+ Reply to Thread
Page 802 of 855 FirstFirst ... 302 702 752 792 800 801 802 803 804 812 852 ... LastLast
Results 16,021 to 16,040 of 17097

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    If white skin doesn't equal being white then how a person considered white
    Nationality, which is how you wound up with things like discrimination against the Irish and Scandinavians.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Former inmate at Chinese detention camp used for Muslims says that re-education involved being forced to eat pork and drink wine.
    Note, this is all during Ramadan.

https://t.co/Zwyw033Tr8

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Former inmate at Chinese detention camp used for Muslims says that re-education involved being forced to eat pork and drink wine.
    Note, this is all during Ramadan.

https://t.co/Zwyw033Tr8
    Well shit why don't they just go full hog and make them burn a Quran too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Ugh. Reading stuff like this makes me so ashamed being Chinese descent. Like, what would our ancestors think of this shit? (and I don't mean Mao, the guy was a psycho)

Makes you wonder what poor German-Americans thought during WWII seeing their country doing all this horrible stuff.

I always thought not eating pork was a Jewish-only tradition.

I. AM. LIVID.
    https://www.npr.org/2018/05/21/60501...ntent=20180521

REALLY LIVID.
    https://nypost.com/2018/05/19/texas-...6755ba5ad8238c

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I always thought not eating pork was a Jewish-only tradition.
    Nope, it's Jewish and Muslim. It must be hard to keep pork in the Middle East.

I'm actually surprised he won't face the death penalty given how much Texas prides itself on executing people whether they're innocent or not.

Though I don't expect him to get paroled either.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

If they actually parole him Texas will be 100% hypocrite.

if they parole him, i have a feeling he's gonna get his ass kicked

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    It must be hard to keep pork in the Middle East.
    There is actually no pork in the Middle-East.
    I guess there is in Lebanon though

I've been following the news casually about the volcanic eruptions in Hawaii over in the 2019 Weather thread (still haven't gotten to change the title to 2019 Weather & Natural Disaster) but the thread's been dead.

Lava is advancing towards a plant, the Puna Geothermal Venture, and its causing some worries of what will happen if lava hits some tanks. They are worried about threat of toxic plumes of gas

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post

bro cut that hair

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Wow... funny how back in 80s/90s, the kids couldn't get out of the parents' house fast enough. Heck my sister moved out when she was 16. Then turn of the century and its cheaper to wait to move out, and its more common for kids to wait until 25. In either case, if the kid refused to move out, parents wouldn't take him to court, they'd simply move his stuff to the curb and change the locks.

I remember a few friends who pushed their parents too much and got kicked out. It wasn't a request "its time to move out" it was the classic move that earned the term "kicked out".

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    If white skin doesn't equal being white then how a person considered white
    Plenty of Greeks look the same as Iranians, but then I don't know how you guys consider yourselves.

Either way in the US historically it really meant a sort of class/cultural thing even if nobody realized this was what they were doing.
    Remember the founding dominant culture in the US at the start was from England, so those people judged newcomers in relation to that.

At first it would have been pretty much just English (and maybe Dutch and Scottish) that were "white" in that way.
    Eventually anyone speaking Germanic languages from Protestant backgrounds were considered closer to "white".
    And by now this has spread to basically all Europeans, regardless of religion and background.

However even though plenty of Italians and Greeks can look identical to Arabs, Turks and Iranians? You guys are still on the outs in this regard, because Muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Either way in the US historically it really meant a sort of class/cultural thing even if nobody realized this was what they were doing.
    Remember the founding dominant culture in the US at the start was from England, so those people judged newcomers in relation to that.
    Partly why poor Irishmen had such a hard time here. That and Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Partly why poor Irishmen had such a hard time here. That and Catholic.

I don't think anti-Irish racism in the US was from all the English ancestry here, though I mean... I do kinda wonder...
    Mostly I think it was yes partly the Catholic thing, but also the general racism thing where the middle class demographics will look at grinding urban poverty and crime that a minority group is mired in... and conclude that surely the reason that minority is poor and violent is some inherent cultural/genetic inferiority. Same old story.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Plenty of Greeks look the same as Iranians, but then I don't know how you guys consider yourselves.

At first it would have been pretty much just English (and maybe Dutch and Scottish) that were "white" in that way.
    Eventually anyone speaking Germanic languages from Protestant backgrounds were considered closer to "white".
    And by now this has spread to basically all Europeans, regardless of religion and background.

However even though plenty of Italians and Greeks can look identical to Arabs, Turks and Iranians? You guys are still on the outs in this regard, because Muslim.
    In Iran there is racism between people because everyone in Iran isn't Persian(even if everyone have same race people want someway to feel superior) the least racism I heard were about Kurds the most were Afghans cause refugees and immigration problem people have but skin color is not relevant at all since I started talking to western people I realised weird talk about skin color which always raised the question of how is someone considered white since skin color doesn't count
    Spoiler:

By fire be purged

What the fuck is wrong with you guys: NYTimes horrendous interview with the Arrested Development cast:

tl;dr - Jessica Walter relates Jeffrey Tambor's horrific behaviour to her, male cast members are assholes and try to downplay it, only Alia Shawkat's calling it out

Last edited by Pachylad; May 31st, 2018 at 12:03 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information