+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 306

Thread: The One Piece Reread Discussion

  1. #1

    Default The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Recently I decided to start my xth reread of One Piece, but instead of powering through it like I usually do I decided to take my time reading it. Having only finished the 2nd volume, I feel that much discussion has been missed by those who weren't able to discuss the series from the start. So I thought perhaps it would be good to start a thread to discuss the series starting from its humble beginnings.

    Originally I was thinking of making a schedule of what parts to read and discuss in a group, but just reading the first two volumes made me decide that was a bad idea. Instead, we just start with the first chapter, and let the discussion flow naturally. We can talk about what we think about individual chapters, how we think they connect to later parts, if you feel certain events were wrapped up nicely later on in the series, etc. By starting from square one, we can find out each others favorite parts, and just get an overall feeling of about the manga. With that in mind.

    The first chapter is outstanding, especially in hindsight. It's does a good job of allowing the reader to connect to Luffy and Shanks, and you get a feel of how big the world might be, and the different people inhabiting it. The mayor doesn't mind Shanks crew, but he is a rare crew that doesn't rob people. You have the mountain bandits which we find out much later were the kind of people that took care of Luffy. We learn about the Devil Fruits which gets the readers excited to see what kind of other powers might exist in the world. A bigger part is that we get a mysterious part of Shanks, who scared off a giant fish with a stare (which we find out later is CoC). From what I read, it seemed like he didn't know how to use it quite yet. The chapter ends quite nicely with Luffy having learned to control his powers, and takes out the fish that almost killed him years before.

    One thing that I realized reading this time around is the similarity of the events that happened in Jaya. Both had a bar scene in which Shanks/Luffy get belittled and hit by a bottle of alcohol. They do nothing about it and just take it. Shanks/Luffy is only spurred into action when a friend was put in danger. They both have a big moment at the end by effortlessly taking down the thing that endangered their friend. It really shows how much Luffy came to be like Shanks.

    One other thing that felt like similar events showing characters growing was Luffy/Coby with Alvida then Shanks/Coby with Akainu. Luffy befriends Coby who was a coward, but gets a burst of strength to no longer grovel. At the end of Marineford, Coby stands up and proclaims that the fighting should stop, despite the threat of Akainu nearby. With Akainu, Coby seemed less frightened with his fate then with Alvida. However, like with Alvida, he gets saved at the last second, but by Shanks instead of Luffy.

    It's really cool to see some early stuff have some kind of comeback later on to show character growth. Also, lots of small moments in the beginning have more impact when you make those connections to later arcs.

  2. #2

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    This is an extremely cool idea, I've been meaning to give one piece another reread for sometime now without just blasting through it and skipping certain parts. I believe last time I ended up watching certain arcs rather than reading it, this time I want to do it authentically, and read every part strictly from the manga.

  3. #3
    Whirlwind of Cabbages Yobiyopi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    One other thing that felt like similar events showing characters growing was Luffy/Coby with Alvida then Shanks/Coby with Akainu. Luffy befriends Coby who was a coward, but gets a burst of strength to no longer grovel. At the end of Marineford, Coby stands up and proclaims that the fighting should stop, despite the threat of Akainu nearby. With Akainu, Coby seemed less frightened with his fate then with Alvida. However, like with Alvida, he gets saved at the last second, but by Shanks instead of Luffy.
    When i discovered that Coby stood up both times against his enemies by stating his beliefs, i was really moved by it, and i still consider Coby's speech at marineford one of the best moments ever. Naturally it's nearly impossible to remember such a thing if you read it weekly since chapter 1, or chapter 200, or many years before. Only when you re-read the confrontation between Coby and Alvida you remember that he did it too with Akainu (since it's the more memorable of the two), and i'm still amazed that Oda followed this development through more than 550 chapters.

    Another thing that i noticed only by re-reading, is the foreshadowing about the Sun pirates splitting that was fully explained only 600 chapters later.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    One thing that I realized reading this time around is the similarity of the events that happened in Jaya. Both had a bar scene in which Shanks/Luffy get belittled and hit by a bottle of alcohol. They do nothing about it and just take it. Shanks/Luffy is only spurred into action when a friend was put in danger. They both have a big moment at the end by effortlessly taking down the thing that endangered their friend. It really shows how much Luffy came to be like Shanks.
    In this context, the moment where Shanks says that he won't forgive anyone who messes around with his friends deserves a special mention. It is a very powerful moment establishing one of the leitmotifs of the series. And looking at Luffy's reaction you can see how it was a character defining moment for him. Just so awesome!

