+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 177 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 162 163 164 165 166 174 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 3535

Thread: General Zelda thread

Default Re: General Zelda thread

So far I love everything about this game, but if I had to make a critique I would agree that:

1. It's a silly oversight that you cannot use fists/kicks/grapples when out of weapons
    2. A few of the more difficult shrines had really lackluster rewards compared to others
    3. When I just want to run around looking cool I don't want to worry about my weapon breaking

I'd say a way to enchant weapons to prolong their durability, or to allow for you to repair them yourself with the right tools if they are low on durability, would be welcome adjustments. The risk of a weapon breaking and the requirement to plan accordingly would still remain, but before the item breaks you could swap it out and then repair after the battle, or make it last longer if you meet the right requirements (ie: enchanting). Beyond that I spend my korok seeds on weapon slots because bows/shields so far last long enough for me to not require their extra slots, so I typically have two "disposable" weapons to get me through most situations, and if those fail and I can't steal the opponents' weapon then I fall back to my more powerful "I don't want to use this unless I need to" weapons. Mostly though I like using boomerangs from time to time and I need room to keep one or two in my inventory, but still have other practical weapons and/or a leaf.

I'm not very far in the game, plot wise, but I've poured hours into exploring since getting the game Friday. Really, really, really satisfied with the purchase.

The hateno village house quest is a very neat money sink.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Breath of the Wild is the first Zelda game since Adventure of Link that doesn't outright hand you enough rupees to buy everything and then some! :)

You know, I'd really think that I'd be bothered by the weapon durability system, but at the end of the day, I can't say I've even thought much of it. Like for some reason it doesn't even annoy me. I don't stress too much about weapons breaking.

On first thought I'd agree with Jimquisition here, but after playing them game I agree more with Arlo. This is very odd. lol. It's just that the game has implemented it in a way that I'm not bothered.

I love the Weapon Fragility System and Inventory Limitations because in Breath of the Wild being efficient is the name of the game. This game seems to be all about making calls and rewarding or punishing you on them. No more of handing Link one sword and a shield and for the most part you can just charge into enemy mobs with no real consequences.

Personally I'm at the point where discussing this game with people is making me hate it, so I'll probably just stop doing so. The climate on the internet and everywhere as a whole right now is that everyone loves the game and it is the best thing ever and if you didn't like anything you're playing the game wrong or just hate it.

Just played BotW (and 1, 2, Switch) while one of my friends was at my house. I may not have been able to play through most of the game (mostly near the beginning aka: the first two shrines), but what I did play, I was blown away. The scope of the world is one of those examples, knowing you could go anywhere, climb any mountain, fight any enemy. Another is the art style, gives me a Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword hybrid vibe.

As for weapon endurance, I just hoarded anything I could hit a Bokoblin with, so I didn't mind. Although, I could see how this mechanic would turn-off a healthy amount of people with the bigger, tougher threats in having to choose whether or not to be willing to dull your stronger tools of war. Or, you could just find the Master Sword, I'm pretty sure that doesn't break.

I definitely want me a Switch now.
    The face of a Straw Hat.

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

Main story-wise, I just have Ganon left, but I want a full screen of hearts at least, and shrines are getting harder and harder to find with some shrine puzzles (just to get them open) being ... puzzling.

Spoiler:
    I have the shrine sensor off because it's annoying sounding, but also because I'm a big girl, damn it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Too many shrines are outright invisible to find without the radar.

I'm 7 to go, with two located but unable to access, and I have no idea where to keep looking, I decided to get the home quest and the rest of the "quests" done, because by beating all of an area's quest a shrine quest happened.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I found a shrine quest completely at random just because I've been scouring the map for things that look interesting that I haven't seen from afar.

Spoiler:
    And then the sheikah ball got teleported to the beginning area I got it from simply because I ... I'm not really sure why. I killed the first hinox and it had the ball, so I carried it with me and then I offed the second before taking the second ball forward first where I found the place I was supposed to put it. But when I went back, the first ball was GONE from where I dropped it. I went back to the first area, but it wasn't there until much later after I killed the third guy and dropped THAT ball off. I swear I was searching for the damn thing for a half hour completely flabbergasted before I checked the first area for the third or fourth time.
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt monkey AL View Post
    I found a shrine quest completely at random just because I've been scouring the map for things that look interesting that I haven't seen from afar.

Spoiler:
    And then the sheikah ball got teleported to the beginning area I got it from simply because I ... I'm not really sure why. I killed the first hinox and it had the ball, so I carried it with me and then I offed the second before taking the second ball forward first where I found the place I was supposed to put it. But when I went back, the first ball was GONE from where I dropped it. I went back to the first area, but it wasn't there until much later after I killed the third guy and dropped THAT ball off. I swear I was searching for the damn thing for a half hour completely flabbergasted before I checked the first area for the third or fourth time.
    Spoiler:
    Each ball goes into a specific pedestal. I also made the mistake of dropping the first one into a random pedestal, then had to go fetch it again later. It was no big deal, though, just a bit annoying having to trek back down to the spawn point and back up the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Personally I'm at the point where discussing this game with people is making me hate it, so I'll probably just stop doing so. The climate on the internet and everywhere as a whole right now is that everyone loves the game and it is the best thing ever and if you didn't like anything you're playing the game wrong or just hate it.
    It definitely has significant flaws, some of which are glitches (look up the blood moon glitch) and others make the game less fun at times (climbing on a rainy day).

The game's fresh enough and solid enough that those flaws didn't ruin it for me, but I could tell within a dozen hours that Breath of the Wild probably isn't something I'll replay ten times like the other Zeldas I love.

It may be awesome, but it's not as tight a game as Link's Awakening or A Link to the Past.

...There's a more than good chance the next Zelda game will be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant_Mugen View Post
    Spoiler:
    Each ball goes into a specific pedestal. I also made the mistake of dropping the first one into a random pedestal, then had to go fetch it again later. It was no big deal, though, just a bit annoying having to trek back down to the spawn point and back up the hill.
    Spoiler:
    Then I got them all right on the first try. The first ball which I left in the second area teleported away while I put the second ball in.

I love that long quest NPC once you finish their quests try to point you to the whole "save hyrule" thing. Like "isn't there something ELSE you should be doing instead of gathering my livestock/showing me swords/cooking for me?"

Central hyrule fills me with a sense of dread, so many ruins and destruction.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Hidden:

Hidden:

Hidden:

Ok, so, I used PTO to request an entire week off work for this game. Thanks to having two days off naturally, that meant 9 days to play it to my heart’s content, barring a few breaks to do some friend helping and also some Bombermanning with friends.

In that time I have found and completed 77 Shrines, gotten 125 Korok Seeds, tackled 3 of the Divine Beasts, and have done every side quest that’s crossed my path in between.

I’m not done yet obviously, the game could totally screw the landing, but I think I’ve played enough of the game thus far to have a solid opinion.

This game will probably end up dethroning Majora’s Mask as my favorite game of all time. Not hyperbole, or a joke. I really feel this game is that good.

I don’t think any game is truly “Perfect” so demanding absolute perfection isn’t feasible, but damnit this game comes close. Close is not “Perfect” however so yeah, I DO have some issues with the game. I’ll get those out of the way first because they won’t take as long as the things I loved:
    Stuff is hidden due to length, not spoilers. Nothing here is a spoiler beyond the VERY beginning of the game, like stuff Nintendo showed off in trailers

Cons:
    Hidden:

- I overall am good with the inventory system and the breakable weapons (See the video I posted earlier, Arlo mirrors my opinion pretty well) but the one thing I think I have a problem with is how the game handles when you have a full inventory and try to pick up a new weapon. I’d REALLY appreciate an on-screen prompt akin to “Your Inventory is full. Would you like to drop something to make room?” and if I pick “Yes” it automatically takes me to my weapons menu, and if I pick something, it auto-drops that something and auto-picks up the new thing. As it stands, I have to walk away from the new thing, push +, scroll all the way left because usually I’m on my food, pick the weapon, pick to drop it, back out, walk back to the new thing, and then pick it up. It feels like a few steps could easily be shaved off of this is my point.

- One issue with the durability of the weapons however is that it would be nice to have an actual bar or meter telling me my weapon’s durability, like on the inventory screen or something. The only indications you have are the sparkle that tells you it’s new and unused, or the red that indicates it’s about to break… you have no indication of any of the in-between levels at all. For the early-game items like Boko Clubs and tree branches, this is kinda ok because they have such crap durability that it’s fair to assume they’re always just a hit or two away from the red… but as the game gets on and you have actually durable weapons, I’d like some way of telling their exact durability so if I come across something that’s weaker than my current sword, but is pristine, I can help gauge whether or not dropping my current thing is a good idea. Like, there are times where if my current sword is at about 75-80%, I’d probably want to keep it, but if it were ~30%, I’d probably want to drop it and swap it even if the new thing I found is weaker.

