+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Original Series Bojack Horseman

Default Re: Netflix Original Series Bojack Horseman

Yeah, I also don't see many similarities between the two seasons.

Spoiler:
    As I said before, the first season was to present BoJack being a complete jerk and ended with him realizing that. Until then he never noticed what a toxic person he was. Season 1 BoJack is a terrible person who doesn't even realize how terrible he is.

The second season was him dealing his this new self-image, accepting it and finally deciding to change at the season finale. Season 2 BoJack is someone who is suddenly aware of his flaws and is completely overwhelmed by this realization.

The third season has BoJack trying his best to change, he is trying to be nice to Todd (even though it's never his first reaction), be there for Princess Carolyn, trying to get close to Diane again... Season 3 BoJack is more optimistic than season 2 because he is actively trying to be a better person and you can see the results as his relationship with all those characters seem to improve and at the same time he is getting some recognition for "his" work.
    The focus of season 3, however, is that wanting to be a good person is not enough, you don't suddenly become a better person just because you are trying when you are inherently broken. In the end, BoJack fails. Despite trying to treat Todd with respect, he still doesn't give a fuck about his feelings and have sex with Emily even though he thought Todd had feelings for her. Despite trying to do the best for P.C., when their interests conflict he instantly dismisses her and condemn her to bankruptcy even though his career only exists until this day thanks to her. When he thinks the world is finally in love with him, he feels like he can treat Diane as shit because he suddenly is adored by many and she is just one in many now. At the end of the season, as Diane foresaw, there was no one to stop BoJack when he decided to kill himself.

Season 1 is BoJack suddenly realizing who he is. Season 2 is BoJack figuring out what do with this realization. Season 3 is BoJack doing something about it but failing hard.
    In a sense, season 3 was the opposite of 2. The latter started with BoJack being low, spiraling down and then starting to improve. The former started with him high, going to the highest and then falling to the lowest he ever was.

Just finished my binge of this wild ride that was S3 and wow, yeah, this might just be the best yet. Definitely weren't holding back with the gut punches at all this time around and the bold/experimental direction in some episodes managed to make things pretty interesting.

Spoiler:
    I liked how he spent a decent chunk of the season pining for a "legacy" without success, but in the final moments of the final episode we see that he indeed has one, in a sense, and there was a lot of great foreshadowing throughout the season for the reveal.

The ending was, well... very Bojack. I notice most of the animal people still retain a lot of the behavior and characteristics that you'd expect the animal to have, except for Bojack. A couple characters have kinda pointed this out before but I never thought about it too much until that ending scene where he's watching the other horse people run. Paired with all the particularly standout scenes of him with cars this season I feel like they were really pushing something metaphorically there.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    I thought Season 3 was fun and certainly adventurous, but the character development really sucked this season, and the whole thing felt like a pale imitation of Season 2. Sure, they played these big emotional scenes and had a lot of great jokes, but none of the characters tracked at all. Bojack was just whatever the story needed him to be and it never felt like he grew or developed at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven D. Teach View Post
    Dunno about that. I don't think not moving forward = no movement at all. lol, sorry if that was a lot. I agree that there is some going in circles there, but I thought I saw development in there is where I guess I'm going.
    Yeah I dunno... I felt like this was exactly what they were going for though. Like thematically, it seemed like one of the overarching things this time around. This whole season has characters simultaneously progressing and regressing until they seem to finally hit that moment of clarity.
    Spoiler:
    They got really in your face about it at the end with millionaire Todd, manager PC, and Diane. But I mean, a large part of things this season were about Bojack really recognizing and coming to terms with his own toxicity and actively moving to do something about it - throughout the season we see him attempt:
    • driving forward toward bigger and better things but falling flat.
    • accepting and embracing it, and just sitting in the metaphorical car but that makes things even worse.
    • going in reverse and attempting to re-do what worked in the past but that wasn't working either because he is no longer able see himself as a good person, that he seemingly can't escape from what he is.
    But at the very end it seems like he figured out he can just exit the vehicle.

I started Season 3 yesterday, I only seen the first 4 episodes of the season so far. It's been pretty great so far.

Spoiler:
    The entire flashback episode to 2007 episode was great. I really like how during that episode we saw the first meeting between Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane and how there relationship begins. Meow Meow Fuzzyface is becoming one of my favorite recurring characters in the series. My favorite episode of the season so far is the 4th episode with Bojack and the Seahorse. I just like the episode Bojack didn't talk much in the episode and it's just mostly music and sounds for the episode.

The new season of Bojack Horseman is coming out on September 8th.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/...-premiere-date

Finally! I've been needing some of that sweet existential nihilism in my life~
    I make silly pictures.
    Twitter
    Tumblr DeviantArt Instagram

Hollywoo, here we go!

Yessss. Time to hit all new feelings of misery.

Bojack Horseman Season 4 trailer is out.

Really excited for this, one of my current favorites.

Hidden:
    nooooo Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane why are you two fighting ;--;

Also, that's Charlotte's old cabin at the end right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    Hidden:
    nooooo Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane why are you two fighting ;--;

Also, that's Charlotte's old cabin at the end right?
    Spoiler:

It looks like it, but the mailbox also says "Sugarman" and Bojack's mom was the heiress of the Sugarman Sugarcube company.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Terrible idea to be binge watching now. Episode 6 of season 4 hit too close to home.

No regrets though. Finished it up.
    Last edited by Gizmo; September 8th, 2017 at 05:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Good it's not just me.

Spoiler:
    Episode 6 destroyed me.

I binged it all. Absolutely brilliant and haunting. The writing was really outstanding.

Finished here too. Outside of some minor gripes, this season is probably going to be my favorite. Season 2 and 3 were probably more consistently great but this season was definitely the most rawly emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    Finished here too. Outside of some minor gripes, this season is probably going to be my favorite. Season 2 and 3 were probably more consistently great but this season was definitely the most rawly emotional.
    Ep 11, as always was devastating, but I have very similar familial issues to Bojack so I'm not afraid to admit I cried.

I actually thought this season was the weakest. I'll write some full thoughts later, but my main gripe is that it went nowhere and said nothing.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I actually thought this season was the weakest. I'll write some full thoughts later, but my main gripe is that it went nowhere and said nothing.
    Don't mind your opinion as everyone has their taste and I never come down on shit like that, but can't help but think you missed a lot if you think it said "nothing". I thought this was the most message driven season. Guess it's better to address it in my own review than being a dick to you though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steven D. Teach View Post
    Don't mind your opinion as everyone has their taste and I never come down on shit like that, but can't help but think you missed a lot if you think it said "nothing". I thought this was the most message driven season. Guess it's better to address it in my own review than being a dick to you though lol
    Nah, was a little bit dicky of me to just come charging with the negative and little explanation, haha.

I'm really not sure what messages you could be talking about tho.

Spoiler:
    Episode 6 has some thoughts on depression and anxiety? That was a good ep, but it sorta stands by itself as maybe the strongest element in the season. Even then, I think it was a little unfocused of an ep and just has a good throughline and end that don't mesh all that well with the rest. I guess there was stuff about family, but did it really say anything about family? They kinda just gave us some set pieces like Bojack being a little uncharacteristically nice, which they were trying to connect to the mother plot, but that never really resonated with me. I don't think there was enough focus on Bojack's relationship with his mom, anyways, to justify that. You can say there were messages about marriage? Except the Caroline and Diane/Peanut Butter plots aren't connected or compared in any real way, and something only really happens with the latter at the very end of the season, left to be explored in the next one.

I think anything that could be said on any of those topics also gets undermined by the return to status quo. The depression and anxiety stuff is kinda standard Bojack, the family relationships all sorta reset by the end, and the romantic ones leave Caroline single again and Diane and Peanut Butter in marital strife, both of which are things we've seen before.

I guess I'm really just annoyed by the status quo and the continued ultimate safeness of the show. As much as it lampoons old school sitcoms, at its core it isn't much better.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Nah, was a little bit dicky of me to just come charging with the negative and little explanation, haha.

I'm really not sure what messages you could be talking about tho.

Spoiler:
    Episode 6 has some thoughts on depression and anxiety? That was a good ep, but it sorta stands by itself as maybe the strongest element in the season. Even then, I think it was a little unfocused of an ep and just has a good throughline and end that don't mesh all that well with the rest. I guess there was stuff about family, but did it really say anything about family? They kinda just gave us some set pieces like Bojack being a little uncharacteristically nice, which they were trying to connect to the mother plot, but that never really resonated with me. I don't think there was enough focus on Bojack's relationship with his mom, anyways, to justify that. You can say there were messages about marriage? Except the Caroline and Diane/Peanut Butter plots aren't connected or compared in any real way, and something only really happens with the latter at the very end of the season, left to be explored in the next one.

I think anything that could be said on any of those topics also gets undermined by the return to status quo. The depression and anxiety stuff is kinda standard Bojack, the family relationships all sorta reset by the end, and the romantic ones leave Caroline single again and Diane and Peanut Butter in marital strife, both of which are things we've seen before.

I guess I'm really just annoyed by the status quo and the continued ultimate safeness of the show. As much as it lampoons old school sitcoms, at its core it isn't much better.
    No worries, I didn't mean to come across as "you watched it wrong" or anything elitist like that. I just feel there's clear messages and character development. I'll write a more in depth explanation tomorrow, kinda chasing my own depression down a bottle now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information