+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 358

Thread: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

  1. #161
    Thank you PN for Avatar ^^ Gorlom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    European timezone

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by amizou View Post
    no i'm sure that it works only in the new world, u can check this: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/489/17/
    mistranslation as in Ulrilra messed up when he translated that part.

    Same thing with Fishman island. He calls it merman island throughout the chapter but gyojin is fishman (arlongs race) not merman (kokoros race).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    What the...? Holy smurf am I slow! Until this statement of yours I never even realized that an octopus is actually serving octopusballs. Talk about not seeing the forest because of too many trees. *facepalm*

  2. #162

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by amizou View Post
    no i'm sure that it works only in the new world, u can check this: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/489/17/
    No, you're not understanding me.
    That's a mistranslation, it did NOT say that in the original Japanese.
    Risky says the cards are only found in the New World, not that it only works in the New World.

    I'm a native Japanese myself, I can guarantee you on this.

  3. #163

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Dunno if this was brought up and I'm too lazy to skim through the board to look for it, but about Hancock...

    Do you think she could be the last Shichibukai? We all know that all Shichibukai (except Blackbeard, but he's a newcomer) are named after animals. Hancock could possibly be a play on peacock. The name doesn't have to perfectly match the animal; there's no Do in Flamingo, is there? And Jinbei may not sound like an animal, but it actually means Whale Shark.

  4. #164
    Legendary Sea King whaleblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Raftel

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    No, you're not understanding me.
    That's a mistranslation, it did NOT say that in the original Japanese.
    Risky says the cards are only found in the New World, not that it only works in the New World.

    I'm a native Japanese myself, I can guarantee you on this.
    Ya~ ya~
    Even if we don't know Japanese, but it really make more sense that the biblicard can use any where around the one peace world.

  5. #165
    Brook Fan Strongbad456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Bridgewater, Massachusetts

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by game2005 View Post
    Dunno if this was brought up and I'm too lazy to skim through the board to look for it, but about Hancock...

    Do you think she could be the last Shichibukai? We all know that all Shichibukai (except Blackbeard, but he's a newcomer) are named after animals. Hancock could possibly be a play on peacock. The name doesn't have to perfectly match the animal; there's no Do in Flamingo, is there? And Jinbei may not sound like an animal, but it actually means Whale Shark.
    Or it could possibly be a play on the word cock which can mean a rooster. Maybe a Shichibukai will have a rooster theme?


  6. #166
    just like new Impel Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    a,e,i,o, and the rest

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    They said Pirate Empress, though, so maybe they're hinting that she's with the Yonkou, although none of the two silhouettes looks like a woman's, although she could just be in their crew, or be a powerful NW pirate.

    But if she's a Shichibukai, I think a peacock and a flamingo would be too many colorful birds.


  7. #167

  8. #168

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Impel Down View Post
    They said Pirate Empress, though, so maybe they're hinting that she's with the Yonkou, although none of the two silhouettes looks like a woman's, although she could just be in their crew, or be a powerful NW pirate.

    But if she's a Shichibukai, I think a peacock and a flamingo would be too many colorful birds.
    Well, it doesn't carry over well in translation, but the character used for her as "empress" is diffrent from the ones used for Youkou.
    Yonkou uses 皇, which is usually used for Japanese emperors. It also means kings.
    Hancock was referred to as 女帝, and 帝 is usually used for Chinese and other foreign emperors.
    In Chinese mythology terms, 皇 and 帝 have other diffrent celestial meanings, but we won't get into that.

    Further more, 女帝 meaning empress is often used in everyday Japanese to just mean a bossy lady, or a woman in charge with great power.

    I think associating her as a Yonkou, simply because of translated meaning of empress, is too early at this point.

  9. #169
    just like new Impel Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    a,e,i,o, and the rest

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    I just thought it was a little foreshadowing, is all.

    You make me feel like such a Westerner...


  10. #170

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    No, you're not understanding me.
    That's a mistranslation, it did NOT say that in the original Japanese.
    Risky says the cards are only found in the New World, not that it only works in the New World.

    I'm a native Japanese myself, I can guarantee you on this.
    thx for the explanation, now it makes more sense, but i still think their next destination will be fishmen island

  11. #171

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    OK its official!!!!!
    thriller bark arc its the arc that nami most changing outfit!!!

    its the 6th one and the last one before that arc end (i fink)

    you can see by my signature how many outfits so far

  12. #172
    just like new Impel Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    a,e,i,o, and the rest

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    She only changes her outfit twice in that arc...


  13. #173
    Yare yare daze... Accelerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Infinite Stratos Academy

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by amizou View Post
    no i'm sure that it works only in the new world, u can check this: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/489/17/
    That Franky House scan uses the wrong translation Aohige's talking about.
    u can check this:
    http://dl01.mangashare.com/manga/One-Piece/489/016.jpg

  14. #174

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Impel Down View Post
    She only changes her outfit twice in that arc...
    1.- After the Bath in the mansion.
    2.- The Wedding Dress.
    3.- Perona's clothes.

    That's three.

  15. #175
    Discovered Stowaway slippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Najiabreza

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    i believe the paper will lead them in the direction of merman island but its actually past merman island, they pick up one (female) as #10 and use her to help them get to impel down. and can people start using vivre card and not bibli, vivre = living in french, bibli = bibliotecaaaaa

  16. #176
    モデル:パシフィスタ Yan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, New York, USA

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzzie View Post
    If he's under the protection of a Yonkou then why is he dying? Eh eh?

    I know what you mean, but the fact is he's dying(? lol), and Luffy won't ignore it.
    Whitebeard, currently located in the New World, should be on the move, if anything. I doubt he'd be able to get to Impel Down so quickly (especially if it's located on the Grand Line).

    Also... I wouldn't be too surprised if Shanks also felt as if it was partially his duty to free Ace.

  17. #177

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by slippy View Post
    i believe the paper will lead them in the direction of merman island but its actually past merman island, they pick up one (female) as #10 and use her to help them get to impel down. and can people start using vivre card and not bibli, vivre = living in french, bibli = bibliotecaaaaa
    Actually it very well could be bibli. If you look in the translation section there's a comment on the black spot and tearing a page from the bible. So, we won't know until Oda says so.

  18. #178

    Exclamation Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Caraccidential View Post
    1.- After the Bath in the mansion.
    2.- The Wedding Dress.
    3.- Perona's clothes.

    That's three.
    lest count it again:

    1. the no back outfit (in the start of the arc)
    2. the pink and black outfit ( after absalom accident)
    3. the wedding drees (well, you knew when)
    4. Perona's clothes (from oz fight to the kuma thingy XP)
    5. a dress ( party time!!!!)
    6. a polka-dot buttons shirt and pants (in this ch.)

    total caunt: 6

  19. #179
    GULAŠ Brooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    I don't live, I'm KICKING ASS!

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    well, Oda loves to invent nami's clothes that's for sure xD

  20. #180
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer AWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The City of Townsville

    Default Re: Chapter 489 "The Eighth" Discussion

    Isn't Nami's costant change of clothes a homage to Bulma?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts