+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Default Re: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

So we've all notice the Battle Royal, the Running Man, and Roller Ball similarities, but have any of us noticed the Achewood similarities?

Haven't read or seen this yet, but I'm very interested in it. However, has anyone here about the rampant racism that a bunch of Hunger Games fans apparently showed recently?

I've been laughing my ass off. Basically a bunch of people have been complaining that the movie made a character named Rue black. They claim that making her black (For some reason) makes her less innocent and makes them less inclined to care about her so the impact of her death is lost to them and that ruined the movie.
    That's racist and pants-shittingly stupid on its own, but the part that really REALLY makes me laugh VERY hard?
    The Book specifically describes her as black. Let me repeat that for effect, the Book specifically describes her as black.

That would be like going in to see the first Harry Potter movie and going "Wait, why did they give him glasses?! How am I supposed to root for some four-eyes NERD!?". only with, you know, like a ton more racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Haven't read or seen this yet, but I'm very interested in it. However, has anyone here about the rampant racism that a bunch of Hunger Games fans apparently showed recently?

I've been laughing my ass off. Basically a bunch of people have been complaining that the movie made a character named Rue black. They claim that making her black (For some reason) makes her less innocent and makes them less inclined to care about her so the impact of her death is lost to them and that ruined the movie.
    That's racist and pants-shittingly stupid on its own, but the part that really REALLY makes me laugh VERY hard?
    The Book specifically describes her as black. Let me repeat that for effect, the Book specifically describes her as black.

That would be like going in to see the first Harry Potter movie and going "Wait, why did they give him glasses?! How am I supposed to root for some four-eyes NERD!?". only with, you know, like a ton more racism.
    Yeah, I had posted a link for some "pants-shittingly" stupid tweets about it. It's so mind boggling that that would matter or effect how a scene feels.

~My Harem, S-Rank~

I haven't read the books yet but I watched the movie,the story was great but I didn't like the ending that much.

Somehow got my hands on the books and literally read the first in one sitting. Just as Flux said, it was a real page turner!
    Spoiler:
    I absolutely love the way the author handles stressful urgent situations. I think the part where she was stung by the tracker jackers was handled so well I was feling trippy just reading through it. And I think I discovered a stealth jab at twilight there lol.
    Most of the characters could have been handled better. Most of them were a rather underdeveloped blob of names and district numbers. But those that mattered were handled well. Little Rue, I cared about most. You just don't kill of an innocent fictional kid on my watch! DAMN YOU ALL! Her death almost got me a little upset, if it weren't for the fact I saw it coming. She had to go for Katniss to have more motivation to kick the capitols ass. The part where she receives bread from Rue's district gave this even more emotion. Also I was rooting for Foxface because she was a glorious little bastard. When we are talking about good side characters, this is it. She didn't even have a single line of dialogue but all her antics made me laugh. The rest of the cast was hard to keep apart. But it did no harm. I can see however how this would make the movie counterpart confusing and a little hard to follow.

I also started the seocnd book. And I don't know why but this one kinda sucked for me and I am too bored to read it to the end.
    I think the shift from a gritty action story, sprinkled with a bit of romance here and there to a love story set in an atmosphere of survival made a difference for me. Bleh...Let's see if it gets a bit better as I force myself onward. Maybe this might have been a stronger experience, if it were just one book with a more poignant ending.

Quote Originally Posted by WarshipArc View Post
    So we've all notice the Battle Royal, the Running Man, and Roller Ball similarities, but have any of us noticed the Achewood similarities?
    This is delicious

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post

Yeah you joking, right Rin? Please say this is a really bad joke or I won't be able to live on this planet anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    Maybe this might have been a stronger experience, if it were just one book with a more poignant ending.
    I came to this exact conclusion after reading the books. Not that it's a bad series, but it's three books for the sake of being three books.
    My 3DS friend code is 4012-5016-7408.
    Let's smash!

Just finished the final book of the series. All I can say it was pretty good. I shed a few tears during some of the final half of the book. I will say that all three books are pretty good reads.

So I finished the book and hyped it a bit and got two of my friends to read it (I actually sent one my copy of the book in the mail) and she read it in three days and the guy read it in four. Now I and she have seen the film and it's so cool we're all into it now, good for discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Back to sweep the nation!

3DS FC: 1349 5263 4437

Phillip Seymour Hoffman FTW!

Lookin' forward to it.

I can't wait for Catching Fire. The trailer for the movie looks great.

Catching Fire was really great.

Spoiler:
    Jennifer Lawerence did a great job of being Katniss again. The district 11 scene was really sad to me and I tear up. Johanna, and Finnick were just as awesome as they were in the books. Johanna's introduction scene in the movie was really funny and great. All I will say the movie was great in my opinion.
    Last edited by Sano; November 23rd, 2013 at 05:34 PM.

Just got home from seeing Catching Fire. Loved it! I like that it was close enough to the book, but without going into too much detail. Great movie, looking forward to Mocking Jay! Hoping it will be better than the book, mostly because it was so depressing and hard to finish.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information