+ Reply to Thread
Page 351 of 874 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 349 350 351 352 353 361 401 451 851 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,020 of 17468

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...hild/71921448/

Who the hell kicks at a little girl like that

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    You can't say the US wasn't built upon Christianity when the majority were not only christians, but embedded it in its founding.
    The makeup of the country then or now is irrelevant; the Founding Fathers specifically constructed a government around the notion that politics and religion intermixing diminishes both.

The United States even made a point in the Treaty of Tripoli that the country was not founded on Christian principles; political dealings were therefore motivated by pragmatic reasons rather than dogmatic.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post

Someone who hates immigrants who have the nerve to flee their homeland because it's going to shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    No, he *will* take it, its a constitutional problem if he doesn't. Despite what tabloids or popularity polls may want, the crown is not going to leapfrog a generation (Barring Charles dying before the queen).
    He could abdicate, knowingly and publicly in advance. While the laws and regulations are strict, they too are available to change, which is fuelled by the current scenario of having an heir that is seen as being too old to serve properly.

I'd imagine the scenario would steal some of the plot that played out between Edward and Albert, with one abdicating for some kind of moral reason, only to be succeeded by the younger of the two.

Then you have the financial burden of altering all present currency and stuff tied to the throne, only to have it changed within a decade or two at most.

83% of US citizens class themselves as Christians, which are CURRENT figures!
    I don't think you get secular government and what it means.

You're also ignoring that colonial America was cleaved by incredibly varying Christian sects, a thing which mattered tremendously back then and still does a little bit (or a lot a bit in your own Northern Ireland).
    Not paying attention to sect is also a wildly bad way to assess what religious trends are in the US, or anywhere. You'll understand nothing with the broad stroke of CHRISTIAN. Same with any religion.
    You can't say the US wasn't built upon Christianity when the majority were not only christians, but embedded it in its founding.
    Where is Christianity embedded in our founding. The main inspiration among the founders (and like the one actually visible in the documents) is the Enlightenment.

The fact that laws and legislation are beginning to change with the times parallels the decline in citizens that class themselves as christians.
    This is an absurdly simplistic way of viewing this, like amateur level statistical analysis.
    The only reason it has adapted is due to it accepting immigrants that aren't just from England and Ireland/god fearing folk. But this happened much later on and is apparent by the sheer level of confrontation whenever anything goes against what is seen as christian values.
    Smudge I don't want to make every bullet response a chapter from "US History 101", you don't seem to have studied US history like at all. At all at all.
    I don't have a clue where you're even talking from since what you're saying doesn't even sound like bad US history that commonly sprouts up. It sounds like assumptions you personally made from whole cloth.

This is a pretty hard argument to make when the constitution is so in keeping with Christian guidelines.
    And which ways.

Especially when you mention the south which made up such a huge portion of what it is and was from the beginning.
    The South wasn't even very religious back then....that was New England... And it was riven by two distinct cultural regi-
    PLEASE READ SOME BOOKS
    I'm not focusing solely on that. But mentioned it as an example of how religion is STILL affecting people in this day and age, despite how much the country has evolved. The point being that it's still alive and affecting people in a variety of ways.
    Literally one county in rural Kentucky.

And you think this would have played out the same way a decade or so ago? ha
    Smudge, when I talk confidently about X country I don't live in, I usually do so after pouring over material left and right.
    The LGB acceptance drive (which has been happening at the same time across the entire developed world outside East Asia) has some things to do with changing attitudes toward religion (no not simply LESS CHRISTIANS). But it also has been a detailed and incredibly gradual process of increased visibility and confidence in that community, making countless inroads through pop culture and other media. And also a major part being generational, this coinciding with the Millennial generation's coming of age.
    It's a complex blizzard of things interplaying.
    And yeah without work you're not going to grasp that without having lived through it.
    Its not about me acting like the whole country is nuts. I just don't accept the whitewashed story you are portraying about the US and its christian values that shaped it in its founding years.
    Probably because you have never ever sat down with US history before. Also how am I whitewashing anything.

1. This isn't even obscure knowledge, being founded as a secular state with separation of church and state is baby's first civics here.
    2. Acting like CHRISTIAN is one thing that does one thing is extremely bizarre, and kind of inexcusable given how much sect matters in British history as well.
    3. You're straight talking like I'm arguing that we weren't influenced Nazism, like Christianity is some evil to be removed or acknowledged, which is bizarre and deranged.

I've lived with several peeps from varying states the past year, and each preach the same tune i'm singing.
    Cool, I've lived here for 27 years with probably some thousands of varying peeps I've interacted with at some point or another from varying places and backgrounds. I'm also a History Grad student with a sister who is a US history teacher.
    Rule No.35 about studying other countries. While it is bad to not have put in the work to study those places, it is also bad to assume people from those countries know their own history and such details just by living there.
    For instance based off this conversation I would not trust you to give me some explanation of the religious warfare and political crisis's that rocked the British Isles in the 1500's and 1600's. Which incidentally tie in to almost all of our founding distinct populations, including the distinct religious ones.

Who cut off Charles I's head Smudge?
    The same people who gave birth to Connecticut and the very city I live in now.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Apparently she's with Jobbik. The Hungarian Golden Dawn, so nasty horrible people.

Hungary!
    The country whose language comes from firmly outside of Europe!
    The country whose historical founders were literal invaders from outside of Europe!
    The country who spent time as a refugee state sleeping on the Austrian Empire's couch after the Ottomans ripped them up!
    The country which in living memory sent a refugee diaspora abroad several times as Communist, Nazis, and again Communists shattered their peace!
    Last edited by Monkey King; September 9th, 2015 at 08:29 PM.

He could abdicate, knowingly and publicly in advance. While the laws and regulations are strict, they too are available to change, which is fuelled by the current scenario of having an heir that is seen as being too old to serve properly.

I'd imagine the scenario would steal some of the plot that played out between Edward and Albert, with one abdicating for some kind of moral reason, only to be succeeded by the younger of the two.

Then you have the financial burden of altering all present currency and stuff tied to the throne, only to have it changed within a decade or two at most.
    It's NOT going to happen. There's no reason for it to happen. "Oh, Charles might only be king for 20 or 30 years before he dies". So what? Now, if the Queen holds on and lives another 20 years to be 110 leaving Charles to be almost 90 when the time comes, there might be a discussion to be had. But barring that? They're not going mess with their constitution and open up a whole mass of potential problems just for that, costs be damned.

Its not like they go "oh the new pope is so old, what's the point?"

William himself has said, repeatedly, a leapfrog its not going to happen.

Seperately, on the other topic, gay integration and acceptance has been a gradual thing. You can track it to tv shows, as far back as things like Three's Company (in the 70's!) playing up jokes about a "gay" character, and that was super taboo at the time. Or go back to the 90's where Ellen coming out was a big deal (but Geoge Takei a few years later was not) or when Roseanne started fitting gay characters into her show left and right. From the gay stereotypes with the swashing and over the top voices, sand the limpwristed sissies in Revenge of the Nerds to... actually being people today. Gays in media nowadays are just... people. Not "the gay guy".

Outside of television, gay rights didn't jump out of the closet last year. Trying to get marriage equality and right to serve in the military has been a vocal and public battle for decades, (and passed in Canada back in 05) and general acceptance of it has been a lot more open the last decade... but the open fight for gay rights has publicly gone back for decades. Not quite entirely as open or alongside other minority rights like black or women in the 60's, but it has been around and pushing since that time. Its not a new thing... and probably almost anyone under 20 has grown up in an environment where gay or transgender isn't that surprising or unusual a thing and is taken more for granted as what it is... human rights.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

With authorities ineffective, the 2,200-strong Ka’apor, in the Brazilian state of Maranhăo, are taking on the illegal loggers with technology and direct action

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...s-camera-traps
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I don't think you get secular government and what it means.

You're also ignoring that colonial America was cleaved by incredibly varying Christian sects, a thing which mattered tremendously back then and still does a little bit (or a lot a bit in your own Northern Ireland).
    Not paying attention to sect is also a wildly bad way to assess what religious trends are in the US, or anywhere. You'll understand nothing with the broad stroke of CHRISTIAN. Same with any religion.
    You have a point about each being different, but that in itself being a BIG ISSUE back then. That said; most parties will still end up on a similar path.
    Where is Christianity embedded in our founding. The main inspiration among the founders (and like the one actually visible in the documents) is the Enlightenment.
    When I say embedded within its founding, I mean that when the people forming this are all god fearing folk living a life orientated around the teachings of jesus, you'd expect that would impact every decision made.

This is an absurdly simplistic way of viewing this, like amateur level statistical analysis.
    This isn't a 'there's less christians, let's change', but saying that the decline of religion is a sign that logic and progress is being made, which is apparent when regarding topics that would have been too sensitive to get any momentum to change a the past few decades.

That same trend is probably tied more closely to the creation of the internet and phones lol
    Smudge I don't want to make every bullet response a chapter from "US History 101", you don't seem to have studied US history like at all. At all at all.
    I don't have a clue where you're even talking from since what you're saying doesn't even sound like bad US history that commonly sprouts up. It sounds like assumptions you personally made from whole cloth.
    I'm not going down that road as I can tell you now that its shoddy at best.

But here I don't even need to study up on its founding years when politicians running for any great position are powered by donors, whom of which are most likely christians. If you don't know where I'm going with this, then look at your presidents, look at the people that hold power, and make decisions.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...en-christians/

Aside from Jefferson and Lincoln, one of which ended slavery, and the other focused on the big 'fuck you' science.

And which ways.
    http://www.debate.org/opinions/was-a...ristian-values

Oh hey, some other peeps are having the same conversation.

“The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”The Constitution of the United States of America, Article 6

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
    The Constitution of the United States of America, The Bill of Rights, Amendment I
    So yes its clear from that the laws were aimed at not pertaining to one faith, which meant it was open to all people and faiths.

But then we have stuff like this hidden within the text, that shows how the morals of the people that wrote it were clearly christian based.
    “If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.”
    The Constitution of the United States of America, Article 1, Section 7
    The South wasn't even very religious back then....that was New England... And it was riven by two distinct cultural regi-
    PLEASE READ SOME BOOKS
    You need to understand that it wasn't about the south being religious, but not being organised. You can look back and see every denomination present, but poorly represented until the country became more organized.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel02.html
    Look at that!
    Literally one county in rural Kentucky.
    Yes Zeph, religion has no impact on people's decisions, nor politics. If that's what you want to believe...
    Who cut off Charles I's head Smudge?
    Richard brandon

The makeup of the country then or now is irrelevant; the Founding Fathers specifically constructed a government around the notion that politics and religion intermixing diminishes both.

The United States even made a point in the Treaty of Tripoli that the country was not founded on Christian principles; political dealings were therefore motivated by pragmatic reasons rather than dogmatic.
    This is undeniable. It was put together in an effort to prevent religion having dictatorship over law. Though the laws written were done so by the morality and faith of a christian following, which would have impacted heavily on it.

The point mentioned above about 'sunday' is evidence of just that.
    Last edited by Smudger; September 10th, 2015 at 05:14 AM.

Yeah I'll stick to calling it Llanfair if you don't mind

I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post

I think that is how the British people call it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    They *have*. The law of the land is "gay marriage is legal".

And that clerk was breaking and obstructing the law.

It'd be like if a clerk refused to give out a fishing license because they'd gone vegan. I can only imagine the uproar that would be had if someone refused to give out a gun license for personal reasons.
    I'd like to see a christian refuse to give out gun licenses/ refuse to sell guns on the grounds that the biblical commandments include "you shall not murder". Just to put two of the things the US seems to be most protective about on different sides, and see what happens.

A new human-like species discovered!
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34192447
    Looks like human ancestors had ritual behaviours as far back as 3 million years ago.

Side note: I had no idea that a species older than Australopithecus existed until this article...

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I do sometimes wonder if Welsh was just supposed to be a joke that played way too long.

Welcome to Hungary (?)

This is getting ridicoulus though. And sad.

You know what, I'm starting to think this country and its people should really change their perspective; aside from the obvious xenophobic assholes, what we have is people who just want to mind their own business, and there's nothing wrong with that up till something this serious as a migration happens. You cannot mind only yourself here, you have to tolerate AND at least move out of the way for a while, preferably without calling each other names. I can sort of understand that most Hungarians just want to be happy and want their own little family to be peaceful, but when something externally disturbs that peace, it seems like we can't handle it without seeming like (and being) assholes.

At least that's how I see it. Of course there are people who are helping constantly and want to make things better despite the odds, and on the other end there are those who kick kids because fuck yeah Magyarország.

And a lot of people defend their (sometimes quite extreme) opinions and deeds by saying it's what they (would) do without thinking about what those other people did and why they did so. You want to fight for your country and stand your ground? Go ahead, do it when the time comes, it's your life, your choice. But please don't berate others when they make a different decision. If those immigrants decided to flee from terror and try to make a life for their families without fear of getting killed any minute, then it's their choice. Yes, they are moving across our country and some might stay here, and they do shake up some things for a while. Our busiest train station was full of them and some of them may have caused ruckus but please, try to understand them. Just try. I'm not saying those shouldn't be punished that hurt someone or robbed something in the process of traveling through here, but by all means, communicate and accept the fact that there are other countries out there not called Magyarország, and yes, they might be full of people and yes, those people might decide from time to time to try and find a better life for themselves and their families.

Just like the Hungarians did a lot of time many a year ago. Just looking at the previous century, Sweden welcomed a bunch of Hungarians (1956) and one great Swedish diplomat, Raoul Wallenberg helped thousands leave the country and find a safer place (II. WW). There are still Hungarians in a bunch of countries, who are the children and grandchildren of those who fled when it was a nightmare living here.

And in the past, we were a little better at accepting immigrants. Many Polish came to Hungary at around the time things became really horrible in Poland. And we welcomed them and did some risky moves to protect as many people as we could (basically, for some time, the Hungarian government could refuse a few smaller/larger orders from the Nazis, not allowind trains to pass through and whatnot).

This became much longer than I intended.
    Apparently she's with Jobbik. The Hungarian Golden Dawn, so nasty horrible people.

Hungary!
    The country whose language comes from firmly outside of Europe!
    The country whose historical founders were literal invaders from outside of Europe!
    The country who spent time as a refugee state sleeping on the Austrian Empire's couch after the Ottomans ripped them up!
    The country which in living memory sent a refugee diaspora abroad several times as Communist, Nazis, and again Communists shattered their peace!
    Ah, Jobbik. Burning European Union flags while getting money from them at the same time.

They aren't just nasty, they are terrifying. If at any time in the future they somehow win an election or anything like that, that will be the day I'm packing up my whole family and go to the other side of the globe. Or just a couple of countries West.

Still, it saddens me that a lot of people share their views nowadays. Couldn't we love our country without the murderous undertone please?

You have a point about each being different, but that in itself being a BIG ISSUE back then. That said; most parties will still end up on a similar path.
    Much like how for-profit plantation ventures that were considered loose morally became heavily religious bible thumpers.
    And heavily religious bible thumpers became a region more secular minded than the UK and get considered loose morally.

Sure Smudge, sounds about right.
    When I say embedded within its founding, I mean that when the people forming this are all god fearing folk living a life orientated around the teachings of jesus, you'd expect that would impact every decision made.
    They weren't all god fearing folk living a life orientated around jesus. Namely Thomas fuckin' Jefferson.
    Do you know what the Enlightenment is? It's a strange and silly thing to pick one (if even) school of thought and declare it the central be all if someone has any involvement in it, and any others don't count.
    This isn't a 'there's less christians, let's change', but saying that the decline of religion is a sign that logic and progress is being made, which is apparent when regarding topics that would have been too sensitive to get any momentum to change a the past few decades.
    Which is why we witnessed soaring LGBT rights and general progressivism in the upper western states where religion isn't a huge thing.
    Likewise in Russia and Lithuania.
    But here I don't even need to study up on its founding years when politicians running for any great position are powered by donors, whom of which are most likely christians.
    No actually most donors are not fundamentalists. In fact few
    I know you're not making that distinction even though you should, but otherwise I still can't parse jack all about your argument.
    Like how you're talking when someone identifies as Christian in the US, whatever on earth that might mean, it means something different than other places and everything they do is some Pentecostal speaking in tongues ritual just under the surface.

If you don't know where I'm going with this, then look at your presidents, look at the people that hold power, and make decisions.
    OMG! AND ALMOST ALL PRIME MINISTERS HAVE BEEN CHRISTIAN! AND ALMOST ALL FRENCH PRESIDENTS! AND GERMAN CHANCELORS! AND GET THIS?? ALMOST ALL JAPANESE PM's HAVE BEEN A VAGUE SHADE OF BUDDHIST SHINTO?? AND TURKISH PRESIDENTS AND PM'sTHEY'VE BEEN MUSLIM!
    Even if we break down by sect!!! Greek PM's! Every one of them an Orthodox Christian! Mexican Presidents! All Catholics!

Find.Of.The.Century.

Aside from Jefferson and Lincoln, one of which ended slavery, and the other focused on the big 'fuck you' science.
    And Taft. I'd love to hear you're argument on Taft's big additions to things.
    Also nice to know only Lincoln was against slavery, and only Jefferson cared about science.
    While you're busy vomiting out correlation fallacies Smudge I recommend blaming Nixon's warmongering on his Quakerism. That's a good one to hit me with next.

lol what is this shit.

Great thing to link to for whatever reason.
    http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-ca...-than-superman

Oh hey, some other peeps are having the same conversation.
    Great! Let me go check youtube comments and see what other gems we can get on this common discussion between random people!

But then we have stuff like this hidden within the text, that shows how the morals of the people that wrote it were clearly christian based.
    Or the daily practices of the population then shut down most things on Sundays.
    You need to understand that it wasn't about the south being religious, but not being organised. You can look back and see every denomination present, but poorly represented until the country became more organized.
    No that's completely incorrect in multiple ways.
    Smudge please stop literally just talking off no basis of anything.
    There are dozens of sects that aren't in there that matter today in various places, specifically the South.
    And the flip side where some listed there have virtually ceased to exist or have any social potency.
    Yes Zeph, religion has no impact on people's decisions, nor politics. If that's what you want to believe...
    Where did I say that.
    You're the one stating ridiculous maxims.
    This is undeniable. It was put together in an effort to prevent religion having dictatorship over law.
    And with the wars of religion in mind as well.

Though the laws written were done so by the morality and faith of a christian following, which would have impacted heavily on it.
    And in what way is that doing thing that is bad that is now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Ah, Jobbik. Burning European Union flags while getting money from them at the same time.

They aren't just nasty, they are terrifying. If at any time in the future they somehow win an election or anything like that, that will be the day I'm packing up my whole family and go to the other side of the globe. Or just a couple of countries West.

Still, it saddens me that a lot of people share their views nowadays. Couldn't we love our country without the murderous undertone please?
    I wonder if a Khanty man from Russia immigrated to Hungary, if Jobbik skinheads would beat him up, and then the entire Pannonian basin would collapse in irony on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    I'd like to see a christian refuse to give out gun licenses/ refuse to sell guns on the grounds that the biblical commandments include "you shall not murder". Just to put two of the things the US seems to be most protective about on different sides, and see what happens.
    You can shoot in the leg so that wouldn't really work for a defense.
    Last edited by desa; September 10th, 2015 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    You can shoot in the leg so that wouldn't really work for a defense.
    You're still likely to cause the person hit to bleed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

I wonder if a Khanty man from Russia immigrated to Hungary, if Jobbik skinheads would beat him up, and then the entire Pannonian basin would collapse in irony on the spot.
    As much as they like to love our "country" and its "people" and protect them with such ridiculous haste, they do lack certain... information about everything concerning sweet little Hungaria.

EDIT: Now that I've thought about it a little, maybe it has to do with how we teach our history. Every year, we like to emphasize things like 1848-49, 1956 and such. Don't get me wrong, they are important, but they may do a little more harm than good. I luckily attended a school named after a man who researched how we actually got here and where are our roots and how we settled in here. Strangely enough, it lacks the "We are Hungarians and let's be proud of that" and gives us more of a "Hungarians are a mix of bunch of other people, and that's how we started off". So yeah, a little less "love our country to death" and more "Oh hey, so that's why we're called Hungarians almost by every other nation, while we call ourselves Magyars".

But mostly, the focus is on the two aforementioned dates, and Jobbik uses 1848 almost as a way to express the true Hungarian way while, ironically, the 13 martyrs of Arad could hardly be called pure Magyars by their standards (for one, some of them could hardly speak the language, and look at their names).

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Nolus; September 11th, 2015 at 02:46 AM.

Anyone who lives, works, visited, or even just drove through a city once and seen a major construction project knows how big those cranes they use to build buildings can get. Well, one of them fell due to stormy weather in Mecca. The holiest and most sacred site in the Muslim religion. And I believe Friday is the busiest day of the week for Mecca too.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/11/middle...rane-collapse/

87 confirmed deaths and 184 injured. And you know some people are just going to have a field day with this but ignore them. My condolences to the victims of this incident.
    Everything's Eventual...

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    87 confirmed deaths and 184 injured. And you know some people are just going to have a field day with this but ignore them. My condolences to the victims of this incident.
    Why's tha-?

*remembers date*

Oh....oh yeah.

Hidden:

Yeah, I agree with you; listening to those kind of people bug the crap out of me. "Someone died in a tragedy somewhere in the middle east! Yippie! 'Merica is avenged!"

I however am spending today doing more positive things.

Like watching "Unexpected Jihad" video after video, having Sundowner as my avatar, and enjoying all of the conspiracy parody memes.

Like this absolute masterpiece.
    Hidden:

『Wake Me Up When September Ends』

That title...I can't begin to top that

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information