+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Overwatch

Default Re: Overwatch

Holy hell this game is fun!

I'm in the weekend stress test and am having a blast. It's like Team Fortress 2 but with a shit ton more wacky diversity in character stuff.

Anybody else playing?

LOVE AND PEACE

Oh wow, I wasn't even aware a stress test was happening. Thanks for the post.

Been wanting to play this since it was announced, so I'm installing it now.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

I've never been interested in any FPS, but the open beta has me convinced! Day one purchase for me.

Just downloaded the Beta and I like it so far, will definitely be getting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that I'll be getting it right now, I had some fun, but I'm pretty bad at it, and my friends won't play with me.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Awww.. Progression won't stick, so my 7 levels and 2 skins will go away once it's over. Oh well.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Awww.. Progression won't stick, so my 7 levels and 2 skins will go away once it's over. Oh well.
    Aha? Where did you read this?

Bunch of faqs around.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overw...ic/20743704899
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Ohh that sucks but it is understandable, everybody should be on equal grounds, sort of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's also the sheer fact that its a beta. They'll be looking at the win/loss records and tweaking characters for balance accordingly.

Bastion is almost certainly going to need a little nerfing, the sheer firepower he gets from switching to stationary mode is way overpowered compared to that loss of movement... especially when doing defense on a base.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    There's also the sheer fact that its a beta. They'll be looking at the win/loss records and tweaking characters for balance accordingly.

Bastion is almost certainly going to need a little nerfing, the sheer firepower he gets from switching to stationary mode is way overpowered compared to that loss of movement... especially when doing defense on a base.
    I haven't had that experience personally, because there's a lot of specific tactics that can destroy a stationary Bastion that a lot of bastion players don't quite know. For example, Genji can deflect all of Bastions bullets right back at him and decimate him instantly, which bastion can't really do anything against. Like, your only operation at that point is to...leave, or wait on team mate support.

Overall the game seems mega balanced which I think is mega cool The actual only character who seems genuinely doesn't have drawbacks is... Roadhog?! His worst asset is his reload/lack of bullets, but otherwise he's just a very fine all around character for his class. I think we'll have to wait that first month for all the hyper competitive people to really scope out what can and can't be dealt with. I'm sure there will be surprises.

Also I've been playing 99% exclusively as Mercy and it's been a blast... SHe's just so very satisfying.

I haven't played too much, but that was my general experience. If there's actual counters to him that's fine then.

I just wish it was more TPS than FPS. I know I know, FPS is better for precise aiming, and TPS gives too much advantage for peaking around walls and seeing behind you, (and PC players with a mouse are way better than anyone with a controller) but when there's this many characters with movement and positioning things it's just kinda weird to me.

But then I know other people have been playing FPS for decades and know what they're about, so I'll just have to trust that judgement. But overall I don't think Overwatch (Or Battleborn for that matter) is for me. WHich sucks cause I like the bright colors and characters and other people are having a lot of fun, but... oh well, that's just a me thing. I also have problems with Mirror's Edge and Portal due to motion sickness.

(And I played penty of Goldeneye back in the day and countless hours on ME3's multiplayer, so its not just an inherant dislike of shooters.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

That's okay! It's like... A competitive oriented game, one of those that feels designed for inevitable esports, and if I didn't always have five other friends to play with I probably wouldn't do it at all. It's hard to coordinate stuff like this with randos. When everyone in the call is always talking about what they're up to, it's much easier to feel comfy about it.

Some characters like Tracer or Winston don't need to worry since they're just intended to disrupt and harass people and can be semi-solo at times, and some characters like Mercy have actual visible UI promts that tell you where party members are or who needs healing (in fact this makes her by far the most accessible and fun healer I've ever played in something like this). There's so many different playstyles one of them might help you feel more like you have control over what you're doing and have more awareness on what's needed for your specific positioning.

But also like also. DOn't worry too much if you're just not having fun, thankfully it's a free beta!

Especially with Paragon coming (which is third person) and Paladins (which is free and from the Smite people) and who knows whatever else... there's more like it on the horizon.

And eventually in a year or two, Mass Effect 4 I guess.

Glad people are having fun with it though, it looks cool.