- The Rain. I don’t mind the rain as a mechanic, and I don’t mind the slipperiness or any of that. It does add an element of realism and goes to making the world feel truly alive. What irritates me is… it feels like it rains ENTIRELY too much… like, a lot… like wow. Nintendo, please nerf the freaking rain… I get in places like Zora’s domain before you do the beast it’s SUPPOSED to be raining all the time, but this happens freaking everywhere… starting a fire and camping for several hours helps… but not entirely. I’ve jumped 24 hours into the future with it before and it’s still raining… The most recent area I’ve played was Gerudo Desert and I’m kinda sad I have to leave it soon because it hadn’t rained once and that was great…

- I hesitate to call this a flaw, but I find myself missing a full grand Zelda style score. The reason I struggle with this is, I get what they were going for with the atmosphere and I actually really think it works. I like the minimalist music and I like the music that does play when it plays. I do get engrossed in the world and the sounds and the atmosphere around me……. But I miss my grand Zelda music!! I don’t want to call this a flaw because it’s not something “Wrong”, I know this is just my inner Zelda fangirl missing something I liked.

Now, with those out of the way, time for the Pros
    Hidden:

- The world is absolutely massive and so full of great stuff to do! This was my biggest worry about the game looking at it before release. Twilight Princess had a huge world, but did nothing good with it really… Hyrule Field felt empty, there were really only two actual “Towns” with people living in them, and one was pretty barren… This has a ton to do. There are Bokoblin camps all over the place, wild animals you have to contend with, people! There re NPCs just wandering the world who can talk to you and even get in trouble and need to be saved! This feels like a full and thriving world and it’s amazing. I think I’ve spent the most time in my playthrough just exploring everything.

- The Puzzles are engaging and fun. The decision to not do as many big dungeons and instead to split a lot of the puzzles up to the Shrines and some Overworld stuff felt risky to me, but it paid off. The Shrines have just as engaging and fun puzzles. I’ve had to move around electricity generating orbs, pick up metal bowls and carry stuff, stop time on some rolling traps to get by, or direct a raft floating down a river with well-placed Cryonis blocks. This is excellent puzzle design, and I’ve almost always felt challenged without being frustrated by it, it’s a great mix!

- So far I’m loving the story and I think it’s being handled REALLY well. They give you nuggets of story at the start, that Link has been asleep for 100 years and the great Calamity Ganon attacked and something happened and you went to sleep, and that you now have no memories and that’s it. Then, it’s up to you to seek out the story points in the form of “Memories” of Link’s. You need to go places the Sheikah slate photos say you have been to in the past and that jogs Link’s memory. You can also learn lore and information by talking to NPCs and interacting with the world. Like, Kass tells you the story of the great calamity in the form of a song if you talk to him. That’s great because it encourages exploration as well as talking to the NPCs to enrich the world yourself. This is probably the best way to handle a story in a game like this considering an engaging story is usually what you sacrifice for linearity and… I will say, tho I do like it, the story is definitely not as engrossing as say, Skyward Sword’s is, but the trade off is we get this free open non-linear world in exchange.

- Speaking of non-linear… This is the first truly Non-Linear Zelda game we’ve gotten… in a VERY Long time, I’d say Aonuma and Miyamoto’s comparisons to the original LoZ are apt. Every single other Zelda besides these two have some linearity to them. Ocarina, Majora’s Mask, Twilight Princess, hell even ALTTP have SOME Linearity. Some parts you HAVE to do before other parts… this game really doesn’t…. I suppose the 4 shrines you have to do before you can get off the Plateau is the only time this game has any real linearity, but even then you can do the shrines in any order and there’s even multiple ways of doing those. Like the different ways to keep warm while you’re getting up the snow covered mountain to do the Cryonis one.

- Also since we’re on the Plateau, there is no stupid hours long handholdey tutorial!!! The Tutorial the game DOES give you is more akin to older games in general where it just drops out into a tutorial area and gives you some minor direction on where to go to get the Runes, but learning the mechanics and the functions of both normal controls and the runes is entirely on you… and I LOVE this. Nintendo, you’ve just hit the perfect butter zone on tutorials in a Zelda game. You’re done. You never have to figure out another Zelda tutorial again. Just Step 1: Give us the tools we need to learn, Step 2: Let us play with them. Done. Good. We’re golden.

- No stupid handholdey companion character. This kinda goes along with the no tutorial thing, but man is this great. Sometimes, they do amazing with the companion character. See: Midna, Tatl, maybe King of Red Lions. But when they screw this up…. They REALLY screw it up…. Navi…. Fi….. I’d much rather have none at all than risk another Fi. Skyward Sword is in my Top 3 favorite Zelda games and I’ll be the first to admit Fi gets annoying fast.

The next couple of things might count as spoilers for some. Spoiling to be safe:

Spoiler:

- I’m a big fan of the Divine Beast dungeons. The mechanic of having to move around the beasts from within in order to do puzzles is great. I wish the dungeons were a tad longer, but with all the overworld puzzles and Shrines, it’s not really an issue.

- I really like that there are a few “Bosses” you can fight on the overworld that have names and lifebars like the Hinox and the Tallus. The first time I accidentally encountered one is scared the crap out of me and made me feel like I was woefully unprepared to tackle this world, but then the first time I managed to take one down, it made me feel like I’d learned and made real progression, and now I can take them down fairly easily, and it REALLY helps the feeling of progression in the game.

- Link and Zelda’s champions of Hyrule from the flashbacks are all amazing, I really really want the DLC coming soon to be set in the past when those guys were alive and fun.

So yeah, REALLY Loving this game… unless something happens during the final beast fight, final side quest/shrine mop up, or the final battle with Calamity Ganon… this game will probably dethrone Majora’s Mask as my favorite game of all time… and I’m totally ok with this.

This game walks a very fine line between feeling like classic quintessential Zelda and a radical departure that completely changes the entire system and I think it hits the perfect butter zone there.

NOTE: Please ignore the prior length of this post. I copy-pasted an entire word doc on accident instead of the small chunk I had intended to.
    Last edited by Demon Rin; March 14th, 2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Hidden:

Hidden:

Hidden:
    Only the second vid works for me, so I just post the official link (hehe) here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CgwicEUIgKqQ4N
    Enjoyed watching those.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

There's one con other than arrows and my weird earlier debacle with balls.

Lore.

Not to get into spoilers, but I've gotten all of the memories that I'm aware of - barring any that might awaken from side quests which is unlikely. Now that I have them all though ... I feel like half the reason I love open worlds like Skyrim or Fallout is kind of gone now.

I stop and read and listen to every book, note or holotape that I come across even if I've done it before. It's just a little thing that adds some flavor to the world I'm in even if it's just one more note about someone that's going to a cave or settlement that obviously didn't make it when they did. I spent hours in a junkyard searching for a turned over train or something to find the dead family that I knew was dead already because I also knew there would be a tiny bit more lore when I found them. And I was completely satisfied even when the weapons I found there was nothing I'd use.

The closest thing to that I've gotten was from a silly little side-quest about taking a picture of a blupee, and then showing it to the npc when I eventually got back to them. If you've done it, then you know what a blupee is and what I'm talking about. It took me aback to find that out, but stuff like that happens a little too rarely.

It does make me want to do all of the side-quests though to make sure I got every tidbit that I can.

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

I've done that blupee quest but don't remember what the extra lore was :/ would you mind giving a reminder?

Regarding the lore stuff more generally, I can't speak to the big picture as I haven't finished the game but I also haven't really come across much background lore stuff. There have been a few bits here and there that I've come across that I've enjoyed (I like that Lynels are, from memory, apparently the only monsters who might see through a disguise) or that have come out of nowhere and floored me a bit though.

On that latter point:

Spoiler:
    Is it explained somewhere on the main quest line how Link dies during the Calamity? Cause I was just chilling out in Robbies lab debating how many arrows to buy, take a glance through his notebook and there it's just casually dropped (to me) that Link gets killed fighting a horde of Guardians at Fort Hatano. And that was a real whoa moment for me. Walking through the fort afterward (I hadn't found it previously) was quiet a strange, melancholic experience :/

Also if the answer to my question is that it comes up during or around the climactic Ganon stuff no spoilers please :)
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by lr-hr-rh View Post
    I've done that blupee quest but don't remember what the extra lore was :/ would you mind giving a reminder?

Regarding the lore stuff more generally, I can't speak to the big picture as I haven't finished the game but I also haven't really come across much background lore stuff. There have been a few bits here and there that I've come across that I've enjoyed (I like that Lynels are, from memory, apparently the only monsters who might see through a disguise) or that have come out of nowhere and floored me a bit though.

On that latter point:

Spoiler:
    Is it explained somewhere on the main quest line how Link dies during the Calamity? Cause I was just chilling out in Robbies lab debating how many arrows to buy, take a glance through his notebook and there it's just casually dropped (to me) that Link gets killed fighting a horde of Guardians at Fort Hatano. And that was a real whoa moment for me. Walking through the fort afterward (I hadn't found it previously) was quiet a strange, melancholic experience :/

Also if the answer to my question is that it comes up during or around the climactic Ganon stuff no spoilers please :)
    Spoiler:
    That's revealed in the final memory though I have to say that it's not entirely specific ... and lol, there's a look from Link you have to watch out for. I watched it with my boyfriend and we cracked up. I'm gonna get a snap shot of it for later with a "don't you fucking lie to me" caption.

Also, I dunno if that was Fort Hateno. I'll have to double check my map ...

About the blupee, the korok mentions how it drops rupees because it's so shiny, and I suddenly realized that it's also extremely jumpy and skittish. As in, it's not dropping rupees in the grass anymore for us. Maybe it's just head canon, but that's how I took that.

Also my new favorite thing to do is party with bokoblins before wrecking their shit. It'll make sneaking up on Lizalfos much easier too. They're the bane of my existence.
    Last edited by dirt monkey AL; March 14th, 2017 at 08:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information