+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2

of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar

Default Guild Wars 2

So I've been wondering. Is anyone planning on picking up Guild Wars 2 when it's released? A game, which, unlike its predecessor Guild Wars (1) is an MMORPG and not a Co-Op RPG; ArenaNet called Guild Wars (1) a Co-Op RPG and don't refer to it as a (traditional) MMORPG. All you have to do is simply purchase the box; 60$ standard edition, $80 digital deluxe edition, $150 collectors edition; no subscription fee required.

I'm looking forward to it, especially after SW:TOR turned out not to be my cup of tea. (I think I prefer fantasy MMOs over sci-fi MMOs).

Here's the game's website for those curious: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

You can also find much more information scattered around the internet, of course.
    Last edited by The Laughing Man; April 8th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.

Default Re: Guild Wars 2

I got into the original Guild Wars a little too late to ever end up doing much with it. But if this one is free-to-play like its predecessor and I can manage to acquire it fairly early... hellz yeah, I'd be all up in that.
    [ Twitter | deviantART | FanFic: DragonBall GT: Revised | My YouTube ]
    3DS FC: 1504 - 5800 - 6358 // NNID: KaboomKrusader // PSN: KaboomKrusader // Steam: KaboomKrusader

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    I got into the original Guild Wars a little too late to ever end up doing much with it. But if this one is free-to-play like its predecessor and I can manage to acquire it fairly early... hellz yeah, I'd be all up in that.
    It should be pretty easy to acquire--the standard edition anyway--though it did have 1-million beta signups in 48 hours. You can pre-purchase the game starting tomorrow, April 10th, 2012. If you pre-purchase you get a few special, non-gamebreaking in-game items and access to all upcoming beta weekend events; the first, of which, is said to start on April 20th, 2012.

Just wanted to bump this thread, since BWE 2 concluded recently.

I'm still having issues deciding what class I want to make my main. I played necromancer all this weekend, and though I enjoyed it, the type of necromancer I want to play--minion master--isn't viable until late game; forced to play a conditionmancer early on. =(

I may just make my main a warrior or engineer, perhaps a ranger, as I originally planned to do.

the answer is synthetic. zachri's Avatar

I used to love Guild Wars... I played it for a year after my sis stopped me having a WoW character on her account... eventually got my own account but still.
    GW will forever have a place in my heart...
    tempted to get GW2...
    just the load times < / 3

Thou shalt be ended in the name of the League of zachri & the Lawfare arm-y.

not Witcher, not Wizzard Tyndel's Avatar

Funny thing is, I wanted to get Guild Wars in 2007, but figured: 'Nah, I wait for GW2 since they say it's supposed to release in 2009'. Four years later I decided to purchase GW to get into the lore and Guild Wars 2 was still not on the schedule.

But yeah, I'm anticipating GW2 much, mostly for 3 reasons.
    1. No subscription.
    2. Not another WoW-clone, like Rift, SWTOR etc. in almost every way.
    3. Really engaging PvP, my main gripe with the first game was the static PvP environment. Getting into GvG and some other formats was pretty much impossible due to the veterans. WvWvW will change that, and I'm glad since I will probably be more of a casual player starting next year.

Favourite class atm is Engineer, gotta love those Rocket Launchers. <3

I played Guild Wars 1 pretty much from the launch. A couple of years later I had done everything there is to be done and decided to take a break while waiting for GW2 (this was around late 2008, I think). Picked up LoTRO to keep me occupied in the meantime. I didn't believe the wait would be THIS long, though! But it looks like GW2 will finally be out this year.

I've pre-ordered and played in the beta weekends and I have to say I'm incredibly excited. The game has so many cool features: event system, no more traditional "kill 10 rats and bring me the head of the main rat" - quests and a system that rewards you for playing together instead of fighting each other for mobs. I loved the rez system, people actually helping each other to be more effective.

My class choice in GW1 was always the mesmer. It was very hard to play but very satisfying, especially in PvP, although I'm more of a PvE person generally. GW2 mesmer looks like they haven't quite figured out yet what they want to do with it (as the devs confessed; mesmer will go through lots of tweaks before release) but it looks like it will still be my class of choice. I also like the ranger (playing a hunter in LoTRO) and guardian a lot, especially the latter one with group-wide buffs.
    "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see."

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

I'll propably try it out when it comes out. Swtor thrusted me into mmos and if I'm still around at launch I'll be playin this game.
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I played Guild Wars 1 pretty much from the launch. A couple of years later I had done everything there is to be done and decided to take a break while waiting for GW2 (this was around late 2008, I think). Picked up LoTRO to keep me occupied in the meantime. I didn't believe the wait would be THIS long, though! But it looks like GW2 will finally be out this year.

I've pre-ordered and played in the beta weekends and I have to say I'm incredibly excited. The game has so many cool features: event system, no more traditional "kill 10 rats and bring me the head of the main rat" - quests and a system that rewards you for playing together instead of fighting each other for mobs. I loved the rez system, people actually helping each other to be more effective.

My class choice in GW1 was always the mesmer. It was very hard to play but very satisfying, especially in PvP, although I'm more of a PvE person generally. GW2 mesmer looks like they haven't quite figured out yet what they want to do with it (as the devs confessed; mesmer will go through lots of tweaks before release) but it looks like it will still be my class of choice. I also like the ranger (playing a hunter in LoTRO) and guardian a lot, especially the latter one with group-wide buffs.
    Game needs less elementalists; too many right now, since AoE dominates WvWvW.

not Witcher, not Wizzard Tyndel's Avatar

A little update post:
    The game will be out on the 28th of August. The next and last BWE is in two days, all races are finally playable.
    Some cash shop details have come out and they are: 10$ for 800 Gems, but also 10€/8.50 for 800 Gems which is a little unfair to Europeans. Considering the prices I will likely buy gems with gold.
    Some questions: Anyone in a recruiting Guild atm? Which world/server will you choose? I'm still undecided.

check up from the neck up eerie's Avatar

So I thought I'd bring this guy back since we're so close. Who's planning on playing, what are you planning to roll as your main, have you played the beta at all/watched any youtube videos of it and if so what are your thoughts so far? I'll update my opinion another time - right now I'm not sure what I'm planning on rolling as my main.. possibly an Asura Necromancer, or a Mesmer (not sure what race, possibly human or sylvari.) In GW my main was a Ranger, but I loved Dervish. Gonna miss that class.

the answer is synthetic. zachri's Avatar

Holy sh-
    I had no idea when it would be out.
    Kind of gutted it's released within a months span of MoP... cause I really wanna try out Guild Wars 2, but at the same time I want to continue with WoW . , .;;
    DAMNITALL.

Thou shalt be ended in the name of the League of zachri & the Lawfare arm-y.

GW2>WoW

Personally I'll have to wait a few more months before getting a new computer suitable for playing games on but until then it should be clear which class is the most fun to play with.

3DS Code: 1435-3516-1823

I have pre-purchased and will be playing. I think I'll still go with the mesmer, although the playstyle is a lot different than in GW1. Haven't actually settled on the race yet, but I'm thinking human - those scholar armors look great on men.

Nnnnnnngggh! I never play MMOs, never cared about WoW. But the more I see of Guild Wars 2, the more I'm interested! I really like the idea of the Sylvari, and the Norn look cool to play too.

Someone help me!!!!! I don't need a time-waster!!

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Nnnnnnngggh! I never play MMOs, never cared about WoW. But the more I see of Guild Wars 2, the more I'm interested! I really like the idea of the Sylvari, and the Norn look cool to play too.

Someone help me!!!!! I don't need a time-waster!!
    Don't deny it. You want a time-waster.

Heir of night and time Taggerung's Avatar

Sylvari Mesmer :)
    I love you, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Wasn't there another thread for GW2 before this?

Really want to pick this up, had Guild Wars from around when it first came out, and it was consistently fun whenever I picked it up again after having a break from it... but I've only got a laptop and I'm not sure if it's good enough to actually run the game without it having an awful amount of lag and stuff. Should probably check that out. If I do manage to pick it up, and I plan to do so eventually if I don't get it at launch, I'll probably stick with human or charr in the beginning... and give most of the professions a chance, since they all sounded so cool.
    "As long as I'm alive, I want to die having risen just one step higher."

I'm still wondering why during today's 4 hour stress test of the game I ran at about an average of 30 FPS, when, in the last 4 hour stress test (and even the small 1 hour one)--and--Beta Weekend 3 I ran at about an average of 50-70 FPS.

Because of the nature of the stress test. They said it was going to run crappy based on the things they were doing for testing.

I got a chance to play the stress test a little today, so it should be a given that I'll be playing come release. Some of my old pvp buddies talked me into it, since it doesn't require a huge time commitment like most mmo's. I was able to engineer long enough to decide that I didn't like it that much. Thief or warrior is probably next on my list. Having said that, there were a couple of warriors and necros who ripped my face off today (granted I was touching engineer for the first time), so I'll probably go with thief. I've always felt a little guilty when I play a flavor of the month class.

Putting the stress test specific issues aside, I think this game looks really good. It looks like they actually nailed large scale pvp, and I haven't seen a game really do that since Dark Ages of Camelot. Anyone can make a warzone, so then all they have to focus on is class balance. GW2 looks like they weren't willing to stop there. I'm pretty excited for this one, actually.

The initial plan is that we're going to wind up on Eridot's Terrace, but it's not set in stone. I suppose with WvWvW, everyone's got a chance to see each other at some point.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information