But yes, probably much better coordinating and building teams with actual friends than just randoms. I did like the healers quite a bit though.

I managed to play around 20 hours of the beta in those last days and the game is great! Too bad the dollar exchange rate is so high here and Blizzard is charging even more (it would cost 140, but Blizzard is charging 160 for it on Brazil), so it'll take a while until I get to play it again.

But I feel the heroes are balanced, they would need to just make some tweaks here and there. One thing that bothers me is the fact that some combinations are way too overpowered. I lost a match against 3 Mei, Lucio, Reinhardt and Hanzo and it wasn't that fun. I won a match playing as McCree with another two McCrees and we obliterated the other team. I wonder if Blizzard will end limiting heroes picks to one of each in competitive mode.

Also, I played it so much that I'm having trouble to go back to CS:GO.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I haven't played too much, but that was my general experience. If there's actual counters to him that's fine then.

I just wish it was more TPS than FPS. I know I know, FPS is better for precise aiming, and TPS gives too much advantage for peaking around walls and seeing behind you, (and PC players with a mouse are way better than anyone with a controller) but when there's this many characters with movement and positioning things it's just kinda weird to me.

But then I know other people have been playing FPS for decades and know what they're about, so I'll just have to trust that judgement. But overall I don't think Overwatch (Or Battleborn for that matter) is for me. WHich sucks cause I like the bright colors and characters and other people are having a lot of fun, but... oh well, that's just a me thing. I also have problems with Mirror's Edge and Portal due to motion sickness.

(And I played penty of Goldeneye back in the day and countless hours on ME3's multiplayer, so its not just an inherant dislike of shooters.)
    I'm in the same boat. I can't stand FPS, I just don't enjoy them. Yet I love this world. I put money down so I could try out the beta, but I don't see myself actually having fun playing this game. It's such a shame, but I can't shake the feeling that these characters are wasted on what amounts to "random characters shoot at each other endlessly". I'd much rather there be some kind of actual story going on here. I had fun with Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but that's because it revolved around a whole other game I cared about. (and wasn't First Person).
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Yeah, I think Mass Effect struck a really good balance. It kept the camera just behind your shoulder, so you could make sense of positioning and movement, and still see your (customized!) character and where they're going and duck behind objects, but the camera wasn't so far back that you could see behind your or lose the elements of a shooter... (I think the key is the camera moves with whatever direction you're facing, rather than being rotatable around... Smite does the same thing) and you could focus aim with zooms and scopes and whatnot for when you do want the precision. I think it's a pretty good middleground and I don't know why more games don't go for it. I also really liked how the waves in ME worked. It wasn't infinite respawns, but pick your teammates back up, and it was always against computer so there was never any suffering against a human player that just had way better gear than you.

Lots of little things added up that I really liked. (and I guess having a connection to the races and power types from the story mode helped.)

Dunno why I was so okay with Goldeneye and Timesplitters back in the day. Maybe because it was so early on, or the graphics were chunky enough the movement didn't bother me... or they were designed for consoles rather than PC... or because it was almost always played in four player split screens. Something.

I get terribly nauseous with perfect dark, but overwatch didn't bother me at all. I dunno, maybe is that with PC I feel more in control of the camera and I don't fall prey to nausea.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    It's such a shame, but I can't shake the feeling that these characters are wasted on what amounts to "random characters shoot at each other endlessly".
    There are going to be comics and animated shorts and stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    It's such a shame, but I can't shake the feeling that these characters are wasted on what amounts to "random characters shoot at each other endlessly".
    Ehh I feel like it's the complete opposite in my opinion. If these characters weren't in it, it's like. Where's the draw. First person shooters aren't much in the field of having personality, so a competitive game where you genuinely care about the characters adds a ton to the experience so putting such a beautiful coating on what's mechanically a very solid game just increases its appeal. What game would you do with this cast? An RPG? There's tons of RPGs already with better casts and storylines than Street Fighter Stereotypes With Guns.

The fact that a strictly non-campaign multiplayer game has a great cast is nothing but like, added benefit with no drawbacks whatsoever. A lot of people would play Overwatch entirely because of the characters, whereas they'd never play it otherwise.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; May 9th, 2016 at 02:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information