Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Statistics Thread.

Default Re: Official Statistics Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by piratemarimo View Post
    what the hell is with this specific number??? You were keeping track? *mind blown*

hmm.... not sure how to feel about bi-annual tournaments. it does take a lot of energy out of a person... this year has a completely different feel to it than last year, though. Nia and Nolus are just two new participants who have made this a whole new experience.
    I just counted my post count from both Buggy matches
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    You are a treasure.

I tend to enjoy the tournament more than the time when there isn't a tournament. So bi-annually, while not a bad idea, is not on my wish list.

Ultimately it's up to the event staff, though, since they're the ones who have to run it all.

I think Urouge sums up my opinion about it.

Half of the remaining characters haven't made it this far before. I mean, I get your argument and all, but there's plenty of variation in the results. Maybe Luffy vs. Zoro would be a boring outcome, but there's enough variation amongst the other candidates.

I dunno, I feel like the tournament is a huge draw for activity and all. There are a variety of ways to make it fresh. (for example, I had an idea about a 256-character tournament with 4 way matches instead of one-on-one. Pretty much an accelerated, far more brutal tournament... only a suggestion). Meh, maybe I'm one of those people who look forward to the tournament all-year round...

EDIT: Cyber-Robin also makes an excellent point. Sometimes, new characters show up making one-off appearances. Would Otohime have had this much momentum if we had this tournament in 2012?
    Even though you're right to some extent, you sort of missed my point. The very top keeps changing, I admit that, but if you take a look at the earlier rounds, you begin to see the same characters over and over again. It's rare for other than those already popular characters to rise there unless it's A) a completely new one (Otohime), or B) backed by a forum movement (Hattori, Dr. BB, Benn, etc..). Bi-annual tournaments, or at least a break year, would give more time for character development and more time for new characters to appear.

And let's stop to think about those new characters for a while, shall we. While it is true that characters like Shirahoshi and Otohime wouldn't get that far without the momentum gained from the feel of novelty they represent, there's also another thing that should be noted. That is the quality and the real likeability of a character. I hate to say this, because I know this will insult some people, but new characters like Shirahoshi rarely deserve all those votes and attention they get. People love the novelty value, but when they reread the new chapters/arcs, their opinions usually change. And why? Because the novelty value is gone by then and they're able to see what the character really is like. All the stupid lines, plotholes, inconsistent motives, etc. show when the scales drop off your eyes. I was pretty pissed with Shirahoshi advancing from the prelims and Otohime going so far, because I never thought they were that good characters. People were just hyping the fishmen to heavens because they were new and exciting. This is another thing a break year would fix. Give people more time to get used to the new characters, and by doing that, give the characters that really would deserve more attention what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Urouge View Post
    I tend to enjoy the tournament more than the time when there isn't a tournament. So bi-annually, while not a bad idea, is not on my wish list.

Ultimately it's up to the event staff, though, since they're the ones who have to run it all.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I think as well. I love the tournament format and I would probably quit the forum if somebody told me there will be no more of them. I'm just thinking of ways to make the tournament experience more enjoyable for a bigger number of users.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Nia and Nolus are just two new participants who have made this a whole new experience.
    It was a pleasure campaigning for the unpopular ones

Personally, I don't mind the tournament being annual at all. To me, it didn't feel less awesome/like it got less participation than last year's either. *shrugs*

Nia and Nolus are just two new participants who have made this a whole new experience.
    I'm just gonna interpret "new experience" as something positive

Quote Originally Posted by Nia View Post
    Personally, I don't mind the tournament being annual at all. To me, it didn't feel less awesome/like it got less participation than last year's either. *shrugs*

How far did Hattori get last year?
    You are a treasure.

How can it be negative?

Quote Originally Posted by metteminne View Post
    I don't think Hattori was even IN the tourney last year.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Quote Originally Posted by metteminne View Post
    Hattori lost against Gin during the first round.
    I kinda missed the beginning of the tournament last year, still being a newbie and all, otherwise things would have been different

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    How can it be negative?
    Beats me

Hattori lost against Gin during the first round.
    I kinda missed the beginning of the tournament last year, still being a newbie and all, otherwise things would have been different
    Hattori will reach round 2 next year!
    One piece is awesome

And oh... I disagree. Otohime's a great character and deserves all the attention and votes she have gotten. End of story.

Now stop being so... over-something. I'll find the right word for it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Fist View Post
    i can answer this accurately. Let me see if i get time from today's architecture assignment otherwise will find it tomorrow. I also plan to post word cloud at some stage.
    You do good work. Looking forward to that.
    Last edited by Hiroy; August 12th, 2011 at 11:20 AM.

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

Of course it's positive Nia. Not saying last year didn't have some serious dedication, but I think it's safe to say I wasn't the only one blown away by your efforts. It took me about half a minute to understand who Gin was. I kept thinking Bleach. :P

I can agree with Otohime deserving to go far, but not Shirahoshi. the three princes on the other hand, despite getting off-screened, are still awesome to me, and it's a shame that they didn't make the cut.

I bow down to Nia's dedication. Her campaigns are awesome and while she was at it, she even conquered APForums. Just look at all those toris

I would not diss Shira too. I like her and surely she has to be better than a mass of characters. That and she didn't even make "far" at all really. Whatever little attention she got at the time is good. It's usually the case for current "centric characters" in the manga.

But mind me. I find the whole "deserving of votes" thing rather silly. It's like saying "why doesn't everyone vote like I do?".

It's all for fun!

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

I love how even Monkey King has a 'tori avatar (the most intimidating, badass one incidentally).

Aside from Keimi, Otohime, and Fish-Nami (), the mermaids in OP just aren't to my liking. Or mermaids in general as a matter of fact. Mermen are more interesting, at least as far as design goes.

I love how even Monkey King has a 'tori avatar (the most intimidating, badass one incidentally).

Aside from Keimi, Otohime, and Fish-Nami (), the mermaids in OP just aren't to my liking. Or mermaids in general as a matter of fact. Mermen are more interesting, at least as far as design goes.
    When I hear or read Mermen, I always think of Merman from He-man and MoTU. Funny he'd be a fishman if he was an OP character...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    But mind me. I find the whole "deserving of votes" thing rather silly. It's like saying "why doesn't everyone vote like I do?".
    Hah, yeah, that wasn't worded too well. People have different tastes and I'm fine with that. It'd be idiotic and naive to complain about it. I actually rather liked Otohime and am indifferent towards Shirahoshi. They were probably bad examples, I apologize.

The main point was that some characters seem to get more attention when they're first seen and are soon forgotten, suggesting that people didn't actually love them much, but rather, were enthralled by their novelty value. Those characters sometimes steal places from other characters that might do well, but are never given the opportunity. That, of course, is just the nature of the tournament and not really something that could be changed. It's only something that wouldn't happen so often, if the tournaments were held every other year.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

If this were a tournament judging the quality of a character or how much a character deserves our votes, then we'd have the same winners every time.

It's a popularity contest. We're not here to scrutinize a character based on their quality or their characteristics. We're here to vote for who we like.
    Last edited by Kitsune Inferno; August 12th, 2011 at 03:08 PM.

Thread Information