+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Oda Reveals What the One Piece Isn't

Default Oda Reveals What the One Piece Isn't

While at a dinner party with Oda, his family, and his former editor, Momoko Sakura, author of the series Chibi Maruko-chan, asked Oda if he had the ending to the series already planned out.

The conversation can be found here: http://onepiecepodcast.com/2014/07/2...ne-piece-isnt/

Spoiler:
    Oda: Yes, I already decided on how it’s going to end. Should I tell you now?
    Sakura: …. Well, I want to know, but I probably shouldn’t. BUT, the One Piece, it’s not something like “the growth your heart went through”, right?
    Oda: Hahaha, no no, I won’t be pulling off some kind of Wizard of Oz thing like that. After having gone through an adventure like that, it wouldn’t be fair to not actually give them a reward.

Now we know for certain it's some kind of actual reward, and not just ~*the bonds you've formed with your nakama over the course of this journey*~. Thank you based Oda.

Default Re: Oda Reveals What the One Piece Isn't

Well at least we now know that the "journey itself and the friends you've made" isn't one piece.

With the "inherited will" theory I don't even need those kind of interviews. That theory is almost a fact.

Well, that's those theories put down. Now to wait 10 years to find out what it actually is.

No one should have entertained those sort of theories to begin with lol.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Dahaka. View Post
    With the "inherited will" theory I don't even need those kind of interviews. That theory is almost a fact.
    And that theory is what? That terrible garbage about the whole point of the journey being destroying Red Line lol?

Good to know! I was a little worried there for the last 12 years, lol.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Sweet, sweet victory.
    This makes me very happy.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Anyone who thought the One Piece was some intangible "adventure and friendship" malarkey must have skipped over Marineford.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Anyone who thought the One Piece was some intangible "adventure and friendship" malarkey must have skipped over Marineford.
    The people who thought that were if anything still operating under a mindset of the first couple of volumes, and had simple stupidly refused to evolve their perception of the series.

They're like people still expecting Darth Vader to a be a cartoony pure evil robot man before watching Return of the Jedi, even after watching Empire Strikes Back lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    The people who thought that were if anything still operating under a mindset of the first couple of volumes, and had simple stupidly refused to evolve their perception of the series.

They're like people still expecting Darth Vader to a be a cartoony pure evil robot man before watching Return of the Jedi, even after watching Empire Strikes Back lol.
    I still think Guile = Magus

As long as it doesn't turn out to be a garage sale at full discounts either, I'm down with that. Then again, if Roger collected so many things along his journey, I doubt he'd have all that junk organized.

And even then, he'd still find some way to troll his visitors. I feel it in my gut.
    Avatar by しろくま on Pixiv; Compass Birds pic trimmed by yours truly ->

Thank goodness this is a relief.
    I need a sig

Everyone knows One Piece is a one piece bathing suit.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Oda was going to have "the journey itself" as the One Piece but then he saw the first movie and thought, "Shit, now I'll have to change it to something actually interesting."

3DS FC: 0619-3258-8245

What mindset of the first couple of volumes? That treasure is not only money, gold, ...? That mindset doesn't removes that kind of treasure and even when it wasn't money it was still something palpable not some abstract thing like bonds and friendship. And those treasures had to do with personal valuable things to his owner.
    It would be strange if Gol D. Roger, a pirate with wealth(probably the wealthier pirate in the world, given that he was the most powerful and famous), sent a lot of people finding One Piece when the only thing there, was his personal valued treasures. And it would be retarded if it was bonds and friendship and destroying the Redline(who was the person that not only thought about that but also thought that destroying the redline was a good idea as a treasure?).

I'm still in the belief that One Piece is a collection of Treasure. Including the valuable to the masses: gold, diamonds, money, ... And the personal findings and valuables of his adventures, the Poneglyth being included in those. His ship, the Oro Jackson, would be cool as well if included.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Substance abuse is a funny thing.....at least in this instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I expect something similar to Treasure Planet but without the lava trap.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

There was no way in hell that Luffy was going to lose his brother (and eventually, his mentor) over a really stupid I HOPE U ENJOYED THE ADVENTURE :-) message. Now it's concrete.

And that theory is what? That terrible garbage about the whole point of the journey being destroying Red Line lol?
    It's about acquiring the ultimate freedom which is what Luffy aims at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigivel View Post
    What mindset of the first couple of volumes? That treasure is not only money, gold, ...? That mindset doesn't removes that kind of treasure and even when it wasn't money it was still something palpable not some abstract thing like bonds and friendship. And those treasures had to do with personal valuable things to his owner.
    An early One Piece mindset that One Piece didn't have a massive semi-complicated meta-plot involving ancient histories, government conspiracies, passed down bloodlines, and all those things.
    That it was just a really simple straightforward pirate adventure with little gravity behind it's quest. Because only in a story like that could some dumbed down fortune cookie bullshit remotely even fit as the big reveal. Not that it wouldn't have sucked still, but it requires being willfully dense to think something that cliche and pointless is what all these endless sub-lots and plot lines are leading up to. It requires ignoring all of them.
    It would be strange if Gol D. Roger, a pirate with wealth(probably the wealthier pirate in the world, given that he was the most powerful and famous), sent a lot of people finding One Piece when the only thing there, was his personal valued treasures. And it would be retarded if it was bonds and friendship and destroying the Redline(who was the person that not only thought about that but also thought that destroying the redline was a good idea as a treasure?).
    So it sounds like we're in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahaka. View Post
    It's about acquiring the ultimate freedom which is what Luffy aims at.
    No that's what Luffy thinks makes the Pirate King. That is not the same thing as the identity of the One Piece.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information