+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 740

Thread: Character Names FAQ

  1. #441

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    The nice thing about fictional names though, is that you can bend some of those spelling/pronounciation rules. And as Stephen and Greg have perfectly explained it works pretty well to say Oz and write it down as Odz.



    Oh, so it means that just to please you I have to stop calling him that even though it grew on my while hearing it more then a thousand times in the anime?
    Point 1: And in your head 'sfhfgjhfdhj' is a word. In the English language however it's not. The only thing that supersedes that is the authors desire.

    Point 2: Yes that's right. Because when they were reading the script the writer of said particular episode wrote '"Roofy"' completely ignoring Oda's wish for "Luffy" and it has fuck all to do with the inadequacies of the development of the language?
    I recommend: Peerless Martial God, Renegade Immortal, Gourmet of Another World, Trash of the Counts Family and The Great Ruler

  2. #442
    Upper Class Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
    Point 1: And in your head 'sfhfgjhfdhj' is a word. In the English language however it's not. The only thing that supersedes that is the authors desire.

    Point 2: Yes that's right. Because when they were reading the script the writer of said particular episode wrote '"Roofy"' completely ignoring Oda's wish for "Luffy" and it has fuck all to do with the inadequacies of the development of the language?
    See, this is exactly why I consider you to be a moron. Thanks for your time. *igno*

  3. #443
    Thank you PN for Avatar ^^ Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    European timezone

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    sabertoothe you know its not spelled "Oz" as in "wizard of Oz" in japaneese right? If it is obviously not supposed to be spelled Oz why should we spell it wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    What the...? Holy smurf am I slow! Until this statement of yours I never even realized that an octopus is actually serving octopusballs. Talk about not seeing the forest because of too many trees. *facepalm*

  4. #444

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    See, this is exactly why I consider you to be a moron. Thanks for your time. *igno*
    I consider you a cock, your point?
    I recommend: Peerless Martial God, Renegade Immortal, Gourmet of Another World, Trash of the Counts Family and The Great Ruler

  5. #445

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    sabertoothe you know its not spelled "Oz" as in "wizard of Oz" in japaneese right? If it is obviously not supposed to be spelled Oz why should we spell it wrong?
    Ok here's a similar way to make the point; le == la == the.

    It's called a translation for a reason. in fact huge blockbuster (though fairly independent in budget) movie was made about the fact things get lost in translation. it happens. A translators goal is to get the message across as intended.
    I recommend: Peerless Martial God, Renegade Immortal, Gourmet of Another World, Trash of the Counts Family and The Great Ruler

  6. #446
    Thank you PN for Avatar ^^ Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    European timezone

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    le =/= la. there is a grammatical difference which does not apply here since this is a name we are talking about.

    but go ahead. call him Oz as long as you recognize that we are free to spell his name however we want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    What the...? Holy smurf am I slow! Until this statement of yours I never even realized that an octopus is actually serving octopusballs. Talk about not seeing the forest because of too many trees. *facepalm*

  7. #447
    YOU ARE BAND! Throes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On the moon.

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    le =/= la. there is a grammatical difference which does not apply here since this is a name we are talking about.
    I'm almost 100% sure that he was talking about a certain other romantic language where le and la both translate to the English "the". But spelling it "Odz" does incite the pronunciation of "Odds" and not "Oz". "Orz" would be a more correct spelling of the pronunciation, so long as the r is kept silent.

  8. #448
    esnes on sekam siht Ali D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    far away from far away places

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    How will it be pronounced in the anime?
    Will certain people mind?
    Is it actually important or will it be?

    So many questions...
    Truth is just one point of view out of billions...

  9. #449
    Thank you PN for Avatar ^^ Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    European timezone

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Throes I know he is talking about the french language. I just do not think it applies here as an argument.

    They both translate to "the" but they aren't interchangeble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    What the...? Holy smurf am I slow! Until this statement of yours I never even realized that an octopus is actually serving octopusballs. Talk about not seeing the forest because of too many trees. *facepalm*

  10. #450

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    my point is as throes said. an English translation should match the pronunciation. all because you spell Tony and Toni differently, doesn't mean that they're not both correct. in this case where it's a name and we're merely translating. the spelling should match the pronunciation until such a point of clarification. if such a point is never reached then at least it's straight forward to the reader. which is surely what's paramount here? that the reader gets the idea as intended which means in this case getting them to say "Oz" in their heads instead of "Odds" or "[Boat] Oars".
    I recommend: Peerless Martial God, Renegade Immortal, Gourmet of Another World, Trash of the Counts Family and The Great Ruler

  11. #451
    Thank you PN for Avatar ^^ Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    European timezone

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    I find your arguments somewhat contradictory. You say that Tony and Toni are both correct but Oggys name should only be written as "Oz"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    What the...? Holy smurf am I slow! Until this statement of yours I never even realized that an octopus is actually serving octopusballs. Talk about not seeing the forest because of too many trees. *facepalm*

  12. #452

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    I find your arguments somewhat contradictory. You say that Tony and Toni are both correct but Oggys name should only be written as "Oz"?
    No, I say Toni and Tony both sound like Tony so as long as the reader gets the name Oz (should that be the decided phonetic translation) then Oz should be used. If the phonetic translation is Oggy then use Oggy/Oggie/Ohggie.

    Just think if you were writing down an incantation for your wife to read and bring you back should you die prematurely. surely you'd want her to say it right if the spelling is contradictory to the sound as the case appears to be here.
    I recommend: Peerless Martial God, Renegade Immortal, Gourmet of Another World, Trash of the Counts Family and The Great Ruler

  13. #453
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    but i can tell you for certain that the amount of words that have silent d's in the English language is below ten
    In fact wikipedia doesn't even know of the existence of a silent D.
    In that case quick, someone call Wednesday and tell him he's cancelled. Although he may take it hard so you might need a handkerchief. It's a shame, he was so handsome when he was happy. But who am I to judge anyway? Maybe we should give the guy a badge for his hard work huh? Before we adjourn this discussion I'd like to say one thing. Have you made any adjustments to your life that are for the better? Really, this may seem like an adjunct discussion but it's important. Okay, that's enough on this topic, Madam, I'll have a cheeseburger please. You know what, fuck that, I'll have a sandwich instead. Sorry to readjust my order like that.

    11 so far

    *This Post Made Possible By The Silent D.
    Facing persecution since December 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Last edited by Greg; December 18th, 2007 at 11:18 PM.

  14. #454
    King C Cap'n Carter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Empire Porky Building

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Wikipedia: the ultimate linguistic resource

    the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

  15. #455

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    In that case quick, someone call Wednesday and tell him he's cancelled. Although he may take it hard so you might need a handkerchief. It's a shame, he was so handsome when he was happy. But who am I to judge anyway? Maybe we should give the guy a badge for his hard work huh? Before we adjourn this discussion I'd like to say one thing. Have you made any adjustments to your life that are for the better? Really, this may seem like an adjunct discussion but it's important. Okay, that's enough on this topic, Madam, I'll have a cheeseburger please. You know what, fuck that, I'll have a sandwich instead. Sorry to readjust my order like that.

    11 so far

    *This Post Made Possible By The Silent D.
    Facing persecution since December 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM
    In all fairness. I'm English. Half the words you listed don't have silent d's. they're actually pronounced. but feel free to continue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post
    Wikipedia: the ultimate linguistic resource
    as much as i'd love to match you for wit. i can't so i'll simply reply seriously. while wikipedia isn't the great resource on earth, it's a simple reference point that works.
    I recommend: Peerless Martial God, Renegade Immortal, Gourmet of Another World, Trash of the Counts Family and The Great Ruler

  16. #456
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    In all fairness. I'm English. Half the words you listed don't have silent d's. they're actually pronounced. but feel free to continue.
    And I'm American and they do, and I speak English as sure as you do. Are you saying it's wrong because of different accents? If you're that concerned about proper pronounciation in the first place, we shouldn't be having this conversation, since オーズ is the correct Japanese pronounciation of Odr.

    I mean so long as we're being accurate and splitting hairs.

    but feel free to continue.

  17. #457
    Thank you PN for Avatar ^^ Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    European timezone

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
    In all fairness. I'm English. Half the words you listed don't have silent d's. they're actually pronounced. but feel free to continue.
    So half of them DO have silent d's?

    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    What the...? Holy smurf am I slow! Until this statement of yours I never even realized that an octopus is actually serving octopusballs. Talk about not seeing the forest because of too many trees. *facepalm*

  18. #458

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    So half of them DO have silent d's?

    ...
    yup half of em do. that's what i said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    And I'm American and they do, and I speak English as sure as you do. Are you saying it's wrong because of different accents? If you're that concerned about proper pronounciation in the first place, we shouldn't be having this conversation, since オーズ is the correct Japanese pronounciation of Odr.

    I mean so long as we're being accurate and splitting hairs.
    Odr = Odar in English, so if his name is Odr and that's the pronunciation, it should be deemed the correct spelling. My point isn't that it's wrong to spell things correctly. it's that in a medium such as this, pronunciation should take precedence over correct spellings.

    Oh and yes, my English vs American thing about about how we pronounce words differently.
    I recommend: Peerless Martial God, Renegade Immortal, Gourmet of Another World, Trash of the Counts Family and The Great Ruler

  19. #459
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Odr = Odar in English, so if his name is Odr and that's the pronunciation, it should be deemed the correct spelling.
    Great! So call him that if that's how you pronounce that particular name where you're from. That's all I'm saying.

    pronunciation should take precedence over correct spellings.
    So, you're cool will Loofy then?

  20. #460

    Default Re: Character Names FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    So, you're cool will Loofy then?
    :lol: just like you pronounce Loosie is spelt Lucy (or because i have a friend who spells it Luccie) hah? wtf? Luffy works. Also i did state that if a correct spelling is given by the author that should always be used. my pronunciation > correct assumed spelling thing only works when there is no spelling presented in the manga.

    Anyway i think this has come to it's natural end. So thanks to all the people that debated it with me. Greg, Gorlom, Throes and Ivotas (even though you exist).
    I recommend: Peerless Martial God, Renegade Immortal, Gourmet of Another World, Trash of the Counts Family and The Great Ruler

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts