and discriminatory laws being passed over.

And the message was that's its okay to be gay or trans to be interested in butt stuff or whatever.

It wasn't about "and here is how a peener works."

They are DIFFERENT TOPICS.

It's just really bizarre that they put a race-themed standup routine right in the middle of an episode that had absolutely nothing to do with race.
    That last clip wasn't even from the same episode. That was the alternative medicine episode and not the sexual spectrum episode.

Regardless. He had a different writer (who happens to be a different ethnicity) stand up and deliver that segment. So it's probably... because that writer wanted to discuss the issue.

Oh and also, white People need to be told they're racist occasionally and making stupid white people assumption on things. And that includes medicine.. Not every single night like Larry Whilmore did, and maybe not always accusatory, but it is something that should be snuck into shows ocassionally.

Cause you know, it'd be nice if they spent five minutes discussing racial assumptions occasionally.
    Last edited by Robby; May 3rd, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

If nothing else there's your parents giving you The Talk

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

It's just really bizarre that they put a race-themed standup routine right in the middle of an episode that had absolutely nothing to do with race.
    Some people are able to laugh at a bit of "lol hippies" jokes framing the issue without losing track of the issue.
    Much as ice cream has nothing to do with sexual preferences.

the show went out of its way to avoid discussing alternative medicines/treatments that weren't invented by white people in the US.
    Literally the opposite is true.

Two of the three clearly are. They "discuss" sexuality and various sex acts for educational purposes.
    Ok so there's two different ways making what you're complaining about horrifically inane and confusing.

1. Sexuality is not sex itself. The ice cream one was about sexual preferences, and the second one was about gender identity. Neither was about literal sexual intercourse. And are very obviously aimed at audiences who are beyond Sex Ed 101.

2. Your entire complaint even ignoring that, only makes even the slightest sense in a universe where these videos are rendered the entire sexual education experience ever for a given high school student. A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos, in particular these exact two. You often complain in silly ways, but this time you're complaining in surreal almost avant-garde ways. Like David Lynch is guest directing your posts in this discussion.

3. That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Were you home schooled? Serious question. I don't care what kind of caveman sex ed they have in the midwest and south. You're on Long goddamned Island. Either you were homeschooled, went to some sort of really freaky private school, or ....I don't even know man. You live in a place visible from my exact municipality, there's no way things are that different from here.
    We got basic sex ed in late elementary school at a sort of gender segregated assembly or two, and increasingly more detailed and serious sex ed in middle school and into high school in the designated health classes alongside information about stuff like drugs, disorders, and depression and so on. Public school.

I have not stopped Jerry Seinfeld shrugging btw.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

THIS PERSON IS ALSO FROM LONG ISLAND.

Last edited by Monkey King; May 3rd, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

With all that's been said... it's true that I didn't actually have any formal education on sexuality until college, though. Which is awfully interesting to me, given that I think the concept should have been addressed much sooner (there's a lot about sexuality that doesn't have to be explicitly about sexual intercourse).

I think that maybe it might have been a topic of discussion in my high school health class, but it definitely wasn't something that was focused on.

The point stands, though, that sexuality and sexual intercourse really are two separate topics and a discussion of one does not by any means need to address the other simultaneously.

Yeah I got sex ed in 5th grade, and then a general health class which went over the same stuff in High School. And also from Long Island, so I can pretty safely say that you might have missed a certain day of elementary school.

It'd be pretty weird for Bill to be like "And that's how chromosomes work. Now here's how to put in a condom".

Robo, your complaint is pretty much like watching "Planet Earth" and complaining "Well yeah, they talked about those animals, but what about igneous rocks. Earth science students should learn about igneous rocks."

A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Mind if I sig this, Zephos?
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    I could be wrong, but that sounds very, very weird to me. My first experience with sex education was in 7th grade, as part of my general science course - we touched on it twice over two semesters, learning first about human sexual anatomy and intercourse and then about sexual reproduction and mitosis/meiosis.

We learned about it again as part of a required biology course in high school, though this time we focused more on the science of cell division and gene inheritance.

Finally, I think that everyone in my high school was required to take one semester of health. And this class was overtly about sex education, we learned about abstinence, birth control, sexually transmitted infections/diseases, etc.

This was through the Maryland public school system. If you're truly from the (north)east coast, then I'm extremely surprised that you didn't have a similar experience in your basic education before college.
    I did have a half-year general health class that extensively covered CPR and first aid, but never mentioned condom use or sex (unless I was out sick that day).

Edit: In 9th grade I lived in Brooklyn and went to a Catholic school where the science teacher showed us pictures of unborn fetuses, but never actually brought up abstinence. That's about as close to sex ed as things ever got.

Roboblue is one of the many reasons that intelligent extraterrestrials haven't made contact with us yet.
    Ben, quit insulting Robo just for the sake of insulting him. It's against the rules.

Argue against his stances and what he says, not who he is.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I specifically remember the 5th grade ones because I cluelessly walked in on the girl's one when my sister was having it so that I could tell my mom something, to a crowd of amused women and horrified girls.
    Suffice to say, I too was horrified when I later found out what I had walked in on lol.

I'm floored, honestly, that your high school health class didn't have discussions of sex every single day. I mean... we were a class of 20 rowdy high school kids that simply couldn't contain ourselves from shouting "scrotum" in the middle of class just to get everyone else giggling.

Same here; well, in the sense that it came up in 5th Grade anyway since we had an actual Sex Ed course and not just a presentation. I'm not certain what the current situation is (beyond the imbecilic abstinence only position) though since the complete takeover of the state by regressive idiots didn't take place until well after I finished school. They definitely do those programs by seventh and eighth grade though but I don't know how early they start.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Chiming in for variety's sake: I had sex ed twice in middle school and once in high school, plus assorted presentations. Sixth grade was "get ready for puberty, suckers" and covered anatomical differences plus simulated flour babies, eighth grade reiterated that stuff and added things on pregnancy, safe sex, and sexual harassment, and high school bio was almost purely myosis and the endocrine system(s) with only a few mentions of other things like condoms.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Ben, quit insulting Robo just for the sake of insulting him. It's against the rules.

Argue against his stances and what he says, not who he is.
    Granted, I'm one of the many reasons intelligent extraterrestrials haven't made contact with us yet, too.

God, that ben guy is such an asshole~

I'm floored, honestly, that your high school health class didn't have discussions of sex every single day. I mean... we were a class of 20 rowdy high school kids that simply couldn't contain ourselves from shouting "scrotum" in the middle of class just to get everyone else giggling.
    I subbed a group of 9th graders the other day. Who went from descriptive jokes about oral sex against eachother, to arguing very earnestly and scientifically about whether smoking can effect your "flavor", to getting excited about a Cars 3 trailer lol.

Literally the opposite is true.
    Did you watch the episode?

Ok so there's two different ways making what you're complaining about horrifically inane and confusing.

1. Sexuality is not sex itself. The ice cream one was about sexual preferences, and the second one was about gender identity. Neither was about literal sexual intercourse. And are very obviously aimed at audiences who are beyond Sex Ed 101.
    It's rated TV-14. They obviously wanted parents to use the show as an educational tool.

2. Your entire complaint even ignoring that, only makes even the slightest sense in a universe where these videos are rendered the entire sexual education experience ever for a given high school student. A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos, in particular these exact two. You often complain in silly ways, but this time you're complaining in surreal almost avant-garde ways. Like David Lynch is guest directing your posts in this discussion.
    Well, for me that would've been true.

Were you home schooled? Serious question. I don't care what kind of caveman sex ed they have in the midwest and south. You're on Long goddamned Island. Either you were homeschooled, went to some sort of really freaky private school, or ....I don't even know man. You live in a place visible from my exact municipality, there's no way things are that different from here.
    We got basic sex ed in late elementary school at a sort of gender segregated assembly or two, and increasingly more detailed and serious sex ed in middle school and into high school in the designated health classes alongside information about stuff like drugs, disorders, and depression and so on. Public school.
    No, I wasn't home schooled, but I did move around a lot as a kid.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information