+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wasteland 2

Default Wasteland 2

From the creators of the original Fallout and many other games, the original Wasteland was what inspired the original Fallout as it is. All you need to do if you want it is to help fund it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-2?ref=history

I guess Double Fine's Kickstarter project actually did help kick off what might become a new trend.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Re: Wasteland 2

Yeah. This is exactly what I'd hoped would happen - known talented developers using kickstarter because publishers won't green light their projects.
    Really looking forward to this as well.

Their rewards are awesome, must be a bit of a nightmare for collectors - every upgrade brings more physical swag.

Yeah. I already spent $100 on Double Fine's project, so I'll probably only be able to afford $15 or $30 for this one.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Their rewards are awesome, must be a bit of a nightmare for collectors - every upgrade brings more physical swag.
    Yeah. That actually is a bit of a pet peeve of mine for these types of things. Like I said though, after Double Fine Adventure, 15-30's about all I can afford. The most I can ever see going for for these types of projects would be $100 if I'm a big fan of either the genre, series, or company.

This is amazing. Thank you, Kickstarter. Thank you, Brian Fargo.

If this is a birth of a trend I couldn't get any more happy. I prefer to be cautious about all these affairs but it's so easy to get optimistic about the future. What could be coming next? A new System Shock? Dungeon Keeper? Freespace? MechWarrior? Arcanum?

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Well, we have to limit it to where well known lead developers have:

- Their own studios. I mean I'd love a new turn based strategy game from Julian Gollop that he wants to make(ie no tom clancy trappings), but at the moment he works for ubi and doesn't have his own studio, so that wouldn't be possible.

- Are either trying to make a new game in an old mold(Schafer), or rather amazingly have managed to pick up an IP they previously worked on (Fargo). I think EA still have the rights to Dungeon Keeper for example, but I'd love to see Molyneux make a game in that style.

....Braben should totally use kickstarter to make Elite 4.

Not too related, but it does still have to do with part of what Kickstarter's about on the relations between developers and publishers.
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...f-devs-abysmal
    Very interesting read for those interested in the topic. Also mentions the incident with Obsidian and Metacritic.

There's a very likely chance of that happening since there'll be at least one final burst of donation near the end of the event.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information