Closed Thread
Page 1 of 500 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Funimation dvd discussion II ( UPDATED 8/4/12, FIRST POST FOR F.A.Q)

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Funimation dvd discussion II ( UPDATED 8/4/12, FIRST POST FOR F.A.Q)

Season 4 Part 1 will be released on August 7th:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...em/95056/4/0/0

Season 4 Part 2 will be released October 30:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...95926/4/918/36

Season 5 (episodes 264-336) will be released Summer 2013, "One Piece Film: Strong World" will be released sometime in 2013:

http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog...itions/4470621

----

EDIT: F.A.Q. as of August 2nd, 2012

Spoiler:
    One Piece DVD FAQ:

Q: Up to what episode has been released in FUNimation Dub format?
    A: Episode 205 is the end of FUNimation's "Season 3" and is the current point that FUNimation is at.

Q: Are more episodes coming and when?
    A: Yes, FUNimation has confirmed that they have aquired "Season 4" which consists of the entire Davy Back Fight, Water Seven, and all filler that falls between. This season will encompass Episodes 206-263. Part 1 comes out August 7th, while Part 2 comes out October 30th. In addition, they have acquired "Season 5" which spans the entire Enies Lobby Arc and ends with the Ice Hunter Arc. This season will encopass Episodes 264-336, and will be released in the summer of 2013.

Q: What about the movies?
    A: FUNimation's original license included Movie 8 (Episode of Alabasta) and it was dubbed and released on both DVD and Blu-ray. They have also acquired the rights for "One Piece Film: Strong World", and will release it sometime in 2013.

Q: In what format are the DVDs? IE: How many episodes per set?
    A: There are currently two release formats for One Piece. First a set of 12-14 episode "Voyages" comes out as the initial release for a given season. Then, shortly after the season finishes its run, FUNimation re-releases the series on lower priced "Collection" sets which are each comprised of two voyages in new packaging (22-26 Episodes Each). Despite this, the disc contents are exactly the same as the voyages right down to the menus. Each collection has an MSRP of $34.98, but prices may vary depending on the outlet you purchase from. As the voyages for Seasons 1-3 have finished being released prices will vary on those. Starting with Season 4 however, Voyages will be priced with an MSRP of $39.98.

Q: When should I expect the next release?
    A: Be sure to check different sources/outlets when you can for updates. Suggestions for areas to find these release dates as they come out include amazon.com, rightstuf.com, animenewsnetwork.com, toonezone.net, and crunchyroll.com, among others.

Q: What episode are available in those formats?
    A: Episodes 1-130 are available in Collection format with the rest being available in only Voyages. As the Collections are released, the corresponding Voyage releases are discontinued.

Q: What about Blu-ray? Will the series ever be Re-released in HD?
    A: Episodes 1-206 Were produced in Standard Definition via digital ink and paint, therefore an HD Master of these episodes does not exist. For this reason, any Blu-ray that could be relased of this material would be an upscale, which most Blu-ray players already do automatically to SD DVDs. For this reason, while a Blu-ray release of this material is possible, it isn't exactly sound. Either way, there is no information whatsoever about such a release.

Q: But what about 207+ then?
    A: That is the point by which the series began to be produced in Native HD. FUNimation has revealed in their press release that they have the 16:9 Widescreen HD masters of those episodes.

Q: Then, will we get a Blu-ray of that?
    A: FUNimation currently doesn't have Blu-ray rights for those episodes but noted it was possible and they would be looking into the release format. Most likely, if a Blu-ray release happens it will either be a dual-release (IE: Both a DVD and A Blu-ray release simultaniously) as they have done with Dragon Ball Kai or they will do a Blu-ray/DVD "Combo Pack" with both formats in one box as they have done with Fairy Tail.

Q: Are FUNimation's releases Uncut?
    A: Yes, Absolutely no in-episode animation content has been changed whatsoever from the Japanese DVD release.

Q: Are there any differences at all then?
    A: FUNimation has a new "Gold" logo that they use for their releases, the Logo has been replaced wherever it appears. (IE, opening and closing themes and Eyecatches) Also, the episode title cards (Reading off the name of the episode) have been rendered in English and no Japanese option is available for them. Other than that, the material is left alone.

Q: Is Zoro "Zoro" or is he "Zolo"?
    A: Zoro's name is rendered as "Zoro" in all text appearences (Subtitles, title cards, packaging etc) and spoken word (dub, special features) on FUNimation's DVDs. For some reason, his wanted poster in the Eyecatch will occasionally say "Zolo" on the season 1 discs, but this is both an unintentional error that was corrected and is on screen for less than one second and to see it, you must frame-by-frame view the scene. Otheriwse he is "Zoro" at all times.

Q: How is the Quality Dub?
    A: This is subjective from person to person, but has recieved positive response from fans overall.

Q: Is the translation accurate in both formats?
    A: Yes, the subtitles are accurate to what is being said, however nothing is left in Japanese except for honorifics and the occasional name. All words are translated to English including Devil Fruit names, attacks, Shichibukai (to Seven Warlords of the Sea) and "Nakama".
    The dub is mostly accurate but occasionally has to make slight alterations to match Lip-flap

Q: What about all the series-specific terms?
    A: Everything is translated. For the first 2 seasons, a very small number of terms had to be left in their Viz/4kids forms at the request of Toei animation. However, they are few and far between. (Such as one or two of Kuro and Arlong's attacks)
    Last edited by firecrouch; August 4th, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: change image

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Funimation dvd discussion II

I'm sure it's been said before, but I'm really liking how they've changed up the box covers for season three.

Nice recap and it's cool seeing all the cover arts all lined up! ^^
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

Man I love the Season 1 and 2 covers so much more than the S3 ones. S2V4 and S2V5 are poster worthy. So damn epic.
    "And One Piece is a great title. We feel we needed to do the
    more authentic dub that's exactly like the Japanese version."

- Gen Fukunaga, CEO and Founder of Funimation

Wow looking at the covers all lined up together I can really tell the change I like the Season 3 covers the most though but it doesn't really matter to me though

the S3 V2 Cover looks awesome.
    ... I still think its cool that the series is now back to where it started :D :D

Now im 2 seasons behind now D:
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Truly history in the making here, and I'm on the first page. (Ho ho!) I wonder how many years this thread will last? Or if it will even last one.

Happy to see the "unofficial" gone as well.

First page! New thread, let's re-post the currently speculated release schedule:

S3V1- July 6th, 2010 (Confirmed)
    S3V2- August 31st, 2010 (Confirmed)
    S3V3- October 26th, 2010 (Confirmed)
    S3V4- December 21st, 2010 (Speculated)
    G-8- February 15th, 2011 (Speculated)
    DBF- April 12th, 2011 (Speculated)

This is all assuming the releases follow the same pattern they have since S2V3
    Last edited by Kitsune Inferno; July 14th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

Now I've been reminded I need to update the FAQ topic. Darkstorm, I'm sure you won't mind if I add your recap to it (credited of course)?

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Sure. I've fixed some typos and updated the second image(seems like pretty much everyone has the prototype image for S1V1) since.

Edit from the future!
    Last edited by LUFFY#1 fan; August 11th, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Happy 20th anniversary, One Piece anime!

Yay for the new topic! So, getting the ball rolling, when are the actors supposed to resume dubbing? If I'm remembering correctly, someone on the One Piece Podcast said this autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by Get_It_Memorized View Post
    Yay for the new topic! So, getting the ball rolling, when are the actors supposed to resume dubbing? If I'm remembering correctly, someone on the One Piece Podcast said this autumn.
    From what I remember, I thought it was gonna be as soon as Season 3 First Voyage officially hits shelves. That way they have some leeway while Season 3 is coming out on DVD.
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by demonkicksanji View Post
    From what I remember, I thought it was gonna be as soon as Season 3 First Voyage officially hits shelves. That way they have some leeway while Season 3 is coming out on DVD.
    What he said. There are rumors that Funi has been subbing the W7 episodes, so the dubbing and releasing of said episodes should go by much faster.

Excellent recap Darkstorm.

The Season 3 covers look like if they were celebrating since the 4kids curse has gone away. Btw I recommend that everyone who hasn't pre-ordered Season V1 and V2 on RightStuf to do it soon. With the FUNi sale it's only $29.99, and if you have gotanime membership $26.99
    Last edited by BatrozX; May 28th, 2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: FUNi sale ends on June 3rd

The Season 3 covers look fantastic x.x

too bad I'll probably never have them in my hands xD

REALLY looking forward to Water 7 and Enies Lobby. Go Patrick Seitz! (or something like that) xD

(yay first page)

Very good recap, Darkstorm.

Anyways....those Season 3 covers look amazing. Just think, not too long, and Water 7 will be here.

Discovered Stowaway

Just out of curiosity, where do you guys think season three will end? I'd say after the post Davy Back Fight filler since season four is going to be a long one as it is.
    Last edited by candrew; May 28th, 2010 at 01:41 PM.

I hope Season 3 ends after the G8 arc because it would be a little weird if the episodes would suddenly be in widescreen in the same season. Season 4 should begin with the Davy Back Fight, so S4 would be the beginning of the widescreen/HD era. (I'm not sure if DBF and Water 7 already were in HD because HD fan recordings only exist since Enies Lobby)

But yeah, Season 4 would be long as shit. Except they would divide the CP9 Saga into two seasons:
    S4 would be 207-263 (DBF till the episode where you see Enies Lobby for the first time/end of "Sea Train Arc"). 56 episodes.
    S5 would be 264-325. (Enies Lobby and Thousand Sunny Arc) 61 episodes.

That would be more balanced.

The Icehunter filler should be in "Season 6" (Thriller Bark) so that season has a similar number of episodes like the other seasons.
    Last edited by InvaderP; May 28th, 2010 at 01:42 PM.

Discovered Stowaway

That's a possible solution though I'm not sure if they'll split Water 7 and Enies Lobby up since they seem to be doing the arcs as seasons.

Closed Thread

Thread Information