+ Reply to Thread
Page 842 of 843 FirstFirst ... 342 742 792 832 840 841 842 843 LastLast
Results 16,821 to 16,840 of 16848

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    I am literally shaking, having cold sweats and feel like I am about to vomit from the anxiety attack, Green. Someone, anyone, please, post something that tells me the end isn't drawing closer. I am literally freaking the hell out right now.
    Just try to calm down. No one knows for sure what the future may hold for this planet and the human race. Yes, right now a lot of people are acting very irresponsibly, but there are also a lot of people who know this is a problem and are doing what they can to fix it. I can't promise you that we're going to be okay in 50 years, but I can't say with certainty we're all going to be dead either.

For now, we are alive and we are not in any immediate danger, so try to appreciate what you have right now. And if you do feel strongly about this, then do what you can to help the environment and make your voice heard.

The worst part: The rainforest soil is not good to plant crops or even fodder. It wouldn't take long to everything become like a wasteland.

I legitimately just had an anxiety attack at reading Robby's post and all this. I can't believe it. We're all gonna fucking die in less then 50 years. I don't think I can handle it.
    That's life you could die anytime from any number of things I've already accepted my death.

I got rid of that anxiety when I found out about the giant metane bubble bellow the gulf of mexico. If that bubble pops, we will be gone before the hour.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, Brazil doesn't have the exclusivity on crimes against the rain forest:
    https://www.caracaschronicles.com/20...orld-was-lost/
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I legitimately just had an anxiety attack at reading Robby's post and all this. I can't believe it. We're all gonna fucking die in less then 50 years. I don't think I can handle it.
    I don't mean to terrify you about that. But it was asked why its a big deal. And well, it is a big deal. But for something more reassuring...

https://sfdebris.com/videos/animatio...vstheelite.php

Yes, I know its a review of a Superman cartoon. But 18 minutes into the video SFdebris goes on a long bit about hope and progress and some of the breakthroughs and near miracles we're performing daily.

The issue is that humans suck and are being greedy... but humans are ALSO realizing just what's going on and what we need to do to fix it, and obviously we're going to try. There's going to be fighting and resistance to it, but things like the Green New Deal have traction and they should be taking hold. Obviously not under this administration, but its hard to imagine the next one, should it go Democrat in a year, doesn't make it a priority. Trump has destroyed a whole mess of regulations so that companies can profit, and most companies have gone "Screw you, the previous guy knew the right thing to do and we're already committed to getting cleaner, we're going to do that with or without regulations forcing it."

Most governments of the world are accepting the science and that global warming is real. Solar panels are getting cheaper and more effective. Smokeless power plants are being created. Buildings and bus stops are being made now that incorporate plants into the entire design. Carbon is being drawn from the air and turned into concrete and plastic and even food. They've made huge breakthoughs in restoring coral reef and regrowing it far faster than thought possible, what we thought dead forever might yet be saved. We've realized the actual forever cost of plastic and are figuring out bio-degradable variations. Cars are moving away from gas and towards full electric. The science fiction that is fusion reactors might not be fiction much longer.

It would have been better if we'd embraced the fact of global warming back in say, the 80's, (and we certainly knew about it by then... and in fact have known for a century) and hadn't mocked Al Gore's Incovenient Truth in the 00's, and been making more progress on it for the last 40 years so the timetable wouldn't be so bad now, but we're getting there and the task at hand is undeniable now and is setting in.

So... the situation sucks and its bad, but becoming a toxic baren desert planet is not inevitable.

Look at NEw York in 1973 compared to 2013.
    Last edited by Robby; August 23rd, 2019 at 07:52 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The river Thames in London used to be called The Great Stink because of all the human waste and industrial crap that was poured into it in the 1800s, leading to several cholera outbreaks and general bad-being, but with serious sewage system building and outpour confinement, the Thames has returned to being an actual river with wildlife and everything. It IS possible to turn these things around, we just need the effort.

Good think we had Captain Planet back in OK KO recently.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I know in the grand scheme of things, one person can't do much, but I have replaced Google and all such things with Ecosia, which every search goes to help planting trees, and I made a few $25 donations, to places like the Rainforest Trust and the W.W.F. Also, when it;s time to get a new car, definitely going electric.

Hey, if nothing else, when it's my time to go, at least I can say I tried to help.

I just love living through several slow apocalypses simultaneously, don't ya'll?
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Chaos
    That's life you could die anytime from any number of things I've already accepted my death.
    An easy boast to make when you're not currently suffering and on the verge of death. Just saying.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    The river Thames in London used to be called The Great Stink.
    Is there anything the londoners haven't nicknamed yet?

Guess Europe doesn't want the U.S. to outdo it in being ignorant towards Vaccines

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1166932314418339841
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; August 29th, 2019 at 02:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Guess Europe doesn't want the U.S. to outdo it in being ignorant towards Vaccines

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1166932314418339841
    Why is France of all places the most vaccine-ignorant country?

I wish the hell I knew but you would think that a continent that suffered through the bubonic plague would be a bit more weary of viral outbreaks.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Apparently that map isn't completely accurate.

So basically it's worse?

Honestly, I would bet most of those pathetically-low numbers are just driven by uneducated people thinking you can get sick from vaccines, or that they have some kind of dangerous chemicals. Hell maybe even people who think "vaccine" is some kind of poisonous insect. I refuse to believe billions of people think it's linked to autism.

A healthy chunk probably thinks it is some sort of ploy for the elite to control people. Anything can be traced back to illuminati lizard people

Look, Venezuela is there, and experiencing a Malaria outbreak every rainy season. It is not education but actual experience and fear that leads to this knowledge.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Honestly, I would bet most of those pathetically-low numbers are just driven by uneducated people thinking you can get sick from vaccines, or that they have some kind of dangerous chemicals. Hell maybe even people who think "vaccine" is some kind of poisonous insect. I refuse to believe billions of people think it's linked to autism.
    At one point when I was fourteen I briefly believed that vaccines caused autism because my doctor had a stack of credible-looking pamphlets claiming that it did.

It's confirmation bias mixed with lack of experience and a pervasive distrust of big corporations for very good reasons.
    In 2017 almost half of the US either didn't know or was certain that vaccines caused autism.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Look, Venezuela is there, and experiencing a Malaria outbreak every rainy season. It is not education but actual experience and fear that leads to this knowledge.
    Unfortunately it's fake education that made the difference. :/
    Lack of experience just enabled it to work its awful magic.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information