  5. #5

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Yobiyopi View Post
    When i discovered that Coby stood up both times against his enemies by stating his beliefs, i was really moved by it, and i still consider Coby's speech at marineford one of the best moments ever. Naturally it's nearly impossible to remember such a thing if you read it weekly since chapter 1, or chapter 200, or many years before. Only when you re-read the confrontation between Coby and Alvida you remember that he did it too with Akainu (since it's the more memorable of the two), and i'm still amazed that Oda followed this development through more than 550 chapters.

    Another thing that i noticed only by re-reading, is the foreshadowing about the Sun pirates splitting that was fully explained only 600 chapters later.
    I blasted through the Manga, so I did get to certain points with earlier chapters still fresh, but those smaller moments evaded me for the longest time. The Buggy stuff in volume two is actually quite good, especially when I take my time to read each chapter and appreciate those small moments. It really establishes the idea of personal treasures, and that many people have non gold treasures, which goes through the series. Despite being silly, Buggy managed to be shown as threatening and one you didn't want to mess with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholemew Bear View Post
    In this context, the moment where Shanks says that he won't forgive anyone who messes around with his friends deserves a special mention. It is a very powerful moment establishing one of the leitmotifs of the series. And looking at Luffy's reaction you can see how it was a character defining moment for him. Just so awesome!
    After rereading the first chapter this time, I won't ever dismiss it as just an opening chapter. It has a lot of relevance even this far into the series. It also makes you appreciate the few moments you get to see Shanks throughout the series, as you just want to see more of him.

  6. #6

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Funnilly enough, I found it the first chapters of One Piece and Boku no Hero Academia very similar.

  7. #7

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    I been buying the volumes little by little, I don't know when I'm going to catch up but I hope it's soon, I don't plan on reading them until then.

  8. #8
    ウサギ joekido the Second's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, my kind of place to be

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Funnilly enough, I found it the first chapters of One Piece and Boku no Hero Academia very similar.
    I probably would have taken interested in Boku no Hero Academia if it had taken place in a fictional world. Oh well
    Currently writing a book

    https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

  9. #9

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Speaking of things in the first volume, I find it really interesting how there's a marine mentioning pirates infiltrating their ranks. But then we never hear of such a thing ever again...until more than 700 chapters later with Vergo.

    Also Shellstown's characters imo show very much of how Oda remembers his universe. Side characters couldn't nearly get as much attention than in OP nowadays, but guys like Ripper and even Rokkaku (the one Morgan slashed down) are still to be seen in From the Decks of the World. I mean, they're so minor, you would never see them again in any other series I know.

    I also like how the scene in the first chapter, where Luffy sets off, has gained much more meaning with the stuff we learn much later in the story. We now know that Dadan was watching and what Luffy really thought during his setoff (about Sabo & Ace).


  10. #10

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    The introduction of Zoro really showed how factions don't matter when it comes to who is good and who is not. You have a bounty hunter who acts cold but is a nice person deep down, but a marine captain who is supposed to be on the good side abuses his status and cuts anyone down who dares not listen to him. I liked how before Zoro gets his supposed execution, we get a nice little backstory about him which while simple, has some nice depth. He never got to take on his rival and win, and he decides that he will honor her by becoming the best swordsman ever. This might be why Zoro gets really annoyed with Tashigi, that she looks like Kuina, but doesn't live up to what he imagined her becoming, so he looks down on her.

    The scene which Zoro cuts down Morgan while Luffy punches Helmeppo is a nice way of showing how they have each others backs, which comes up again in Thriller Bark (also in general how the crew has each others backs). Interestingly enough, Zoro claimed that if he ever doubted his chances of becoming the best swordsman, he would leave. In Thriller Bark, he was willing to risk his life to help Luffy. Shows that Zoro got beyond just his dream, and is willing to sacrifice himself for others.

    The best part of the little arc was how the Marines gave Luffy and Zoro a farewell and were willing to ignore Coby's connection to pirates. It was a nice little touch to give depth to a character that was only around for a few chapters with minimal lines. It once again reinforced that factions don't matter when it comes to who is good and who is bad. The punishment was a nice touch, showing that while they are lenient, they still have to follow the rules.

  11. #11
    potentially on hiatus Ordinary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    On hindsight, the chapters with Laboon and Crocus feel really weird. Like, it's so out of place, even 700000000 chapters later.

    Like, crocus lives on a boat inside laboon, and there's hallways and corridors and metal pipes running along Laboon's veins? Vivi's is totally different, and catching a whale for food seems like a completely unnecessary thing for Baroque works to do

  12. #12
    ウサギ joekido the Second's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, my kind of place to be

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    On hindsight, the chapters with Laboon and Crocus feel really weird. Like, it's so out of place, even 700000000 chapters later.

    Like, crocus lives on a boat inside laboon, and there's hallways and corridors and metal pipes running along Laboon's veins? Vivi's is totally different, and catching a whale for food seems like a completely unnecessary thing for Baroque works to do
    I guess Oda wanted to introduce Vivi at Reverse Mountain rather then wait until Whiskey Peak plus Oda felt that there should be an antigonist in this arc. And yeah the whole thing is out of place but what better idea can you do?
    Currently writing a book

    https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

  13. #13

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    The introduction of Zoro really showed how factions don't matter when it comes to who is good and who is not. You have a bounty hunter who acts cold but is a nice person deep down, but a marine captain who is supposed to be on the good side abuses his status and cuts anyone down who dares not listen to him. I liked how before Zoro gets his supposed execution, we get a nice little backstory about him which while simple, has some nice depth. He never got to take on his rival and win, and he decides that he will honor her by becoming the best swordsman ever. This might be why Zoro gets really annoyed with Tashigi, that she looks like Kuina, but doesn't live up to what he imagined her becoming, so he looks down on her.

    The scene which Zoro cuts down Morgan while Luffy punches Helmeppo is a nice way of showing how they have each others backs, which comes up again in Thriller Bark (also in general how the crew has each others backs). Interestingly enough, Zoro claimed that if he ever doubted his chances of becoming the best swordsman, he would leave. In Thriller Bark, he was willing to risk his life to help Luffy. Shows that Zoro got beyond just his dream, and is willing to sacrifice himself for others.

    The best part of the little arc was how the Marines gave Luffy and Zoro a farewell and were willing to ignore Coby's connection to pirates. It was a nice little touch to give depth to a character that was only around for a few chapters with minimal lines. It once again reinforced that factions don't matter when it comes to who is good and who is bad. The punishment was a nice touch, showing that while they are lenient, they still have to follow the rules.
    I did my re read last year but what I really enjoyed about this point in the story is how Luffy, an outlaw who's constantly under attack from the Marines and World Government who will become the King of The Pirates indirectly planted the seed (Coby) that's going to eventually reform the entire organization.
    Also I really enjoyed that Helmeppo was pretty terrible but not an evil person like his father.

  14. #14

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Very nice thread.

    I wonder when it "catches some flow" so there will be longer discussions on single subject.


    As for my exprience with re-reading - its far easier to do it with online scans. Reading volumes is far more awesome than online relases for a number of reasons(like reading hand written letter compared to email on pc screen- at least for me, a lot more details, great shading giving on paper feeling like drawings are more 3D than online cleaned scans) but at same time its not as easy to dig through them as when person checks online scans.

    Reading One Piece in volume format makes experience far better when it comes to pacing and enjoying art and Dressrosa is quite great in paper format but there isnt much of it in english translated volumes.

  15. #15

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by springsring View Post
    I did my re read last year but what I really enjoyed about this point in the story is how Luffy, an outlaw who's constantly under attack from the Marines and World Government who will become the King of The Pirates indirectly planted the seed (Coby) that's going to eventually reform the entire organization.
    Also I really enjoyed that Helmeppo was pretty terrible but not an evil person like his father.
    Interesting thought there. If Marineford is anything to go by, Luffy will have to fight Coby when the second war against the Marines happens. It will be interesting because we might see Coby conflicted to fight his friend, but determined to be a marine in order to reform it. Perhaps when Luffy becomes Pirate King, Coby will be high up in the ranks and work together with Luffy to keep order in the world. Both Pirates and Marines keep the bad apples away from the people.

    Quote Originally Posted by sabinis View Post
    Very nice thread.

    I wonder when it "catches some flow" so there will be longer discussions on single subject.


    As for my exprience with re-reading - its far easier to do it with online scans. Reading volumes is far more awesome than online relases for a number of reasons(like reading hand written letter compared to email on pc screen- at least for me, a lot more details, great shading giving on paper feeling like drawings are more 3D than online cleaned scans) but at same time its not as easy to dig through them as when person checks online scans.

    Reading One Piece in volume format makes experience far better when it comes to pacing and enjoying art and Dressrosa is quite great in paper format but there isnt much of it in english translated volumes.
    I do hope it catches on at some point. I really feel that it could bring some great discussions, many which I didn't get to have when reading through for the first time. Also, with a lot of the negativity with the current stuff, I felt bringing out this topic could allow others to remember times they liked and discuss why they got into the series.

    Reading in volume format is better overall. The only down side is like how I usually would read the volumes, in which I fly through a volume in a short time and not notice the details. Now having read the series weekly for a while now (about 5 years now), I have learned to take my time with each chapter. Enjoying a single chapter and being able to go straight to the next chapter to enjoy.

  16. #16
    Discovered Stowaway Atuin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Well I've watched the anime but I'm still very new to the Manga. I'm currently at Volume 15. So it would be nice to actually discuss the manga with people.

    Edit: Hmmm foreshadowing with Blackbeard on Drum Island
    Last edited by Atuin; April 19th, 2015 at 08:20 AM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Something I just thought of for Volume 2 with Nami. We see her tie up Luffy and take him to Buggy and pretends to join his crew. In this case she was using Luffy to sneak in, get the map, and then leave. We get something like this again later, where she temporarily joins someone else. In Skypea, she takes Enels offer to join him. In this case, Nami is doing it for pure survival instincts, as everyone was effortlessly taken out by Enel, so she stood no chance. Both times because of Luffy, she blows her cover and gets in danger herself for a bit. In both cases she also helps Luffy in some way. Tying up Buggy and helping Luffy get back up to Enels ship. In the latter case, she actively goes into danger, where as the former she just helps at the end.

    Another thing I noticed was the hand clap they gave each other when Nami decides to join Luffy for the time being. It reminded me the same thing when Luffy told Nami he would carry her up Drum Mountain to the witch doctor. It's like a secret hand shake they have, and shows that Nami is willing to go with Luffy's craziness.

    One other thing of note was Nami stating she only steals from Pirates. Two thoughts came up when she said that. One, after the Arlong Park stuff, she steals from everybody as she heads to the ship. It could symbolize the fact that she doesn't mind being a pirate, and that stealing from her home town is also a sign of affection. The other part was with Lola on Thriller Bark, where she gives a pirate some treasure. While a gag, it was some nice depth added to Nami that she gave a pirate treasure, instead of stealing.

    Volume 2 did a good job of introducing Nami, which would be really effective later for Arlong Park. It also once again reinforced the idea that the concept of good and bad is not clear cut, which expands more as time goes on in the series.

  18. #18
    Discovered Stowaway Riddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Gah, I just did a reread of the Manga last year Well, to be honest, I`m not the biggest fan of early One Piece. I think it takes Oda some time before he finds the right tone for his story. The jokes, for example, just don`t seem as funny yet for some reason, and the artwork, of course is not nearly as beautiful (Luffy`s face looks so weird at times) It`s hard to really pinpoint why I don`t enjoy it yet quite as much. That said, the very first chapter is brilliant and gets everything right. The major themes of One Piece are already there. Shanks and his crew are simply amazing and I love how they deal with the Mountain bandits. Shanks saving Luffy and sacrificing his arm is very moving, and when he puts the Strawhat on Luffys hat, it really feels like the dawn of a great adventure. Really a great start for the series. The rest of the early stuff is alright, but the arcs seem a little too simple and straightforward. What Oda excels at even this early on though is creating fun characters. Zoro, Coby, Nami, Buggy and of course Luffy take you in immediately. Rereading the very early arcs, it is interesting to watch Oda slowly come into his own. Both the Kuro and the Baratie arc are already more complex and interesting storywise, and at the time Luffy and co. arrive at Arlong Park, it has turned into the masterpiece we all know and love.

  19. #19

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    I am wanna do a re-read of the entire series but i'm just waiting for Dressrosa arc to end and for Powermanga to release the good translated scans so i can read all of Dressrosa arc in my marathon .

  20. #20
    Third Child Marauder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    South Blue (Chile)

    Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

    Well, after nine years of weekly lurking in this forum, I've decided to post

    Recently, I got my hands on the first boxset of the Viz version of the manga, and started re-reading it (just ended the Little Garden arc). So far it has been an interesting experience: there is a LOT of foreshadowing on the earlier volumes of OP, and it's nice to discover details previously missed by me (e.g. bounties dropping 30% if the wanted pirate is killed, or Miss Goldenweek not being an ability user). I've noticed many things that are worth re-discussing, but that would rush this thread, so I'll stick to the idea of starting with the first two volumes, for now.

    IMHO, every fan of the series should try the experience of a throughout re-reading. Its "taste" will be better.

    (Excuse me for any error in the text, english is not my mother language).


+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts