+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 231

Thread: Slavery in One Piece

  1. #201
    The Antagonist DarkFalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    lost in time-space

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukishima View Post
    This is what I'm talking about:



    I've never said he said it on this thread.
    The context makes her/his statement even worse, it's like s/he doesn't have slightest idea what s/he is talking about. Can't blame her/him, many people act that way.

  2. #202
    Depraved Prince of AP Monkey King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southwest Connecticut, US

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    He/she is just a guy/gal with a very controversial opinion on the Internet. I've learned how to live with those without having to resort to inflammatory replies.
    How the hell are you going to make a "I've learned to cope and chill" post when your main point of contention is that you're freaking out over harsh words lol.

    God I never should have stopped posting in this section.

  3. #203

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    How the hell are you going to make a "I've learned to cope and chill" post when your main point of contention is that you're freaking out over harsh words lol.

    God I never should have stopped posting in this section.
    I'm freaking out? How? I just want this to not end in a flame war.

  4. #204

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    My mind usually wanders around when I read topics like these. This topic about slavery when it brought up koala, I then saw whoevers signature showing the harpy girl. Granted I keep trying to read Oda's mind even if I end up being wrong nearly every time, I oddly enough thought to compare Harpy girl (Mone) with Koala.
    A rather bizarre and random guess I know, just felt I had to share it. Its not like brownbeard looks the same or even has the same name either.
    (I wont be surprised if I end up being horribly wrong either)

    Regardless, on to the Slavery roll:
    Slavery belongs to our human nature, and no matter what we do we'll still retain it no matter what we do to eliminate class systems. Because we have a ridiculous thing such as social ranking within groups and communities, people who are further down the ladder often end up being the victims of those who want to climb the same ladder.
    Though far from the idea of slavery in its general term, the mindset comes from the same origin. Pushing other people down the "ladder" to heighten yourself, if anything to provide self esteem and belittle the victim.
    Victims of such people are terrorized relentlessly by this and end up emotionally damaged, in relation to how slaves are. Everyone wants out of the bottom of the ladder, so typically victims will desperately turn against others he/she considers weaker to become like those who are climbing up.

    Discrimination is not very different, rather almost the same. Only real difference is that its aimed at people who are different, rather than weaker compared to you, be it social status or physical health.
    The whole deal with discrimination going on between humans and fish folk is a rather clear example of this. Humans resent and belittle fishmen, causing the fishmen to grow alienated from humanity and inherit the same attitude back at them. Pride here and there, its expressed every time how its been spiraling downards in a neverending cycle.


    Thats my take on the slavery in One Piece. Even if very little has to do with the ongoing slavery, its the idea I get from seeing it. A good thing too, since it exists still today (even if slavery is outlawed, it still retains its shape in lesser forms).

  5. #205

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post

    God I never should have stopped posting in this section.
    That's an awful thing to regret.
    This section is awful.

  6. #206

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Peal View Post
    we do not need people posting entire essays as to why this person should be banned for his unpopular viewpoint. It's not inflammatory, it's not trolling, it's just a really unlikable opinion. Deal. With. It.
    Nobody has done that, at all. There has however been a huge amount of mocking and joking.

    Which you just have to deal with when you claim that being a slave is kinda better than being employed in the US in the 2000's

  7. #207
    Depraved Prince of AP Monkey King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southwest Connecticut, US

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    No they're right guys, we need a perfectly fair and open forum to all viewpoints no matter how extreme and offensive.
    We all ought to aim for that high standard known as the TV Tropes Forum.

  8. #208
    POE WUN BGR Rob Goku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    aboard the Nautilus

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Well.

    I had hoped that Amachizzle would come back into this thread to either defend, or clarify himself... or at least read what everyone had to say to him and take that all in, while giving everyone a chance to speak their mind.

    It's been a day and a half, and that has not happened. And this thread is only getting worse.

    So, I'm doing what I should have done yesterday. If anyone has complaints, send them to me.

    3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

  9. #209
    POE WUN BGR Rob Goku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    aboard the Nautilus

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Upon request, am reopening thread, against my better judgment. Keep it civil this time folks, the troll is banned.

    3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

  10. #210
    air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Suuuper Mecha

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Well, I said this before, but Fisher Tiger's story didn't make sense to me at the beginning. Because, he already knew about slavery and how it worked, so why attack Mariejoa now? What did he find in his journey that made him like that?

    But when he revealed that he was a slave himself... everything started to make sense again.

    What's worst than slavery? Being a slave yourself!


    lol this is a fast post
    Last edited by asm00200; April 16th, 2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: youcanclosethethreadnow

  11. #211
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Squawk

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    What's worst than slavery? Being a slave yourself!
    I wonder if simply caring for others who are in a worse spot than you are, is more honorable than what Tiger did.
    It's the old Tiger/Otohime debate.

  12. #212

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Now that this is back up,

    I always wondered why the Marines and World Government were so lenient to their form of "Justice" when it came to the Human Shops when it came to pirates selling humans and merfolk. I know they obviously don't care about whether or not the Celestial Dragons/Nobles buy and own slaves, but why don't/didn't they prosecute the slave traders/buyers who aren't "Nobles", when they're head quarters were practically right beside it.

  13. #213
    air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Suuuper Mecha

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    @TCS: Well to be honest, what Tiger did was crazy. I mean, you don't attack the capital of the World Government by yourself just like that. No matter who you are.
    Though, I would give him credit for his planing (if he actually did), because seriously who would expect you to come back just after you escaped?


    What happened after that wasn't much of a choice since they wouldn't let him be, and he would never agree to go back to prison.


    Y'know? People should discuss how Oda used different characters in the series in different situations to show Slavery and its effects on them, not just Tiger and Otohime.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by nodensuke View Post
    Now that this is back up,

    I always wondered why the Marines and World Government were so lenient to their form of "Justice" when it came to the Human Shops when it came to pirates selling humans and merfolk. I know they obviously don't care about whether or not the Celestial Dragons/Nobles buy and own slaves, but why don't/didn't they prosecute the slave traders/buyers who aren't "Nobles", when they're head quarters were practically right beside it.
    Hidden:

  14. #214

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    @TCS: Well to be honest, what Tiger did was crazy. I mean, you don't attack the capital of the World Government by yourself just like that. No matter who you are.
    Though, I would give him credit for his planing (if he actually did), because seriously who would expect you to come back just after you escaped?

    What happened after that wasn't much of a choice since they wouldn't let him be, and he would never agree to go back to prison.


    Y'know? People should discuss how Oda used different characters in the series in different situations to show Slavery and its effects on them, not just Tiger and Otohime.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---



    That's the page that made me want to post what I did; they cut connections with the "Public Employment Security Office" because they knew they'd be tied directly to it when people started asking questions.

    Before that they did nothing about anyone who dealt with it, whether they be slave traders or pirates who sold them.

    It just doesn't make sense to me why they capture pirates and bounty hunters, but leave (pirate) slave traders just because their business is related to the Tenryuunito.

  15. #215
    air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Suuuper Mecha

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    But they are the Tenryuubito! It's understandable why they don't or can't do anything about it. The Marines don't have any power against the Tenryuubito since they're protected by the World Government, which basically rule over the Marines. And if you know the connection between the WG and the Tenryuubito then you'd have your answer.

    Edit: As for other people being involved in the slave trade, well, you can't stop people from doing what you yourself do. Also the Marines won't go catch slaves by themselves so why not just let other people do that, and you stay away from it.
    Last edited by asm00200; April 17th, 2012 at 09:05 AM.

  16. #216

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    But they are the Tenryuubito! It's understandable why they don't or can't do anything about it.
    I didn't say anything about prosecuting the Tenryuubito, I know they can't do anything about them... I said the pirate/slave traders
    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    you can't stop people from doing what you yourself do.
    What kind of example is that? They cut off connections with the Human Shop so they could say they had nothing to do with itw..Wouldn't it make sense to prosecute the odd slave trader to keep up appearances?

  17. #217

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Being a slave is a bad thing however if you're lucky you might be able to escape to keep living even thou you have to live with the fact you were a slave it's easier to be rescued than to be brought back to life if you die unless you're Brook!

    The only good things that came out of slavery in One piece is that some of the slaves that escaped at least got a devil fruit out of it such as Hancock and her sisters which helps stop them becoming slaves again because they can defend themselves better however devil fruit users sell for high prices on the auction house so it also paints a target on their head also i think Bonney is a former slave that might have been forced to eat a devil fruit as well because Akainu seemed to want to take her back for her fruit and it seemed to apply that she was with them before she became a pirate also the fact she hates them and seemed to be moving around like the fishman pirates also i think she was one of the slaves Tiger freed.

    The other good things is that Tiger might not have made the fishman pirates if he had not been a slave because a lot of them were former slaves that could not stay at fishman island so they had to move around as wanted people and we have the value of how much the races are worth which gave us a list of the races in One piece!

  18. #218
    air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Suuuper Mecha

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by nodensuke View Post
    I didn't say anything about prosecuting the Tenryuubito, I know they can't do anything about them... I said the pirate/slave traders
    But where would the Tenryuubito buy their slaves from? If the Marines stop the other traders, they basically are interfering with the Tenryuubito's business. A mermaid like Kaimi wouldn't be available if they stopped people like Peterman from doing what they do. And Peterman wouldn't be in the slave trade if he couldn't make a normal living from it.

    What kind of example is that? They cut off connections with the Human Shop so they could say they had nothing to do with itw..Wouldn't it make sense to prosecute the odd slave trader to keep up appearances?
    They didn't cut off connection, they lost it. And the Tenryuubito affair already caught their attention and they had to deal with it. And again, the idea of that panel isn't that Slave trade is illegal, it just a way to show how some people change the names of something to make it not sound so bad (at least to them).

    Y'know, rather than saying a slave you say worker while treating them worse than slaves.

  19. #219

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    But where would the Tenryuubito buy their slaves from? If the Marines stop the other traders, they basically are interfering with the Tenryuubito's business. A mermaid like Kaimi wouldn't be available if they stopped people like Peterman from doing what they do. And Peterman wouldn't be in the slave trade if he couldn't make a normal living from it.


    They didn't cut off connection, they lost it. And the Tenryuubito affair already caught their attention and they had to deal with it. And again, the idea of that panel isn't that Slave trade is illegal, it just a way to show how some people change the names of something to make it not sound so bad (at least to them).

    Y'know, rather than saying a slave you say worker while treating them worse than slaves.
    I don't mean bust ALL the slave traders, but at least some to show they care a little. You're right though, it is all about the Tenryuubito, I get that.
    I thought they cut off connection, and I know the panel isn't to show that.

  20. #220
    The Flying Blue Cat Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Slavery in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by nodensuke View Post
    I don't mean bust ALL the slave traders, but at least some to show they care a little. You're right though, it is all about the Tenryuubito, I get that.
    I thought they cut off connection, and I know the panel isn't to show that.
    Thats what I thought you meant. I cannot see them going after people like Peterman, who seems to operate only as a slaver trader on Sanboady ... directly in the Tenryuubito's backyard.

    But I would think they would go after people like Macro, pirates who partake in slavetrade. I mean, the marines would have areas they could ambush the pirates. If they split the timing of catching the pirates -some before/some after -the sale of their captures to the auction houses, then that ploy would still have the slaves provided for the Tenryuubito (between the odd pirate sales and non-pirate traders) and then have some rescued from the pirates wanna-be traders so that the story of "mariens ARE helping against slavery" would get out to fool the general population.

    That would be a win-win for the marines, they can not stop all the slave traders since the Tenryuubito want slaves, but they need to seem like they do something in order to keep the genreal populace to believe in them esp since the general thought is that slavery is banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    I must have stumbled onto a Bleach chapter discussion or something, I could have sworn I clicked One Piece.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts