+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Piece Reread Discussion

Vanquishing Light The True Saviour's Avatar

Default Re: The One Piece Reread Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Boing View Post
    Reread it twice, still love it.
    Main problems are stil Rebecca/fights.Bellamy's goodbye imo.l
    Rebecca was my second favorite part of that arc. After king Riku. The only thing i didn't like about the arc is that it felt like too similar to alabasta. Which may have been on purpose don't know.

Brownbeard was also my favorite part of PH, just saying.

I was re-reading The Arabasta arc, and these panels gave me a Dejavu

I wonder if the similarities were intentional

Want to see the Colored Manga Chapters in English? Support Snir in his endeavor by DONATING: http://sniraharon.tumblr.com/

I just had a fun idea for anyone that decides to reread OP.

Once you actually catch up to this forum's existence, go back through the archives and read the discussions back from when each chapter was new.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post

Once you actually catch up to this forum's existence, go back through the archives and read the discussions back from when each chapter was new.
    I spent my entire summer doing that from the first archived chapter ( on the sea train? ) to chapter 605, gonna resume again later

Read the first ten pages of everything at minimum so probably read around 30-45,000 posts lol.

Impressions that stood out

A lot of people hated robin until the flashback

A small but vocal minority talked constant shit about usopp til the end of EL

Perona had her haters in spades
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Vanquishing Light The True Saviour's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post

I'm rereading the entire series right now so i'm going to be doing this, thanks.

I just finished the baratie saga and i have to say now i remember why Sanji was my favorite character up until the Whitebeard War. Now post TS Sanji isn't even in my top ten characters anymore. Franky is currently my favorite strawhat.

Rereading the whole series.
    I'm up to vol. 21 now, and after reading through Zoro's fight against Mr. 1, I came to the conclusion he used CoO and CoA against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    Rereading the whole series.
    I'm up to vol. 21 now, and after reading through Zoro's fight against Mr. 1, I came to the conclusion he used CoO and CoA against him.
    Yes it seems, that he realizes in this fight what CoO is with all this seeing/feeling of the environment. But he already used it when he fought Okta. Isn't the concept of haki that everyone has it to a certain amount?

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

So, I was researching about One Piece on a whim at the wiki when I noticed that an off paneled irrelevant island called Vira actually gets mentioned a couple of times in the manga in an interesting manner. I don't blame you if you have no idea what I'm talking about, but here are panels that I cropped out in which its mentioned in the manga.

It's first mention is during Chapter 96, when Nami is reading a newspaper and finds out about Luffy's first bounty:

Spoiler:

The second mention is when the Straw Hats get entrusted with Montblanc Norland's journal by Cricket, his descendant, during Jaya:

Spoiler:

My first thought about it being mentioned was that it perhaps related as a small world building reference to the Revolutionaries and how they liberate small countries. It would also fit well since it's first mentioned in Chapter 96, which is only a few chapters away from Dragon's introduction. And if so, this would be some pretty subtle foreshadowing and world building highly characteristic of Oda for their existence. And then I noticed that Oda was actually asked a question about if the two mentions of Vira were about the same island, and Oda confirmed it with this type of reply:

Spoiler:

So that pretty much confirms my suspicions. I did consider the possibility that maybe it was instead some sort of foreshadowing of Germa 66, since Sanji's past was first alluded to within a few chapters of the second Vira mention with Sanji mentioning that he's from North Blue despite joining the crew in East Blue, as well as the fact that both Norland and Germa 66 originate from North Blue as well. But the way that Oda said we would discover what Vira's coup would indicate in the "near future" makes me think he was most likely talking about when Dragon's identity was finally revealed at the end of the Water 7 saga, rather than Germa 66 with how they ended up being relevant about 600 chapters later lol.

All in all, it's a pretty cool to notice when Oda's writing has moments like this, as well as the fact that he remembers such seemingly random and irrelevant names way down the line in the series, especially with the recurring yet non-major Vice Admirals.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

So I was wondering about when exactly most of you guys caught up to the manga I joined at 795 so the very tail end of dressrosa and was wondering where you guys caught up and how that effect your view of certain arcs

I also have this poll http://www.strawpoll.me/11089036/r for collecting data about where people caught up, but I am interested in any actual discussions about it

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    So I was wondering about when exactly most of you guys caught up to the manga
    I also have this poll http://www.strawpoll.me/11089036/r for collecting data about where people caught up
    Actually RobZilla and Zephos made threads about it, but I think having a poll is a good idea.

Your duration as a One Piece fan
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=41054
    Post yer first weekly chapter you started following with
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=28761

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Actually RobZilla and Zephos made threads about it, but I think having a poll is a good idea.

Your duration as a One Piece fan
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=41054
    Post yer first weekly chapter you started following with
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=28761
    So sandman in that thread, it says you've followed the series from the very beginning....

I have some questions if you have some time, you dont have to answer them all, but Im really curious of your perspective.

1. We're you born in Japan and was it your first language?
    2. Did you here about one piece before the first issue or did you stumble onto it?
    3. Have you taken any big breaks from the series?
    4. What were 3 of the biggest twists storywise?
    5. What was the point were you were least interested in the story?
    6. Whats chapter of OP gave you the most joy after reading it?
    7. When did spoilers become a big part of the community?
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    We're you born in Japan and was it your first language?
    Yes
    Did you here about one piece before the first issue or did you stumble onto it?
    I started reading Weekly Shonen Jump in 1989 and stumbled onto Romance Dawn one day.
    Have you taken any big breaks from the series?
    No
    What were 3 of the biggest twists storywise?
    - Lucci, Kaku, Kalifa and Blueno turned out to be the members of CP9 in chapter 345 although I had been suspicious about Kaku since he defended WG in chapter 328 and 334.
    People on 2ch posted most on discussing Chapter 345 among all chapters in 2004.

- Ace's death. People on 2ch spent 39249 posts only on this chapter.
    - Ace turned out to be Roger's son.
    - Vivi turned out to be Princess. Even Oda had not intended it when she appeared for the first time.
    - Oda revealed in Jump Festa 2004 that one nakama would leave Straw Hats.

When did spoilers become a big part of the community?
    The first spoiler thread on 2ch was made in June 2002 when Gorousei were introduced for the first time.
    http://onepiece2ch.jp/100/part1.html

But I think it was around 2004 when spoiler threads became a big part of the community.

In the first spoiler thread, someone asked,
    4 名前: 名無しさんのレスが読めるのは2chだけ! 投稿日: 02/06/09 01:07 ID:f6WrRXxc
    ・ドンキホーテ・ドフラミンゴはD・フラミンゴなのか。
    ・バーソロミュー・くまというネーミングはどうなのか。
    ・シャンクスが白ひげへ派遣した使者は誰なのか。
    ・ラスボスは白ひげなのか。黒ひげなのか。海軍元帥なのか。五老星なのか。
    ・三大勢力は七武海以外の2つは何なのか。
    ・五老星はジジイだが、戦えるのか。
    ・ベラミーは本当に死んだのか。
    ・空島では誰と戦うのか。バトルなしでいくのか
    ・七武海の残り二人は誰なのか。
    ・七武海は補充されるのか。
    ・大物たちの懸賞金はどれくらいなのか。
    ・キャプテン・ジョンって誰だ。
    ・バギーはまだ1500万なのか。
    ・サーキースもうだめぽ
    Translation: Posted on June 9, 2002

- Is Doflamingo's name actually D Flamingo?
    - Who did Shanks send to Whitebeard?
    - Is final villain Whitebeard, Blackbeard, Fleet Admiral or Gorousei?
    - What are the 3 Great Powers other than Shichibukai?
    - Can Gorousei fight despite their age?
    - Did Bellamy die?
    - Who will Straw Hats fight against in Sky Island?
    - Who are the last 2 members of Shichibukai?
    - Will the vacancy of Shichibukai be filled?
    - What are the bounties of big shots?
    - Who is Captain John?
    - Is Buggy's bounty still 15 million berry?
    - It seems Sarkies is dead...

The first spoiler thread on 2ch was made in June 2002 when Gorousei were introduced for the first time.

But I think it was around 2004 when spoiler threads became a big part of the community.

In the first spoiler thread, someone asked,Translation: Posted on June 9, 2002

- Did Bellamy die?
    - Who is Captain John?
    I don't even.

Where they really expecting something to answer those?

Yes
    I started reading Weekly Shonen Jump in 1989 and stumbled onto Romance Dawn one day.
    No
    - Lucci, Kaku, Kalifa and Blueno turned out to be the members of CP9 in chapter 345 although I had been suspicious about Kaku since he defended WG in chapter 328 and 334.
    People on 2ch posted most on discussing Chapter 345 among all chapters in 2004.

- Ace's death. People on 2ch spent 39249 posts only on this chapter.
    - Ace turned out to be Roger's son.
    - Vivi turned out to be Princess. Even Oda had not intended it when she appeared for the first time.
    - Oda revealed in Jump Festa 2004 that one nakama would leave Straw Hats.

In the first spoiler thread, someone asked,Translation: Posted on June 9, 2002

- Did Bellamy die?
    - Who is Captain John?
    Thanks for all the answer sandman, looks like you've had 19 years of following One Piece, And Ive been doing it for A little over, 795 being my first. Hey at least you avoided all major spoilers basically. If you're starting the series, especially how a lot of people start with the anime, you almost need a person to guide you through things to avoid spoilers.

Ive been doing this with my younger sibling as we just finished Impel down and so far they've been unspoiled about the biggest things ( Robin, Cp9, sky island being the city of gold, the aokiji incident, the monkey family reveals, gear 2nd, franky joining, binks sake, the sabaody finale and seperation, luffy getting stomped by magellan, and currently they doesnt know anything about the huge events in marineford, despite the biggest issue of that being around for 6 years and everywhere in the anime community, which they are pretty limited to in general thankfully. In one month will get to those huge events and then I can breathe a bit easier haha.

Ive asked enough questions for now but I gotta say having someone who's been around since the beginning really is a nice perspective to see as there's no difference in feel between marathoning and weekly to you that can effect others. One of these days I would like to here about your favorite arcs since I imagine after 19 years there's gotta be some moments where you have a rebirth of passion into the series at certain times. Like Ive seen people mention Arlong, Davy Back, Sabaody, and Zou as such arcs.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I get the impression that this cover page is telling us that Luffy, just like Usopp, has somehow a "mask" helping him to overcome his fears/gain confidence. The mask being the straw hat.

I get the impression that this cover page is telling us that Luffy, just like Usopp, has somehow a "mask" helping him to overcome his fears/gain confidence. The mask being the straw hat.
    Or Oda wanted to draw focus to Robin and her associated memory people and away from Luffy.
    Luffy definitely doesn't have a "mask" lol. We're talking someone who doesn't think before he speaks here.

If you want a Luffy conspiracy theory, check the volume 26 cover where he's winking and wearing skypeia wings.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Or Oda wanted to draw focus to Robin and her associated memory people and away from Luffy.
    If that were the case he wouldn't had placed Luffy in the exact middle of the cover. Sogeking wouldn't be there either.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Luffy definitely doesn't have a "mask" lol. We're talking someone who doesn't think before he speaks here.
    What I mean is that the straw hat would be where Luffy stores his confidence. It's the thing that allows him to go further in achieving his goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If you want a Luffy conspiracy theory, check the volume 26 cover where he's winking and wearing skypeia wings.
    Yeah I noticed that a while ago. Theorists claim he's half-skypiean.

You can't use a hat as a mask, man.

Discovered Stowaway

What I mean is that the straw hat would be where Luffy stores his confidence. It's the thing that allows him to go further in achieving his goals.
    I disagree. Luffy has always come across as a bold and confident individual, even before he received the Strawhat. He even cut his face to show how strong he could be as a child. Maybe the Strawhat shows his ambition to meet with Shanks and fulfill the promise between them, but I feel Luffy is confident enough on his own.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information