+ Reply to Thread
Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142
Results 2,821 to 2,831 of 2831

Thread: The Viz Media Thread

Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    My mistake. I didn't buy them so I didn't pay much attention to the numbers. BUT

They may not have added a subtitle or changed the number, but they DID change the spines from white to black and made it veeeeery clear there was a break point, which was the change I had observed casually..

That's clearly marking the Shippuden split in all but name. And they also sell the big box set containing the first 27.

I suspect the only reason they didn't change the numbering is because it was selling like hotcakes at that point and they had just spent several months doing a speed up release to catch up to the japanese run.
    I'm fairly sure Kishimoto himself split the series. If I remember correctly, at the end of the last Pre-Timeskip chapter, there's some text that says "End of Part 1". It's in the German version, so I assume it's also in the original. So it's not completely a Viz thing.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

so for some reason Viz is going to a 5 month wait between Volume 92 and Vol 93 which by my count would be the longest ever wait between volumes for this series

Assuming it's not an inaccurate placeholder it's probably an attempt to avoid gaining on the Japanese release since it seems to be slated to only release three volumes in 2019 rather than the usual four.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

So, I saw they uploaded the cover of volume 92. It's odd. The numbers are always obnoxiously big and they change the title color, but it's otherwise the same cover. For 92, Viz also zoomed in the image and changed the background color from red to purple. I wonder what the purpose was for them making so many changes? I think it looks worse.

Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    https://imgur.com/4JWrsqfSo, I saw they uploaded the cover of volume 92. It's odd. The numbers are always obnoxiously big and they change the title color, but it's otherwise the same cover. For 92, Viz also zoomed in the image and changed the background color from red to purple. I wonder what the purpose was for them making so many changes? I think it looks worse.

https://imgur.com/4JWrsqfhttps://i.imgur.com/4JWrsqf.png
    Oh wow, I pay close attention to the covers normally but I didn't notice this one had so much of a difference. If they'd done the usual thing of just moving everything up a bit above their line on the bottom and only cutting a bit off the top it would have looked so much better for Robin if nothing else.

Background colour tweaks are fairly common though. I think the reasoning probably has something to do with the spines. A lot of the Japanese covers have backgrounds that gradient into white either at the top or at the bottom, and I don't think Viz likes the way they break up the solid colours along the spine (except for the one or two times they let it through so who knows). They've also had to change it in the past because of the title colour changes. Volume 50 went from black to purple because of the black Sabaody header. This time, I'd point to the spine again. They might have thought the original red was too close to the Wano banner being used there, so they made it darker and purpler for contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Assuming it's not an inaccurate placeholder it's probably an attempt to avoid gaining on the Japanese release since it seems to be slated to only release three volumes in 2019 rather than the usual four.
    In this era of simulpubs ... is catching up so bad these days? Kodansha has consistently kept Attack on Titan only 3-4 months behind the japanese release since very early in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffy View Post
    In this era of simulpubs ... is catching up so bad these days? Kodansha has consistently kept Attack on Titan only 3-4 months behind the japanese release since very early in the series.
    I vaguely recall it being said in the somewhere perhaps in the podcast that the delay gives time for redrawing the sound effects, extra proofreading and working with printers, since Viz doesn't print in-house. The extra time for sfx art I get, since full redraws are a lot more work than the way Kodansha handles them, but it's pretty rare for the translation to change enough between the WSJ release and the volumes to be noticable. And even Viz manages to occasionally simulpub big releases like the last volume of the Evangelion manga, so I'm sure they could rekerjig the system to make it work.

Or at least use the extra time to find a printer less likely to missalign the spines, just saying...

The Ace novels are getting an U.S. release.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...novels/.151867

I'm having such a hard time on the Viz manga site, all I want is to read a series, I'm trying to read Magi, but I can't seem to get to the page that lets me read all the chapters, it just asks me if I want to buy the manga volumes, and that's not what I want, anyone know how I'm supposed to navigate this site, I feel like a complete idiot, soon I'm just gonna cancel my membership

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I'm having such a hard time on the Viz manga site, all I want is to read a series, I'm trying to read Magi, but I can't seem to get to the page that lets me read all the chapters, it just asks me if I want to buy the manga volumes, and that's not what I want, anyone know how I'm supposed to navigate this site, I feel like a complete idiot, soon I'm just gonna cancel my membership
    Only Shonen Jump manga and a select few Shueisha manga can be read on the membership backlog.
    Magi isn't a part of Jump nor is it owned by Shueisha, meaning it doesn't fall under that criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Only Shonen Jump manga and a select few Shueisha manga can be read on the membership backlog.
    Magi isn't a part of Jump nor is it owned by Shueisha, meaning it doesn't fall under that criteria.
    Thank You very much

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information